• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moeen Ali racially abused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That the culprit knows Moeen has grown his beard for religious piety and not, as with Grace, that he is merely a Victorian gentleman wearing the concurrent hair styling of empire.
Incidentally, facial hair became popular in Victorian Britain because of India. It was seen as as sign of masculinity and maturity in India so the British officer class appropriated it and brought it back to Britain.
You're on the right track. If you keep going a bit further, you will find that beard being a sign of masculinity and maturity actually came to India via the Arabs. If you dig even further, you will find a prominent Arab named Muhammad was also growing his beard as an Arab gentleman wearing the concurrent hair styling of his era. So basically WG Grace and Moeen Ali have the same fashion icon

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Yes. In those cases, it's islamophobia. If someone called them a name of a white Muslim terrorist, that would have an ethnic basis to it, hence it would be racist.

Again, why do you think in this case was Moeen's ethnicity not relevant to him being called Osama?
I'll reply this one last time because you didn't call me a moron.

Why pick on Moeen for that particular comment, especially given the propensity of Asians, moreover Asian-Muslims (one in the cricketer's very team!), the giver of this comment would associate with across a given top flight cricketing career? What similarity does Moeen possess to Osama Bin Laden, that other Asian Muslims - some of them just as pious as Moeen - has? The beard. Maybe I'm given whoever it is the benefit of the doubt in believing that he doesn't simply see ''all Asians'' (e.g. Virat Kohli) or even ''Muslim Asians'' (e.g. Usman Khwaja) as ''terrorists'', but this feels too culturally (nb., not racially) specific?

It could have been used against Amla also (and probably has at some level on Amla's cricketing journey - I seem to recall Amla discussing something like that, facing insults).

The merest knowledge of Moeen Ali, extracted from interviews say, will tell you of his deep observance of the Islamic faith, that this is by far more important to him than anything in life (including cricket, and yes, even including his racial make-up).

And why not use a whole plethora of insults familiar to Australians which are racially specific to people of Pakistani ancestry (and sometimes sloppily applied to non-Pakistani Asians also), the ones about cornershops, etc? These insults have nothing to do with religion but race, affiliated with the socio-economic background of Pakistani migrants to countries like Britain, Australia and the United States. The cricketer could have quite easily chosen one of these. He didn't. He chose an insult based around a (non-racial) proselytizing religion.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he's saying it's more of a function of religion + beard than religion + ethnicity.

On that I think he's wrong. But I do think it's a function of religion + beard + ethnicity. The ethnicity basis is what makes it racist. But I think he doesn't agree on that.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

I may be a moron but all the dictionaries subscribe to similar moronic opinions as mine,

Noun
racism (countable and uncountable, plural racisms)
Prejudice or discrimination based upon race or ethnicity
We can establish Islam is not a race or ethnicity? Correct?

The cricketer has not discriminated Moeen Ali based upon Moeen's race/ethnicity. He has discriminated Moeen based upon his religion.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is an extremely myopic viewpoint and pretty much a pointless differentiation anyway

S.Kennedy

What purpose does it serve you all to erroneously label it ''racism''? We are all in agreement that it is abhorrent either way, but you may as well get this stuff correct?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
****ing hell

imagine reading this story and the biggest thing you take from it is a dogmatic view that the abuse supposedly hurled at moeen is infact not racist.

S.Kennedy

****ing hell

imagine reading this story and the biggest thing you take from it is a dogmatic view that the abuse supposedly hurled at moeen is infact not racist.
Well with such a liberal use of words you could call anything ''racist'', a toilet holder, the setting sun?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This thread is reminiscent of the pointless "Trump's racist bile is not actually racist because he's an equal opportunity **** to everyone" arguments in the News and Politics subforum.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah been waiting for your always useful contribution.
Bet you have.

Our country had an entire week dedicated to the indigenous language last week. Does yours recognise the indigenous people of Australia as human beings yet?

Of course not all Australians are racist. It's not a stereotype of all members of the population, just a much too high percentage of it.

And S Kennedy, c'mon mate. I suppose this is all a facial hair prejudice thing? And when someone is called a black C, it's a sun bed/sun exposure prejudice not race either?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What purpose does it serve you all to erroneously label it ''racism''? We are all in agreement that it is abhorrent either way, but you may as well get this stuff correct?
Why is it abhorrent if it's not racist? I mean, if there's no racial undertones where's the offense?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Nah, been here for a year and I haven't seen any evidence to support the claim that a lot of aussies are racist at all. I love Sydney, no idea about the other places.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Bet you have.

Our country had an entire week dedicated to the indigenous language last week. Does yours recognise the indigenous people of Australia as human beings yet?
How ****ing absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.