• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you want a Battle of the Members XIV?

Should there be a BOTM XIV

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Athlai

Not Terrible
What's more Christmas than lighting up the barbie, heading down to the beach and having a chilly bin full of beers.

Flem274*

123/5
why would you want to celebrate christmas when it's freezing? christmas in summer is the way god intended it to be.

midwinter christmas in the southern hemisphere is basically an excuse for an office piss up in my experience. don't knock it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
why would you want to celebrate christmas when it's freezing? christmas in summer is the way god intended it to be.

midwinter christmas in the southern hemisphere is basically an excuse for an office piss up in my experience. don't knock it.
That's what it is everywhere

Bijed

International Regular
Just a couple of ideas (really nothing radical) I've got, so that people can talk me out of them and/or suggest improvements ahead of whenever this ends up happening:

- No automatic qualification for the top 64 or whatever posters - nominations only. I felt last time, and a few others commented, that a lot of names came up and they couldn't remember when they last posted, or just didn't recognise the name at all. I don't think it's something that can be totally avoided, but this should help keep it to a minimum.

- The progression last time went: 128 (16 groups of 8, top 3 advance) -> 48 (6 groups of 8, top 2 advance) -> 16 (8 1-on-1 knockouts) and then went into further knockouts from there. I thought it was a well designed format and handled the large amount of contestants as well as realistically possible. However, because there were a lot of contestants, it did inevitably take quite a while. I'd like to have only 1 group stage and go straight to knockouts, maybe starting from 32 depending on numbers. Also, we went through the knockouts at the rate of 2 one-on-ones per day, I'd probably go for 4 per day instead (with semi-finals and the final being given their own day(s))

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just a couple of ideas (really nothing radical) I've got, so that people can talk me out of them and/or suggest improvements ahead of whenever this ends up happening:

- No automatic qualification for the top 64 or whatever posters - nominations only. I felt last time, and a few others commented, that a lot of names came up and they couldn't remember when they last posted, or just didn't recognise the name at all. I don't think it's something that can be totally avoided, but this should help keep it to a minimum.
Sounds like the nomination process could be tedious without it though. Maybe keep auto-qualifications but base them on something other than postcount -- finishing position in the last tournament, perhaps?

Ideally you'd use posts made since the last BOTM I guess, but it's hard to get that information without SQL database access, and it doesn't seem like something worth bothering James over.

cnerd123

likes this
I say just let the organiser compile a list by himself, and let people nominate anyone they feel is overlooked. Kinda like what Mr Mister did for his voting in CC.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah what ***** says could be easily done. Just choose some of the most popular recent threads across the subbies, copy paste the users in the post count list into excel and remove cells with duplicates, blanks, numbers.

Do a quick scan, add anyone you think missed out, trim the spambots etc. Post that list, give the people a few days to nominate the missing posters and you're good to go.

Here's a quick one of Asia Cup + Australian Domestic Thread. I think you'll get a good list if you combine this with a couple of the off topic threads (not the really old ones like what are you thinking/makes your day ruins your day etc) and politics threads.

smalishah84
trundler
Black_Warrior
AndyZaltzHair
Agricultural
Prince EWS
Daemon
weldone
Borges
harsh.ag
vcs
Howe_zat