• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Smith is indeed ruled out and there's a bit in the deck, test cricket could have its first scoreless tie.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson in Australia would probably not be a swing bowler. After feeling his way for the first season or two he'd probably have become Australia's staple seam merchant.
He spent 7 years in and out of the English team before he came good for England. I imagine he'd have languished in the shield (certainly until at least 2008) if he was Australian.

I think you're right about how his style would have evolved. Hopefully Jhye Richardson doesn't go down the same path.

To back up my previous point, if we take the entire careers of Hilfenhaus, Bird and every bowler who only got a couple of games over the last decade and gave them to Anderson he'd have played around 40 tests (assuming those guys never had an overlapping test). Throwing in Bollinger's career too and were up to around 50 tests total. If he stole say 10 tests from Siddle's career that brings him up to 60 tests. Assuming 4.5 wpm (very high, but whatever) he gets 260 wickets. But that's quite generous I think.

Thank God he was born English.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smith being concussed could be the thing which saves Bancroft's career. I can see him getting a jammy hundred and surviving to the next home summer before feasting on the Pakistan attack at home to cement his place.

Burgey

Smith being concussed could be the thing which saves Bancroft's career. I can see him getting a jammy hundred and surviving to the next home summer before feasting on the Pakistan attack at home to cement his place.
Mate there's only a maximum of six digs left to get his aggregate up to one hundred.

morgieb

Yeah this is like arguing Warne wouldn't make the Indian team or something.

EDIT: In any case, don't agree he would've languished in the Shield for particularly long. Remember there was a period where he was first starting out that the likes of Brad Williams were regularly playing Tests. He probably would've gotten a chance back then (this was 2004 FWIW), particularly if he looked as promising with the white ball as he did early doors.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Just as an fyi this is was also the generally held opinion surrounding Philander, and even after taking buckets of wickets at FC level was still not considered international quality by many, eventually he could no longer be ignored. And was finally picked because he could bat as well. Philander may have never made the team if he was not a decent no 7/8.
You obviously haven't seen Feldman then. Absolute prank bowler

flibbertyjibber

Yeah this is like arguing Warne wouldn't make the Indian team or something.

EDIT: In any case, don't agree he would've languished in the Shield for particularly long. Remember there was a period where he was first starting out that the likes of Brad Williams were regularly playing Tests. He probably would've gotten a chance back then (this was 2004 FWIW), particularly if he looked as promising with the white ball as he did early doors.
Also you wouldn't have messed him up for years by trying to change his action.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is quality. When Australia were at their supreme peak there were Australians claiming that Brian Lara wouldn’t have made the team. It’s just the Australian way. Quaint in its way.

Burgey

Lara would have just snuck in at six in the mid 90s just ahead of Blewett but not Boonie.

Even the most avid Australian fan would admit that.

Victor Ian

International Coach
"I think it showed without Steve (on Sunday) we were able to get the job done, which is a positive."
"But we know we have got guys who are in form and playing well, so if that is the case in a few days' time it will be great to still have (Smith) and hopefully, he comes good but I think we have got the batting in the sheds that can do the job."

Can you believe this ****? Smith is in form. Labuschagne has had one innings, so hard to tell. The rest range from erratic to outright formless.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
If Smith plays I hope he is truly is 100% over his concussion but it is hard to see how he could be completely over it. Apart from his head his arm is probably going to be less than 100% as well. Just play Labuschagne and hope the batting still does okay. It is not like England have any better batting lineup.

TheJediBrah

Bancroft has to go. I was backing him for this series based on form but he's been a completely different player in the Tests. Doesn't even look the same batsman (not that he was brilliant before mind you). I know it was just one innings but Labu showed that he's got some balls, and it takes typical Pom cheating to get him out, so he has to play this Test.

Uppercut

Playing Smith would still seem a big risk to me. Too big, in act.
You think it might be too risky sending him out to bat against Jofra Archer when a blow to the head is likely to kill him or leave him permanently disabled?