• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Northern Districts, the strongest FC team in the world

Howsie

International Captain
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...-districts-for-coming-domestic-cricket-season

With de Grandhomme's addition to the Northern Districts squad, it could be argued they now boast the strongest first class or list A squad in world cricket.

1. Dean Brownlie
2. Tim Seifert
3. Kane Williamson
4. BJ Watling
5. Corey Anderson
6. Colin de Grandhomme
7. Mitchell Santner
8. Scott Kuggeleijn
9. Tim Southee
10. Neil Wagner
11. Trent Boult

No room for Ish Sodhi and a whole host of former internationals. Bow down CW

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They need a competition between all reining FC premiers. They could set aside a window for it and call it the First Class Universal Kings International Premiers’ League, or ****IPL for short.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They need a competition between all reining FC premiers. They could set aside a window for it and call it the First Class Universal Kings International Premiers’ League, or ****IPL for short.
Wouldn't mind this tbh, like the Rugby World Challenge every year where the Super League gets exposed annually as being ****house

Burgey

Can non-exclusively reveal that NSW won’t be featuring for a number of years given the contracted players.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...-districts-for-coming-domestic-cricket-season

With de Grandhomme's addition to the Northern Districts squad, it could be argued they now boast the strongest first class or list A squad in world cricket.

1. Dean Brownlie
2. Tim Seifert
3. Kane Williamson
4. BJ Watling
5. Corey Anderson
6. Colin de Grandhomme
7. Mitchell Santner
8. Scott Kuggeleijn
9. Tim Southee
10. Neil Wagner
11. Trent Boult

2 wicket keepers in the top 4, all bowling options from 5 down, kinda looks like an IPL team to me.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha this is all like a wonderful dream. Howsie completely jumping the shark and selling his soul to Vagner and Lord Colin, for whom he's **** canned for years but now they live in the geographic area, they contribute to the greatest FC team on the planet.

But hey, I hear them. I live in the ND property/golf course mecca too. Still wouldn't support the ****ers though.

Howsie's XI needs more Ish and less Corey 'I'm as washed up as Feldman and Haim' Anderson though.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
In all seriousness, this is pretty bad news for whoever catches them in the early rounds before the international summer starts in December vs Sri Lanka.

And pretty embarrassing for whichever internationals miss out for Devecich, and lets face it, Corey is in big trouble of that happening, as is Ish.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
It'd be interesting to see it go up against a full strength CD, honestly. Taylor, Ryder, Young, Bruce, Hay, Cleaver, Worker, Bracewell, Milne, Patel, etc.

Howsie

International Captain
It'd be interesting to see it go up against a full strength CD, honestly. Taylor, Ryder, Young, Bruce, Hay, Cleaver, Worker, Bracewell, Milne, Patel, etc.
Come on now, it’s five world class test cricketers in Williamson, Boult, Southee, Watling and Wagner v Ross Taylor. Two days at best

Daemon

1. Dean Brownlie
2. Tim Seifert
3. Kane Williamson
4. BJ Watling
5. Corey Anderson
6. Colin de Grandhomme
7. Mitchell Santner
8. Scott Kuggeleijn
9. Tim Southee
10. Neil Wagner
11. Trent Boult

I'll give you the bowling (probably only second to what NSW trotted out a while ago) but the batting is quite awful.

Flem274*

123/5
That team lacks a batsman. Corey J two games from a massive layoff doesn't really count. Bring in Flynn to open and drop Seifert down. Seifert is a better middle order bat than Anderson anyway. Also hate to spoil the party but Brownlie was **** last season he got dropped.

Flynn
Cooper
Kane
Seifert
Watling
Lord Colin

imo, but you just know they'd fit Devcich in somewhere as the requisite norounder.
Come on now, it’s five world class test cricketers in Williamson, Boult, Southee, Watling and Wagner v Ross Taylor. Two days at best
ahahahaha gloriously shameless

But yeah even I admit CD would struggle. they have a terrible habit of fading in finals, the bowlers are made of glass (and can't string two strong seasons together to save themselves) and the batsmen bar Taylor are stuck in the annoying 'better than FC, not quite test' area, exemplified by Will Young.

We'd still make a better game of it than the other **** teams tho. Would be relying heavily on Rance with the new pill or Tickner to have one of his on days. I can't really remember the last time Wheeler, Milne or Bracewell really ripped through a team.

Greg Hay would probably ton up amongst the carnage and still get ignored in favour of Rob Nicol or someone.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
[B said:
Howsie[/B];4028040]Come on now, it’s five world class test cricketers in Williamson, Boult, Southee, Watling and Wagner v Ross Taylor. Two days at best
Never thought I'd read those words

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The Surrey team is fairly powerful (on paper) this year, albeit heavily weighted in top 4s: Stoneman, Burns, Elgar, Kohli, Borthwick. Ollie Pope and Ben Foakes coming lower down then they have Morkel bowling.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
The Surrey team is fairly powerful (on paper) this year, albeit heavily weighted in top 4s: Stoneman, Burns, Elgar, Kohli, Borthwick. Ollie Pope and Ben Foakes coming lower down then they have Morkel bowling.

Not even a Corey, Santner or let alone a Lord CDG in real value. More like a Brownlie or Devecich.

But I like the surplus wicket keepers in both sides.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon the Cantabs could take ND. Matt Henry would knock over KDub and BJ early and the rest of the Northern batting is nothing special before Tom Latham scores a gorgeous technically-perfect 70 and Henry Nicholls scores a hideous technically-abhorrent 170. That would leave enough time for Astle to turn it square and show Santner and Sodhi how his loopy stuff owns Plunket Shield cricket.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I reckon the Cantabs could take ND. Matt Henry would knock over KDub and BJ early and the rest of the Northern batting is nothing special before Tom Latham scores a gorgeous technically-perfect 70 and Henry Nicholls scores a hideous technically-abhorrent 170. That would leave enough time for Astle to turn it square and show Santner and Sodhi how his loopy stuff owns Plunket Shield cricket.

This post could do with more Andy Ellis, because a bit of Andy Ellis improves anything. Except the ND team who have CDG, Anderson and Kuggs.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Saw in the other thread Rutherford is on the move. He'll probably open for ND at this rate.

Canterbury are terrible. Even at full strength Todd Astle is their fourth most effective batsman. McClure and Carter have some ability but a few knocks aside, patchy results. They can bowl tho.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

1. Dean Brownlie
2. Tim Seifert
3. Kane Williamson
4. BJ Watling
5. Corey Anderson
6. Colin de Grandhomme
7. Mitchell Santner
8. Scott Kuggeleijn
9. Tim Southee
10. Neil Wagner
11. Trent Boult

Deeply disappointed you didn't double down and pick James Baker over Wagz.