• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

ataraxia

International Coach
I’d have no problem at all rating Barrington as the 5th greatest English test batsman.
6th best for me. Ofc Hutton, Hobbs, and Hammond are ahead of him, then I also rate Grace and Ranji. That said Barrington was incredibly good, just I have 4 English batsmen in my world XI. Barrington's overseas record is absolutely incredible.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
6th best for me. Ofc Hutton, Hobbs, and Hammond are ahead of him, then I also rate Grace and Ranjj. That said Barrington was incredibly good, just I have 4 English batsmen in my world XI. Barrington's overseas record is absolutely incredible.
Yeah I particularly mentioned tests due to Grace. Ranji is definitely up there too.

smash84

The Tiger King
Not really. Imran hit 55 sixes in tests but had a strike rate of around 40 (from what I read in an article a few years back).
I don't recall imran having a reputation for hitting sixes in tests, although i do recall him having a reputation for hitting big sixes in ODIs.

but misbah had this habit of tuk, tuk, tuk,...tuk, 6. Used to do that very often

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sidhu was the original master of that. He only ever had two shots against the spinners, the forward defense and the down the track six.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not the same workload but Kallis bowled more overs in tests than Sobers, Steyn, Wasim and many other ATG bowlers. He also played tons of ODIs.
So how exactly is 20232 a bigger number than 21599?

When you consider 166 games against 93 it's obvious who had the heavier workload.

sunilz

International Regular
Rohit and Dhoni(WK) is a much better ODI combo than Gilchrist(WK) and Bevan . No way Gilchrist is a better ODI batsman than Rohit . AFAIC Gilchrist is permanently out of ODI ATXI spot.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Rohit and Dhoni(WK) is a much better ODI combo than Gilchrist(WK) and Bevan . No way Gilchrist is a better ODI batsman than Rohit . AFAIC Gilchrist is permanently out of ODI ATXI spot.
To me, Jayasuriya or Rohit + Dhoni and Gilchrist + Bevan combination almost bring the same set of super values to the table and all are equals. No way to rate one combination better than the other. Gilchrist's ODI average looks poor only because he was the aggressor in a strong stable batting line-up. He is much better than that average.

ataraxia

International Coach
Tendulkar
Bradman
Kohli
Grace
Sobers
de Villiers
Dhoni +

I have no real idea about ODI bowling, but that is my AT ODI batting lineup. Obviously different to a normal ODI XI but I like this more.

sunilz

International Regular
To me, Jayasuriya or Rohit + Dhoni and Gilchrist + Bevan combination almost bring the same set of super values to the table and all are equals. No way to rate one combination better than the other. Gilchrist's ODI average looks poor only because he was the aggressor in a strong stable batting line-up. He is much better than that average.
Sehwag was also a much better ODI batsman than his average . So, let Sehwag and Tendulkar open in ATXI and Dhoni be the wkt according to your logic.

ataraxia

International Coach
Sehwag was also a much better ODI batsman than his average . So, let Sehwag and Tendulkar open in ATXI and Dhoni be the wkt according to your logic.
You know what, let's include Tim Seifert solely because he is better than his average according to your logic. Brilliant misrepresentation.