• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - India v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
England are NZ are the most undeserving of the 4 semi finalists by far. I hope Aus win their 6th.
It has happened in the past that teams outside the top 2 teams in the league stages end up winning the crown. India 1983, Pak 1992 and Aus 1999 being examples. Doesn't make them undeserving victors.
Aussies winning a freaking 6th time is neither good for the game nor for the health of this forum :)

And if you are mentioning about undeserving semi-finalists, that is clearly not the case. Eng and NZ were ahead of every team other than Ind and Aus and ultimately that is what matters.

Last edited:

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Sorry I didn't mean it in terms of England's results. But something about how England "magically" got flat decks in ICC tournaments after Bairstow whinged and won 2 tosses in must win games doesn't sit right with me. Even Kohli commented about how the boundary dimensions seemed to have changed presumably to negate Kuldeep and Chahal.
Why didn't they magic up these flat decks sooner? Did they lengthen the boundaries when India batted? And was the coin toss rigged?

It's all a conspiracy!!

Lordy lord.

Move on.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I just said Pakistan have usually had the better of New Zealand. That clearly implies since inception. 2011 is a very arbitrary cut off date. How is 8 years ago recent? Why not 2006? Until their latest test series Pakistan hadnt lost to NZ in NZ for YEARS. In this particularly rivalry, Pakistan have always held the aces, New Zealand's performances Vs a weakened Pakistan over the last 2-3 years notwithstanding....and that is what happened at the WC as well. There is a reason Pakistan are World Champions and teams like England, SA and NZ are not
I used results from this decade, where we've dominated you. Who gives a monkey's past that time. I'm actually using a period of time that involves people who are still playing, therefore the skinniest bit relevant.

Anyway, we're in the semis and you aren't. That's not ner ner ner ner talk, more so something that's better if you deal with calmly and move on. 2023 is soon upon us.

Amirfan

School Boy/Girl Captain
It has happened in the past that teams outside the top 2 teams in the league stages end up winning the crown. India 1983, Pak 1992 and Aus 1999 being examples. Doesn't make them undeserving victors.
Aussies winning a freaking 6th time is neither good for the game nor for the health of this forum :)

And if you are mentioning about undeserving semi-finalists, that is clearly not the case. Eng and NZ were ahead of every team other than Ind and Aus and ultimately that is what matters.
Again with respect to England I don't mean that in terms of wins - as I said in the post above, the fact that they somehow got conditions they wanted after Bairstow whined and moaned when they really should have no say in the conditions is terrible. For the benefit of the viewers I think the coin toss should also be shown.

England need to win 2 must win games or risk a humiliating exit. Johnny moans about conditions and for the next 2 games, they get the deaddest of dead tracks. In addition, they have boundary dimensions to their liking effectively negating the opposition's biggest threats and somehow they win 2 back to back tosses in 2 must win games too. Really cool coincidences there.

NZ I have spoken about at length so I won't get into it again. However, in my eyes they would probably be more deserving winners than England now that I think of it. At least they aren't being spoonfed conditions in ICC tournaments.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gotta feel for Pakistan fans, having a yawning captain at the helm can't be easy to deal with.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The thing that scares me the most is it is going to be cloudy and rainy all day and Boult can do a number on our top order. Going to be a tough match this one.

Amirfan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why didn't they magic up these flat decks sooner? Did they lengthen the boundaries when India batted? And was the coin toss rigged?

It's all a conspiracy!!

Lordy lord.

Move on.
No-one said they lengthened the boundaries only when England batted. That's a straw man. But they did get them down to the lowest possible length as per the rules. Was it the same in all the earlier games? EARLIER, not succeeding.

Bijed

International Regular
Hi everyone :) I'm new here and have a few thoughts on the Game between NZ and India. I really hope NZ can make a good game of it and ive put some real thought into the tactics for each team. I made a video covering every aspect of the game and would like to know if you agree or have any other thoughts around the game. Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJiDWRyTfVw&t=37s
Gave it a watch - not bad at all :) Pretty sensible points all-round and well-balances wrt going into good detail without dragging out any points (if I'm going to be hyper-critical, you seemed to spend quite a while talking about the plan to Rohit specifically compared to some other bits, but not much of an issue at all tbh :))

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The thing that scares me the most is it is going to be cloudy and rainy all day and Boult can do a number on our top order. Going to be a tough match this one.
Oy vey so much negativity. We can return the favor too, can't we? Our seamers aren't exactly slouches now.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
No-one said they lengthened the boundaries only when England batted. That's a straw man. But they did get them down to the lowest possible length as per the rules. Was it the same in all the earlier games? EARLIER, not succeeding.
It's not a straw man at all. Your inference was the boundaries benefitted one team only. Of course they didn't.

The location of the pitches on the square would have been decided weeks in advance for each match in order to prepare them properly. Not a couple of days to benefit any one team.

Pakistan are out because of their terrible NRR. They only have themselves to blame.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Oy vey so much negativity. We can return the favor too, can't we? Our seamers aren't exactly slouches now.
The worst possible scenarios do keep coming up :P

Going to be so tricky selecting the bowling for this match. Do we choose Bhuvi because the conditions might suit him or go with Shami who has been excellent early on and bad at the death or just go with both. I think Kedar should be back for this match. Would feel more comfortable having him as our number 6/7 instead of Jadeja.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
The worst possible scenarios do keep coming up :P

Going to be so tricky selecting the bowling for this match. Do we choose Bhuvi because the conditions might suit him or go with Shami who has been excellent early on and bad at the death or just go with both. I think Kedar should be back for this match. Would feel more comfortable having him as our number 6/7 instead of Jadeja.
I'll be pleased if we have enough batting left to actually attack the bowling at the death.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Can we please stop crying and focus on the match up between NZ and India. It’s getting bloody annoying now. Fans don’t get to decide who is more deserving. Kohli, Williamson, Finch or Morgan aren’t going to give a **** about that when one of them lifts the trophy lol. The actual team that is deserving will be the one that wins the whole thing.

And please stop this dick measuring contest about which team has had the better record over the years. Both NZ and Pak have some exciting talent and it will be good to see a future series between them. I only hope that NZ tour Pakistan as the security situation has improved. Pakistan has also been listed as one of the top 10 places to visit in the world, so lots to see. :)

wrongun

Banned
Williamson is what is referred to as chikna.
Why so? Any relation to Madan Chikna from the cult classic and personal favourite Gunda? Generally its a term refered to a 'pretty boy' with a clean shaven face etc. KW looks like a chiseled vet from a war.