• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Faulkner : 1 and 1
WHAT!!! That's amazing. I am guessing he is the only cricketer ever to have achieved #1 ranking in both discipline. Although his peak rating points for bowling (639) are far behind peak batting points (877). In line with his reputation as primarily a batsman.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WHAT!!! That's amazing. I am guessing he is the only cricketer ever to have achieved #1 ranking in both discipline. Although his peak rating points for bowling (639) are far behind peak batting points (877). In line with his reputation as primarily a batsman.
Fewer cricketers around then which makes it easier tbh.

sunilz

International Regular
One of the major reason for Kallis being under-rated is his performance vs AUS and ENG. In cricket, unless you perform exceptionally well against these 2 countries you will never be rated higher because 70-80% of the cricket writers are from these countries. Cricket writers of other countries are mainly cheerleaders. Also there is huge media coverage when matches are played in Eng and Aus.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I have always been curious about the lack of any mention of Barrington in most ATG threads. Barrington performed against everyone and everywhere yet even hardcore fans barely remember him.

An average of 58 after playing 80 Tests is unreal. Among players who have scored more than 5000 runs, only Don Bradman and Steven Smith average more than Barrington.
Barrington averaged only 43 in first class matches outside tests. Is it because English county cricket was insanely strong as compared to the international teams KB faced ? I find it extremely hard to believe. While we should not be rating cricketers based on their FC records, this gives an indication that the test average of 58 should not be taken on face value. He was better than over romanticized players like Dexter and May but does not belong to the same league as Hammond, Hutton or Hobbs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was pretty surprised he was ranked #1 in bowling. So much so that I was tempted to dig into it.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis vs. Ponting as batsmen will be a good comparison to make. Kallis is quite solid in all countries except England and Sri Lanka, averaging 35 in each country. Ponting on the other hand had legendary struggles in India while being slightly better in England (average 41).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually agree with sunilz on something, wow

I need a stiff drink now
Haha yeah I thought that too. I even started typing up a post suggesting I was suspicious of the thought process that led to that perhaps-accidentally correct opinion but I thought I was being too much of a dick so I didn't finish it.

Logan

U19 Captain
Barrington averaged only 43 in first class matches outside tests. Is it because English county cricket was insanely strong as compared to the international teams KB faced ? I find it extremely hard to believe. While we should not be rating cricketers based on their FC records, this gives an indication that the test average of 58 should not be taken on face value. He was better than over romanticized players like Dexter and May but does not belong to the same league as Hammond, Hutton or Hobbs.

Fair enough. But isn’t it strange that someone as gritty as Barrington who averaged 58 in Tests averaged just 45 in First Class. Did he not take First Class cricket seriously?

h_hurricane

Fair enough. But isn’t it strange that someone as gritty as Barrington who averaged 58 in Tests averaged just 45 in First Class. Did he not take First Class cricket seriously?
Strange perhaps. May be early in his career, he was n't quite the batsman that he went on to become.

Logan

U19 Captain
An attacking batsman with flair is often held in higher regard than a gritty batsman.

Whether it is Ponting vs Kallis or Sobers vs Barrington.

Unless the difference in statistics is obvious like in the case of Smith vs Kohli.

h_hurricane

Barrington hit 27 sixes in test cricket :laugh: By all indications, he was a flamboyant stroke player who curbed his natural instincts to become highly successful.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Ken Barrington played 82 Tests.

Gary Sobers played 93 Tests.

Yes, Sobers played more Tests. But won’t call it a “much longer”.
Check years of play.

Sobers belongs in a unique longevity club of being an ATG batsman of that level of longevity with Hobbs, Hutton (to a lesser extent), Bradman, SRT, Hammond and Headley. It’s not a coincidence that those batsman are rated so highly.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Check years of play.

Sobers belongs in a unique longevity club of being an ATG batsman of that level of longevity with Hobbs, Hutton (to a lesser extent), Bradman, SRT, Hammond and Headley. It’s not a coincidence that those batsman are rated so highly.
G Pollock too.