• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
I get the feeling from the journos around the team that they reckon this is the genuine launch of Root's team without Cook and only limited input from Broad and Anderson.

The openers deserve a go in the Windies, although I think Jennings may be found out against pace once again, other positions starting to become secure, the all rounders are slotting into place and there is a clear methodology about the style of cricket they wish to pursue.

The emergence of some players this year has been a joy to watch.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I get the feeling from the journos around the team that they reckon this is the genuine launch of Root's team without Cook and only limited input from Broad and Anderson.

The openers deserve a go in the Windies, although I think Jennings may be found out against pace once again, other positions starting to become secure, the all rounders are slotting into place and there is a clear methodology about the style of cricket they wish to pursue.

The emergence of some players this year has been a joy to watch.
I can't really agree that the allrounders are slotting into place when we have tried a different one at 3 in each game, and we will need to trim one out when we play both seamers.

It's enormously encouraging that we have the talent and depth to consistently get together wins in Asia even including games where things go wrong. But it's hard to see this side providing a foundation for much going forward. This attack will mostly likely never play together again and the top order still needs to get their collective **** together.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Congrads for England. We were bad. Rank bad. The only one to shine in the whole series was Dilruwan Perera. He too didn't deliver with the bat. His 50 runs per match would have at least won us a test.

Pushpakumara is ****. He will get collared on flat pitches. Dilruwan may not pick wickets, but he is bloody accurate. Sandakan, who was a revelation when he came in has regressed.

Batting I don't even want to comment other than for DK who tried hard.

But where we lost the series was indiscipline in catching, running, bowling batting.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
So let's say England were picking a side for the Ashes now... Who plays as the first spinner and do we play a second? I could only see the latter happening if Ali plays an all-rounder but I don't think his batting is much a relevant factor anymore. Is Leach picked ahead of Ali if bowling quality is solely considered? I reckon Ali will probably be first pick tbh but I think Leach would perhaps have a greater impact in a team that already has batting depth covered.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I can't see Leach playing ahead of Mo in the Ashes. Jennings has justified a bit of the faith the selectors have shown in him but I think we all know he will be cannon fodder for the Aussies. Juries still out for Burns for mine and I'm not yet convinced about YJB at 3 for the Ashes.

All the questions are still there.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Karunaratne is like a modern day Atherton. Stodgy opener who's average of 37 is way better than it looks

Howe_zat

Audio File
I would play Moeen even though he does offer less control than Leach. If we're looking at trying to get our spinner to tie it up in the first innings at home we're already a bit ****ed. It's going to be four seamers and then the spinner coming into play late in the game if we're going to win anything, which is why I see Moeen as more likely part of a winning team. And batting does make a difference.

Obviously Leach has done well but he's just done his job on very spin friendly surfaces, like he does in the CC. His home/away record there is pretty stark. On a surface not particularly conductive to spin Leach is likely to be pretty ineffective in Tests.

A harder decision for me is whether to leave out Woakes at home, which sounds just crazy after the last few summers, but we have to fit Stokes, Woakes and Curran into two spots.

Howe_zat

Audio File
2016-2018 at home

Code:
		M	Runs	Bat	100	Wkt	Bowl	5w
BA Stokes 	14	820	34.16	2	36	29.63	1
CR Woakes 	10	532	48.36	1	48	19.72	2
SM Curran 	5	292	36.50	0	13	23.23	0

harsh.ag

A harder decision for me is whether to leave out Woakes at home, which sounds just crazy after the last few summers, but we have to fit Stokes, Woakes and Curran into two spots.
You don't actually. All are better than Broad atm.

mr_mister

Woakes still easily better than Sam Curran imo

Really don't see Sam continuing this run in the years to come. Something about his batting seems amateurish

ImpatientLime

International Regular
absolutely no way you can drop moeen in england. his record is too good and he is a bona fida match winner on home tracks.

94 at 31 with 4 five wicket hauls.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England's next series is ... ?
In the Windies in January.

I'd keep the majority of this side for that. Same top six, 3-6 in any order (it doesn't matter); Foakes, Moeen and Anderson, and two of Broad/Curran/Leach depending on conditions.

Rashid comfortably the 3rd best spinner for me.

Then for the summer you leave out Leach and try to find an opener that isn't Jennings to face real seam attacks.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Woakes still easily better than Sam Curran imo

Really don't see Sam continuing this run in the years to come. Something about his batting seems amateurish
For me Curran ALWAYS plays. 20 years old and 7 Tests. Man of the Match and Player of the Series. Root just needs to give him more bowling. The most overs in an inning was 17 when he picked up 4 wickets.
7-7-17-6- 6-9-16-3.4-11-9-6-5-4