• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the pacers - who do you think will be the best?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trundler, have you seen him bowl much aside from YouTube videos? It's been that long I can barely recall how he went. I think last time he played a test match he was using that side on slingy type action, but looking at his recent FC highlights, it looks like he's reverted to his original action.

Edit: just looking at some footage of his highlights, it's amazing the amount of inside edges/ drag ons he used to get.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Pattinson should play instead of Starc, particularly in English conditions.
You will absolutely need Starc to handle that pesky English tail. The only occasion when no one should grudge him his lower order wickets.

I really don't see how Pattinson gets in unless there's an injury or if someone is woefully out of rhythm.

Burgey

You will absolutely need Starc to handle that pesky English tail. The only occasion when no one should grudge him his lower order wickets.

I really don't see how Pattinson gets in unless there's an injury or if someone is woefully out of rhythm.
I know it's been ages since he's played, but fmd the **** can bowl, man. I just want to see him play tbh, to see if he's still got it at the highest level.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Other than his 1st class record, none of his stats are that phenomenal tbh and they are mainly all from favourable conditions. Not denying he's a decent international bowler when fit, just not the gun that he's hyped up here to be

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's all about building a narrative. Makes it all the more sweet when he gets 3-14 in his first spell :happy:

Burgey

Other than his 1st class record, none of his stats are that phenomenal tbh and they are mainly all from favourable conditions. Not denying he's a decent international bowler when fit, just not the gun that he's hyped up here to be
Renowned green top Australian pitches which everyone else says are really tough to bowl on. Get in the bin.

stephen

You need to have watched him live.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Renowned green top Australian pitches which everyone else says are really tough to bowl on. Get in the bin.
Obviously australian pitches are easier for bowlers who have grown up bowling on them lol. Same way most Aussie bowlers have a better record in Australia as they do in England

OverratedSanity

Starc's ability to wipe out a tail which can actually bat is highly overrated. He can blast out numpties who hold the bat backwards (like the SL tailenders) better than anyone, but I'm highly dubious of his ability to run through a lower order like England which is filled with guys who wont just back away and expose the stumps every other ball.

mr_mister

I actually put $20 on Pattinson to top the wickets for Australia a week ago and he was paying $13.

He's now dropped to $4 and so TAB is offering a cash out number (affected purely by odds changing) of $48.

So I could more than double my money just for correctly predicting he'd get picked in the XI.

Deep down I really feel he won't get the most wickets for a number of reasons(open plans to use him sparingly for one) but I can't bring myself to cash out coz I'm so hyped for him to crush.

Feel like I'm on deal or no deal

Gob

International Coach
Lol ok

vcs

Starc's ability to wipe out a tail which can actually bat is highly overrated. He can blast out numpties who hold the bat backwards (like the SL tailenders) better than anyone, but I'm highly dubious of his ability to run through a lower order like England which is filled with guys who wont just back away and expose the stumps every other ball.
It depends if he gets reverse swing, but yeah it won't be as easy as it is for him with the white ball. He'll definitely get Moeen and probably Anderson as well.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
But that English tail has made merry against bowling attacks which suddenly forgot how to bowl to lower order batsmen. Case in point being India last summer. There is no way teams have bowled as well as they should have against a rookie like Curran for example.

All this is assuming Starc gets his pace and yorkers in right order obviously.

trundler

Trundler, have you seen him bowl much aside from YouTube videos? It's been that long I can barely recall how he went. I think last time he played a test match he was using that side on slingy type action, but looking at his recent FC highlights, it looks like he's reverted to his original action.

Edit: just looking at some footage of his highlights, it's amazing the amount of inside edges/ drag ons he used to get.
I've failed to find any small channels for matches he's played in since his return so YouTube is all I've got.