• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England 2018

Who will win the ODI series?

• England

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Australia

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think they will and should go in as favourites as things stand now.........but they did in the CT too so that doesn't mean they will win it. This series is just a joke really and whilst I'll never get tired of smacking the Aussies in anything, even I'm struggling to Bwahahaha too loud about it.

It's just a shame this focus on ODI cricket seems to have come at the expense of our test team, I "might" be OK with that if we do win the WC next year, but of we don't.........all of these records and wins will mean absolutely nothing to me.

As for the Aussies, they will be a force to reckon with come WC time for sure........all this **** in between really doesn't count for jack.
Maybe. Will rely heavily on Starc, Cummins & Hazlewood taking wickets though.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Insane levels of hyperbole in the press don't help. Read any of Dobell's fellating nonsense on how England are setting the benchmark. What exactly is so novel about scoring mountains of runs? Limited overs batting has been on an upward trajectory for most of the last twenty five years. Records being broken aren't indicative of any real strategic innovations being brought to the format. Eng have simply chanced upon the ideal combination of strikers in a greatly favorable era for batting. Commending them on circumstance is the same as commending Aus on revolutionizing wicket keeping-batting through Gilchrist. It's not reproducible at will.
Of course it's novel to have broken the world record total twice in two years. What more can you do as a batting unit than keep scoring more and more runs? Denigrating a side for the things they're not doing when they are scoring a **** ton of runs is really stretching for criticism.

No sure but it's all circumstance.

Honestly the hoops people have to jump through to not just admit this side have been doing special things is incredible. Yes they might not win the world cup, they might lose form at the wrong time, their bowlers might get smashed now and then, but who really cares. It's pretty fun to watch an England ODI team be really ****ing good without people whatabouting their every achievement.

flibbertyjibber

310 is not enough but it is defensible. Our bowling has to take some of the flack for the loss here. We went with 5 bowlers and couldn't defend a low but defensible target.

And FFS how terrible is it that 310 is seen as a low score. What a two-hour state for the game to be in. 300+ should be the exception, not the rule.
Ignoring the Aussie attack for a moment it seems that 300 now is the 200 of 20 years ago. Remember the greatest ODI ever when Donald had a panic attack and dropped his bat both sides got 213. A side gets that now only by being bowled out in 35th over.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Of course it's novel to have broken the world record total twice in two years. What more can you do as a batting unit than keep scoring more and more runs? Denigrating a side for the things they're not doing when they are scoring a **** ton of runs is really stretching for criticism.

No sure but it's all circumstance.

Honestly the hoops people have to jump through to not just admit this side have been doing special things is incredible. Yes they might not win the world cup, they might lose form at the wrong time, their bowlers might get smashed now and then, but who really cares. It's pretty fun to watch an England ODI team be really ****ing good without people whatabouting their every achievement.
The problem with England is they don't feel like a great team. Particularly the bowling. Yes deep batting line-up with big hitters which suits the current flat wickets; so good on them for getting a good team for current world conditions; but can I see this team batting out 50 overs for 270 runs on a tough track consistently, not really. I love some of the English players; Bairstow's probably one of my favourite in world cricket at the moment, Root, Stokes are fantastic players; but I don't look at this team and see a great team.

Burgey

Had a waiter who is Bairstow’s doppelgänger just spill a dirty martini on me about 15 minutes ago.

91Jmay

International Coach
The problem with England is they don't feel like a great team. Particularly the bowling. Yes deep batting line-up with big hitters which suits the current flat wickets; so good on them for getting a good team for current world conditions; but can I see this team batting out 50 overs for 270 runs on a tough track consistently, not really. I love some of the English players; Bairstow's probably one of my favourite in world cricket at the moment, Root, Stokes are fantastic players; but I don't look at this team and see a great team.
Since when do you need to consistently score 270 on tough tracks to win ODIs? Almost never nowadays. We've got a good record in low scoring games all things considered over the last few years anyway, bit of a myth that we can't defend low totals.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Since when do you need to consistently score 270 on tough tracks to win ODIs? Almost never nowadays. We've got a good record in low scoring games all things considered over the last few years anyway, bit of a myth that we can't defend low totals.
Hence the point... for current world conditions the team works. Does not make it a great team as far as great cricket goes. The fact that nowadays big hitting batters are more important than players that can play out 6-10 overs of a moving ball or having true quality bowlers with balance teams. Better to pick a big hitting allrounder.

I`m saying this as somebody who lost interest in LO's quite a bit when it just became a batting fest, so I'm am no doubt biased when I enjoyed the days when 270-300 was a fantastic score.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Since when do you need to consistently score 270 on tough tracks to win ODIs?
Champions Trophy semi finals for instance?

Almost never nowadays. We've got a good record in low scoring games all things considered over the last few years anyway, bit of a myth that we can't defend low totals.
Not when the chips are down (see above).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jeez, makes it seem like an ever bigger **** up then, a team designed to score on flat pitches was put under pressure when there was actually something at stake and folded? How amateur. Certainly no truly great team would do that.

Jack1

International Debutant
He wasn't dropped, he had a shoulder injury.
Oh ok fair enough, didn't hear sky sports say that and he looked fine when the camera went to him clapping team mates.

Still, don't Australia have big hitters to bring into the side? Surely there' s a keeper that hits big in List A Australia cricket? I don't follow Australia domestic cricket, but picking Paine seems dumb