• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

R!TTER

First Class Debutant
Lehmann didn't know. lol
He knew alright, the sequence of events was like this.

1) Cam rubs something on the ball, puts it back in the pocket. His hand covers the ball as the cameraman is zooming in only on the back of his hand, from that angle.
2) Darren sees this & immediately relays that to Peter. The commentators are perplexed actually at that point.
3) Peter asks Cam to hide sandpaper/tape during the drinks break.
4) Cam tries that & gets caught red handed with a front on view.

As has been mentioned, the saga took about 90 minutes to unroll. So unless Darren is the Mahaguru from Dr. Strange, he knew what to hide & why hide it. I'm still waiting for that piece of tape to show itself btw some (like me) are still speculating that's it's sandpaper & rightly so.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
That piece of tape deserves a place in a cricket museum. I wouldn't want to be the guy to handle it mind considering it has been down Bancroft's trews.

SeamUp

International Coach
:laugh:

Adam Collins
‏Verified account
@collinsadam
3m3 minutes ago
In this CA culture review, Darren Lehmann to be played by Steve McQueen.
He's over the first fence, but surely can't clear the second.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I adore the innocence of Sutherland and his investigators to swallow that Lehmann and the bowlers had no clue what was happening.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lehmann must have the CA top guys' balls in a vice-like grip. It seems he is bulletproof.
You've got to assume that Lehmann legitimately didn't know and only sent Handscomb out when things were noticed.

There'll be a full investigation and his involvement will come out, and I can't imagine he lacks the integrity so much that he'd let three players take the fall while he walked off.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He knew alright, the sequence of events was like this.

1) Cam rubs something on the ball, puts it back in the pocket. His hand covers the ball as the cameraman is zooming in only on the back of his hand, from that angle.
2) Darren sees this & immediately relays that to Peter. The commentators are perplexed actually at that point.
3) Peter asks Cam to hide sandpaper/tape during the drinks break.
4) Cam tries that & gets caught red handed with a front on view.

As has been mentioned, the saga took about 90 minutes to unroll. So unless Darren is the Mahaguru from Dr. Strange, he knew what to hide & why hide it. I'm still waiting for that piece of tape to show itself btw some (like me) are still speculating that's it's sandpaper & rightly so.
None of this is really any proof that Lehmann knew, perfectly reasonable to think he sent Handscomb out there because it looked bad from where he was at that point of time.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You've got to assume that Lehmann legitimately didn't know and only sent Handscomb out when things were noticed.

There'll be a full investigation and his involvement will come out, and I can't imagine he lacks the integrity so much that he'd let three players take the fall while he walked off.
I don't think we'll ever know for sure. The findings could be that he didn't know, but people will always wonder whether it's actually true.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Either Lehmann is an incompetent coach allowing cheating to occur in his team without his knowledge, and then attempting to cover it up when aware, or he is in on it. There is no other conclusion. In either scenario he should be sacked.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
The more and more I read into it I get the feeling that Lehmann is the polar opposite of a Mickey Arthur or a Greg Chappell. A very matey, democratic and liberal who gave his players (leadership group) too much trust and leeway and thus had little authority over the group or control over their conduct. Which eventually led to formation of cliques and groups and led to this embarrassing episode.

So we have two breakdowns in 5 years within the Aussie team but in diametrically opposite conditions. The former was apparently the outcome of a regimental coaching attitude and the latter due to a laissez faire mode of coaching. Interesting case studies really but also throws up apprehensions about the mental make-up of Aussie cricketers from the junior levels. Both cases reflect the mental make-up of egotisic man cubs with little regard for the manner their illustrated predecessors approached the game.

Sad really and warrants a thorough look at the mentoring done at junior levels.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Lehmann didn’t know then he’s not doing his job. If he did know then he should be stood down.

I think either way he should go. I don’t see how he could in any way engineer the sort of cultural change the team needs, because everything I’ve aeen, hear or read from him basically encapsulates the culture as it currently is.