• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Russia, Samoa

Which 2 teams will qualify for the Quarter Finals?

• Japan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russia

• Samoa

• Total voters

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
I really don't think it's hard to see at all. Their entire game plan is made to beat teams like SA.
Well, I did explain why I think that. It was in the rest of the sentence - the bit you decided not to quote. Much as I've enjoyed the way Japan's played so far, I think SA has the form and knockout game experience to win comfortably. They have a better team and a better coach than they had when Japan upset them in 2015.

Would love to be proved wrong, though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I did explain why I think that. It was in the rest of the sentence - the bit you decided not to quote. Much as I've enjoyed the way Japan's played so far, I think SA has the form and knockout game experience to win comfortably. They have a better team and a better coach than they had when Japan upset them in 2015.

Would love to be proved wrong, though.
Japan also have a better team and a better coach though. The difference between this Japan and the last one is a much much better defensive structure (Jamie Joseph basically engineered the Highlanders' super rugby win with exceptional defensive organisation), as well as a reliable set piece which includes a pretty serviceable scrum.

Not saying they're definitely going to win or anything...but Ireland was a serious team and they got seriously beaten too.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA did hammer Japan in the warm-up game... which while not a clear indication is a definite advantage going into the game.

Bench strength is going to make the difference. SA locks are far superior both starting line-up and off the bench, SA tight five will probably be the key and likely SA will be able to win the breakdown. Loose forwards are closer in strength and skill. If we decide on a stupid kicking game giving them the ball, and allowing them to run at us it will get really tight. If SA can keep hands on the ball and keep it tight probably grind a win with the last 20 min creating a clear advantage as bench strength comes into play.

Last edited:

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Japan also have a better team and a better coach though. The difference between this Japan and the last one is a much much better defensive structure (Jamie Joseph basically engineered the Highlanders' super rugby win with exceptional defensive organisation), as well as a reliable set piece which includes a pretty serviceable scrum.

Not saying they're definitely going to win or anything...but Ireland was a serious team and they got seriously beaten too.
Deffo agree Joseph > Eddie, and a special mention to Tony Brown for his sterling work with the attack. But I just have a feeling this will be a bridge too far for Japan.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah they're obviously underdogs but they're clearly good enough to have a chance.