• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find this sort of thing very interesting. They're doing all they can to assure fairness, without "discriminating" against transgender people, but there is always going to be a physical advantage for someone born male and grown up as a male, regardless of their current testosterone levels. Which you can very easily claim is discriminating against those born naturally female.
Yeah I feel it's a tricky subject. You'd feel hard done by if you were a fringe cis female player losing a spot to a trans female who let's face it, could likely bowl a lot faster and hit a lot further

I've heard the argument that the hormone treatment reduces the physical advantage by a lot but I'm not fully convinced of that.

It's one issue I can sound conservative on but meh

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've heard the argument that the hormone treatment reduces the physical advantage by a lot but I'm not fully convinced of that.
Yeah I don't know how much it's really been studied, if at all to any legitimate extent, but it definitely would make a big difference. But you can't completely undo years of growing up with male hormones, with a male frame, associated musculature etc. There's always going to be an advantage there

mr_mister

Yeah I don't know how much it's really been studied, if at all to any legitimate extent, but it definitely would make a big difference. But you can't completely undo years of growing up with male hormones, with a male frame, associated musculature etc. There's always going to be an advantage there
I guess it can vary depending how early the treatment started. I literally just remembered I have a 60 yr old trans woman client(Im a support worker) who didn't start treatment til waaay later in life than most and she loves cricket.

We went to the nets last summer a few times for light exercise and despite being 60 with early stage Parkinson's she could still wallop a ball and had a technique obviously developed and honed well by coaches when she was a teenager presenting as a boy

On that note though I remember a lot of female junior bats were quite hard to dismiss as a youngster(we had 1-2 really good ones in our comp who regulatrly got fifties) it was just bowling where they fell behind

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Rather bizarre story involving Darren Gough. A couple of weeks ago he was on a safari holiday and got stung by a scorpion. The people he was staying with told him there was no point calling for medical help because they're over 40 minutes from the nearest treatment centre and if it was the right (or wrong) type of scorpion he'd be dead before he could be treated. So he waited half an hour and didn't die, so then went back to sleep.

mr_mister

^from the Sun:

'We were too far from a hospital for treatment even if they scrambled a helicopter it would take 40 minutes to reach us – I would be dead on arrival.

So I just sat there and waited – the missus just turned over and went back to sleep.'

His wife didn't seem too fussed lol

Bolo

State Captain
You develop a level of fatalism when there isn't much other choice. Used to have a nest of black mambas under my house when I was a kid. Two and a half hours from the nearest hospital. No chance.

Either kill them or run when you see them, but no sense worrying in general.

mr_mister

Ah okay cool. You must be the only representation from there on this forum surely

And it's not so much about fatalism that surprised me, you'd think his wife would stay by his side/plan to say goodbye in case it was a deadly scorpion ha. Instead of going back to sleep. Maybe the chances of it being a deadly one were super low and she was playing the percentages

vcs

Ah okay cool. You must be the only representation from there on this forum surely

And it's not so much about fatalism that surprised me, you'd think his wife would stay by his side/plan to say goodbye in case it was a deadly scorpion ha. Instead of going back to sleep. Maybe the chances of it being a deadly one were super low and she was playing the percentages
Gotta get your sleep in

He might not have had to wake up the next day, but she certainly did

Bolo

State Captain

Can't lay claim to that unique distinction I'm afraid. I'm South African, just bounce around a lot.

morgieb

Not sure whether this question deserves a thread or not so I'll ask it here;

What do people think are examples of unlucky batsmen and lucky bowlers?

We often talk about the opposite of each spectrum (lucky batsmen and unlucky bowlers), but that's partially because luck in the batsmen favour (i.e. dropped catches and the like) seems easier to quantify. But no-one seems capable of giving a great answer for the other end of the spectrum (and when CricViz tried something similar they got mocked mercilessly). So who do people think count?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Liam Pluknett is extremely lucky, his back of a length cross seam stuff looks pretty terrible imo, he really should get slaughtered a lot more often than he does. He isn't accurate, he doesn't swing it, and his pace is only really medium fast these days.

Mitch McClenaghan almost as bad, pretty much a left arm Plunkett

Daemon

Tsotsobe and McKay were pretty lucky I thought. Both have very similar numbers in ODIs that are pretty amazing tbh. Averages of ~24 with economies of 4.75.

morgieb

Tsotsobe and McKay were pretty lucky I thought. Both have very similar numbers in ODIs that are pretty amazing tbh. Averages of ~24 with economies of 4.75.
Of course in their case I think it helps that their peaks were quite small and they were dumped not long afterwards.

One Test bowler who I think is kinda lucky is Moeen. Generally not threatening on wickets which aren't turning, doesn't have good control. I know his Test stats aren't great in any case but IMO they should be a fair bit worse. (though in his defence he's probably bowled better in games which I didn't see)

TheJediBrah

I always thought Brendon McCullum was very lucky. Never seen a guy get anywhere near as much of his runs from edges over the slips/keeper. Big part of that was his batting style, obviously.

Daemon

Of course in their case I think it helps that their peaks were quite small and they were dumped not long afterwards.
tbf if you're looking at players that have a bigger sample size then it's almost certainly not down to luck anymore

morgieb

I always thought Brendon McCullum was very lucky. Never seen a guy get anywhere near as much of his runs from edges over the slips/keeper. Big part of that was his batting style, obviously.
Yeah most very attacking batsmen are like that, at least in Tests. Though I guess my overall point was that while there's quite a few batsmen who ride their luck long-term, are there too many examples of the latter where a batsman is genuinely unlucky for a fair period of time?

tbf if you're looking at players that have a bigger sample size then it's almost certainly not down to luck anymore
True to a point, but I do think there are examples of players who seem to get more luck/bad luck than others.