• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

howardj

International Coach
Not a Langer favourite.

Same reason Patterson got sent home. Hundreds in the previous test are not enough for Langer. You have to show true blue Aussie grit behind the scenes as well. Doesn't matter how low your batting average is, so long as you're a West Australian, or used to be a West Australian, Langer wants you.
Nor that Burns scored a century in an Aus A lead up game over there, or that he averages in the 40s (rather than in the 30s) in Tests, or that he's scored four Test centuries compared to nil (Harris and Bancroft)

Harris doesn't even fit in the wider squad (assuming Bangers and Warner open)

Harris is left handed (Burns is right), Harris is only an opener (Burns can bat anywhere in the order)

By any measure, Harris is JLs boy...his 'little brother' as he so lovingly referred to him

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't forget how much Langer was talking up Bancroft in the media while he was still banned.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Bancroft has the inside track, plus it makes the line up a bit less lefty-heavy. WOn't be too upset if he gets the nod over Harris, as tbh they're much of a muchness. Bancroft seems more prepared to grind than Harris to me, but that might just be my perception. I presume if he plays, Warner will run him out and grin at him having done so.

Bancroft
Warner
Pillow
TPC
Head
Wade/ Labushagne
Cummins
Patto
Lyon
Haze

would be my side out of the squad selected, though Stu Clark made a good point on the radio this morning - he reckons there's no way Wade plays because if he does and makes a mountain of runs, then the skipper batting behind him is under all sorts of pressure. It's a dick reason not to pick someone, so I would therefore expect it to absolutely be correct. He thinks that instead we will get MMarsh at six as bowling cover, despite the obvious fact that surely having a number six ahead of him who averages 20 will put more pressure on the skipper batting seven than picking a bloke who might actually score some runs.

If Marsh plays, I can genuinely see us going from 3/180 odd to 5/195 on a regular basis. he is that bad a batsman at test level. And it's been shown time and time and time again. the other benefit of Wade playing is it makes Warner only the second least likable bloke in the side.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Bancroft should definitely be picked ahead of Harris. Picking Harris for the first Test to open with Warner would be poor.

would be my side out of the squad selected, though Stu Clark made a good point on the radio this morning - he reckons there's no way Wade plays because if he does and makes a mountain of runs, then the skipper batting behind him is under all sorts of pressure. It's a dick reason not to pick someone, so I would therefore expect it to absolutely be correct. He thinks that instead we will get MMarsh at six as bowling cover, despite the obvious fact that surely having a number six ahead of him who averages 20 will put more pressure on the skipper batting seven than picking a bloke who might actually score some runs.
Surely Paine is on his last legs anyway. Given that this is a 5 Test series I would not be surprised at all if he doesn't even last out the whole Ashes. A bit like Brad Haddin in 2015.

aussie tragic

International Captain
^ given the success of Warne at Edgbaston, I'm pretty sure they'll have Labuschagne at 6 to bowl his legbreaks

Last edited:

stephen

But wade is a **** keeper. He's nowhere near the first choice for his glove work. Treat him like Sangakkara or Walcott with the gloves - don't make him keep and get him to focus on his batting instead.

Paine should feel no pressure. He's locked in as skipper for at least another 12 months.

stephen

Yeah but with his batting, why would you mess with that to try and shoehorn him in as keeper when you have Paine and then Carey being groomed to do the job.

Paine really is in no place too be dropped until Smith is eligible to captain again. And I don't really think Smith should captain that soon necessarily either.

Paine is in the twilight of his career but he's indispensable now.

stephen

Smith will never captain the Australian Test team again.
Well the choice in 12 months may be between him and Khawaja if Paine gets injured or retires. Personally I'd give it to Khawaja but that's only because I really don't rate Smith's captaincy.

stephen

And Labuschagne isn't fit to tie Warne's boots as a spinner.

Using Warne's ability to bowl somewhere as evidence of anything other than his genius is frankly being a bit silly.

Labuschagne might still get a run at 6, but Warne's bowling will have nothing to do with that.

mr_mister

Labbers over Marsh just coz hel likely score runs. Both of their bowling skills will probably, hopefully not be critical

aussie tragic

International Captain
And Labuschagne isn't fit to tie Warne's boots as a spinner.

Using Warne's ability to bowl somewhere as evidence of anything other than his genius is frankly being a bit silly.

Labuschagne might still get a run at 6, but Warne's bowling will have nothing to do with that.
The point is that Edgbaston is good for spin, so they'll pick Labuschagne leg breaks over Marsh/Wade part-time seamers

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Wade deserves to play as we need to fortify our batting

If we lose this series it will be because of our batting, not because our four world class bowlers couldn't contain a pop gun Pommy top six (Root excepted)

So please no Mitch or Laboo

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

The point is that Edgbaston is good for spin, so they'll pick Labuschagne leg breaks over Marsh/Wade part-time seamers
I love that people are taking Wade's slow-medium bowling seriously. It is absolute trash. It was just entertaining because he was a keeper bowling, he is not actually a legitimate bowling option at any level.

stephen

I think that Australia side is omitting Pattinson who should be just about first picked.

I also think that I don't care to watch your videos.