• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd thread - Ashes predictions

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously though, Archer is fast and England aren't used to seeing bowlers bowl fast. Except Wood I guess. And Finn/ Tremlett a few years ago. In fact Archer isn't that special except that he does it so effortlessly.
The rather breathless post-Test analysis of Archer's bowling included lots of lists of "fastest overs by England bowlers" etc. Basically comprised Finn, Harmison, Flintoff, Wood.

Fred was quick, and a beast. But he isn't half the bowler Jofra is.

#GOSBTS

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The rather breathless post-Test analysis of Archer's bowling included lots of lists of "fastest overs by England bowlers" etc. Basically comprised Finn, Harmison, Flintoff, Wood.

Fred was quick, and a beast. But he isn't half the bowler Jofra is.

#GOSBTS
No need to exaggerate Mr Z - Fred was a good 70% of the bowler Jofra is

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
No need to exaggerate Mr Z - Fred was a good 70% of the bowler Jofra is
Was just thinking this. Fred was a magnificent bowler: quick, nasty, and bowled heroic spells. But without wishing to get overly statsguru about it, he only managed 4 five wicket hauls in his entire FC career, and averaged nearly 33 with the ball in Tests.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was just thinking this. Fred was a magnificent bowler: quick, nasty, and bowled heroic spells. But without wishing to get overly statsguru about it, he only managed 4 five wicket hauls in his entire FC career, and averaged nearly 33 with the ball in Tests.
Well, it's four more than Archer currently has... For now anyway

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This kind of posting is unacceptable. Official warning.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was also indirectly responsible for most of Matthew Hoggard's and Ashley Giles' wickets

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This kind of posting is unacceptable. Official warning.
And another thing. Fred also got to bowl much more often in the bowler-friendly dank murky conditions which prevail in his part of the world. And that's during the brief spells when cricket was even possible.

King Pietersen

International Captain
To go full Statsguru - In the 37 Tests Flintoff played between 01 Jan 2004 and 31 Dec 2006 he took 144 wickets at 26.96 and averaged 24 at home. In that same period he averaged nearly 38 with the bat with 3 hundreds, and averaged 46 in England. In his prime Flintoff was ****ing good. He was picked too early, and played on too long with a dodgy ankle, but was still capable of producing genuinely fast and wicket-taking spells with that dodgy ankle. Jofra's had a great start, but he's got some way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Flintoff for me.

Burgey

Had a series for the ages in 2005. I think they cruelled him when they made him captain. And of course, the injuries didn't help, and his - let's call it rehab regime - didn't do his large frame any favours. But I loved watching him play. All box office.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Captaincy and injuries not unrelated IMO. Bowled himself into the ground against Sri Lanka and was never the same afterwards.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
He was also indirectly responsible for most of Matthew Hoggard's and Ashley Giles' wickets
Hoggard got plenty of wickets off his own one dimensional but effective outswing donkey work. The Ashes series from 2001 and 2002-3 are my witness #nitpicking

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Score: 5-0 to England
Most runs: Root
Most wickets: Anderson
Worst poster in the subbie: Burgey
First one can't happen, second one looks unlikely (though he is 4th amazingly), third possible technically but not really, fourth is on course

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I've either smashed my predictions or got them horribly wrong so far, not much in between. Will quote them at the end of the series.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
First one can't happen, second one looks unlikely (though he is 4th amazingly), third possible technically but not really, fourth is on course
I have a strong feeling that Root will pile on the runs in the next test. You can tell he has the bit between his teeth now and wants to prove the doubters wrong.

That said Smith will probably score another pair of tons so.

TheJediBrah

Can't see him taking 5 wickets but I'll predict him to make a century, probably in the 1st innings