• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the pacers - who do you think will be the best?

Spark

Global Moderator
Obviously australian pitches are easier for bowlers who have grown up bowling on them lol. Same way most Aussie bowlers have a better record in Australia as they do in England
> Easy pitches that anyone can score tons of runs on
> Favourable pitches that are easy to bowl on for those who grew up on them.

Pick one. Or, alternatively, actually watch the bloke bowl before making judgments.

Also a reminder that ever since 2009 the key English bowler in the Ashes has been Broad, not Anderson.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
> Easy pitches that anyone can score tons of runs on
> Favourable pitches that are easy to bowl on for those who grew up on them.

Pick one. Or, alternatively, actually watch the bloke bowl before making judgments.

Also a reminder that ever since 2009 the key English bowler in the Ashes has been Broad, not Anderson.
Did you miss the 10-11 series?

Plenty of Anderson specials in the home wins since too.

Spark

Global Moderator
Did you miss the 10-11 series?

Plenty of Anderson specials in the home wins since too.
I actually was going to edit that to "in England" but forgot. But I do reckon that without Broad, things are dramatically different in 2009, arguably different in 2013 (Anderson got the plaudits at TB and rightly so but Broad actually bowled at least as well if not better IMO without reward, and really asphyxiated Australia at vital stages during the run chase). And of course 2015.

There's a case to be made that England would still have won all those series without Anderson (certainly 2009). I don't think you could make such a case without Broad, IMO he's been your most consistent bowler with the exception of 2010/11 which he missed.

I guess my point is that the bloke is still, somehow, underrated, at least when it comes to the Ashes. He just consistently stands up in big series. But as you know this is a drum I've been beating basically on my entire time on this forum

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We wouldn’t have won in 09 without him bowling in tandem with Freddie at Lord’s. In fact we wouldn’t have won in 09 without his batting at Cardiff for that matter! He did fall off a cliff from the second did at Edgbaston on though.

2013, Broad was excellent at TB for sure but Anderson took a 10fer and we won by 14 runs. So feasibly we are one down with one played and the series dynamic is upside down.

2015, his six fer at Edgbaston was a deciding factor, obviously he went down injured later. But in a series we won 3-2 he bowled a match winning spell.

So personally I don’t think there is any such case tbh.

EDIT - completely agree with your on Broad in The Ashes though, as you know.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We wouldn’t have won in 09 without him bowling in tandem with Freddie at Lord’s. In fact we wouldn’t have won in 09 without his batting at Cardiff for that matter! He did fall off a cliff from the second did at Edgbaston on though.

2013, Broad was excellent at TB for sure but Anderson took a 10fer and we won by 14 runs. So feasibly we are one down with one played and the series dynamic is upside down.

2015, his six fer at Edgbaston was a deciding factor, obviously he went down injured later. But in a series we won 3-2 he bowled a match winning spell.

So personally I don’t think there is any such case tbh.

EDIT - completely agree with your on Broad in The Ashes though, as you know.
You blokes are just comparing enlisted ranks in Dad's Army here.

morgieb

Starc's ability to wipe out a tail which can actually bat is highly overrated. He can blast out numpties who hold the bat backwards (like the SL tailenders) better than anyone, but I'm highly dubious of his ability to run through a lower order like England which is filled with guys who wont just back away and expose the stumps every other ball.
Probably comes down to who they pick. If it's Woakes/Moeen/Broad/Anderson as the 8-11 his impact is over-rated as Woakes is a traditional batsman, Anderson is a genuine #11 at this point and Broad not too much better (OK Moeen is hacky but Nathan Lyon....)

If Archer or Curran plays instead though I think he might come in handy. He's not brilliant at blasting out good tails but hacky ones could be the difference between England's tail being a normal one and being a really frustrating one.

Burgey

Where does this idea come that Archer can hold the cue come from, regardless of his FC stats? Bloke barely looked like he knew which end to hold when he batted during the WC, limited opportunities nws.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It seems like Australia have all but confirmed that he'll play the first Test.
I'd say the goal would be tests 1/3/5, but see how he pulls up in between. With such a small gap between tests, there's no way he'll play them all. Playing the first gives him a decent chance of at least playing in 3.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'd say the goal would be tests 1/3/5, but see how he pulls up in between. With such a small gap between tests, there's no way he'll play them all. Playing the first gives him a decent chance of at least playing in 3.
There's a tour game before the 2nd and 4th tests though (where he can rest), so playing 1, 2 and 4 might allow him to play the 5th?

Tom Flint

International Regular
This pace attack was given 3 new balls in one day and still only managed 4 wickets. Why are they only bowling 86 mph are they trying to copy the English trundlers?

Kirkut

International Regular
Cummins Inc. has been a global leader in engine manufacturing, and Cummins will definitely not let his fans down by bowling with a powerful engine in the belly.