• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

Slifer

International Captain
In the Windies in January.

I'd keep the majority of this side for that. Same top six, 3-6 in any order (it doesn't matter); Foakes, Moeen and Anderson, and two of Broad/Curran/Leach depending on conditions.

Rashid comfortably the 3rd best spinner for me.

Then for the summer you leave out Leach and try to find an opener that isn't Jennings to face real seam attacks.
England are comfortably better than the wi. Therefore if I were an English selector I'd experiment with the final XI during the Wisden series. See what works and go from there.

Essexboi

Cricket Spectator
Possible team for first test against Aus.
?
Burns
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Ali
Curran
Woakes
Anderson
I'd personally go back to Vince and open up with him, I know he's flattered to deceive but the talent is there and nobody in CC better than him. Liked what I saw from Burns, got the Elgars about him and think will be okay. Broad back in if one of all rounders isn't fit.
Just on the final few days of 5 weeks in Sri Lanka, great performance from our boys and what a incredible place to visit.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
England are comfortably better than the wi. Therefore if I were an English selector I'd experiment with the final XI during the Wisden series. See what works and go from there.
Nothing that we experiment with in the West Indies is going to tell us anything about the team we will need for the Ashes.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yeah and writing off the windies could be a real mistake. Last time we drew 1-1 out there and they are stronger now and we are arguably weaker.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The team in the Windies may yet include all 3 spinners depending on the tracks they prepare. Certainly we take them all in case they are needed and we know that we will only pick 1 next summer maybe 2 if Moeen is played as an all rounder and Leach plays on a potential turning track.

As for next summer anyone saying we should drop Broad is off their heads, bowled better last summer than he has for about 2 years and is a better option than most as an out and out bowler.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
england have won once in the west indies in the past 50 years so yeah i'm not sure they should be taking anything for granted.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As for next summer anyone saying we should drop Broad is off their heads, bowled better last summer than he has for about 2 years and is a better option than most as an out and out bowler.
Looked a yard quicker to me in Colombo - I reckon the occasional dropping is good for him

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Possible team for first test against Aus.
?
Burns
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Foakes
Ali
Curran
Woakes
Anderson

I'd personally go back to Vince and open up with him, I know he's flattered to deceive but the talent is there and nobody in CC better than him. Liked what I saw from Burns, got the Elgars about him and think will be okay. Broad back in if one of all rounders isn't fit.
Just on the final few days of 5 weeks in Sri Lanka, great performance from our boys and what a incredible place to visit.
A team that just blanked SL away is definitely not going to change for a while. That question mark is going to be Jennings.

That lower middle order is frightening.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
A team that just blanked SL away is definitely not going to change for a while. That question mark is going to be Jennings.

That lower middle order is frightening.
So you think we'll play 3 spinners at Edgbaston for the opening Ashes test? Of course the team is going to change.......as Howe said earlier in the thread that bowling attack may very well never take the field together again.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If they have any sense, they will play one spinner and that would be Leach.
Yeah pick the guy who has never played a test in England and has a pretty mediocre FC record over one that has taken his wickets at around 28 in the last 2 years at home and chipped in with a batting average of over 40 for the same period.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it is very obvious what is going to happen with this England team moving forward, we will see very very different teams depending on where we are playing.

A player like Leach has come in and done a great job, should definitely get to play in the Windies but no ****ing way does he play in England over Mo. Then outside of the sub continent and maybe the West Indies I wouldn't take Mo on a tour again and Leach would be my go to spinner.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah pick the guy who has never played a test in England and has a pretty mediocre FC record over one that has taken his wickets at around 28 in the last 2 years at home and chipped in with a batting average of over 40 for the same period.
If Leach's FC average of 25 is mediocre then what does that make Moeen's of 38?