• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best after the Don? CW ranked 25 contenders, here is the countdown thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Sachin Tendulkar (483 points) FC average of 57.84, FC H.S of 248*. 81 FC centuries

The little master. The owner of nearly all of international cricket's longevity awards, from tests played to runs and centuries.

51 test centuries and nearly 16k test runs over 24 years. In the eyes of many these stats put him as as the clear number 2 behind the Don. His average, while still healthily over 50, was tainted a little as he played 20 tests too many in the quest for 200(and 100 international centuries). Those milestones can be unbecoming of a player can't they. Still, his test record is immense and well rounded. He doesn't average under 40 against any nation and in any nation. He's scored test hundreds everywhere and against everyone except for against Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe, but he only played 4 tests there in his defence. He more than made up for it in home tests against them. There is no true outlier in his record other than his ridic high average pf 136 against Bangladesh. From the non minnows his highest average is 60 against Sri Lanka, and lowest 42 against both Pakistan and South Africa. He faced basically three generations of test bowling attacks, and did well against both the superior 90's crop and the weaker attacks of the 2000s when he was aging.

His form dipped a bit over the 24 years, peaking around 2000, then dipping again before briefly rising again for an amazing 2010, which yielded him 7 test tons. What a renaissance. His final dreadful couple of years not withstanding, he had a reputation as the best batsman in the world nearly the entire time he was playing. The 1996 WC was when he really started the discussion as the best after the Don(correct me if I'm wrong), with his three centuries in that tournament being the first real signs he was something very special. He ended up with the record for most WC runs by a country mile and it was no surprise and quite just he was the first player to hit the first ODI double century.

His actual batting technique was said to be very similar to the dons. Slight in build, nimble on his feet with a great eye and terrific ability to work a ball onto the onside, even Bradman's wife remarked he reminded her of the Don's batting. His short height probably worked to his advantage, like the inverse of the way tall height helps a fast bowler. A low centre of gravity makes it quite easier to deal with varying bounce IMO, with a lot more balls being able to clipped off your hip.

Anyway, he cracks 4th on this list, just in front of his longtime rival Brian Lara. Like Headley and Pollock they finished within a whisker of each other.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ken Barrington didn't even getting a mention. Huge victory for the Compton > Barrington crowd.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has Hutton been up already?

Thought it might be him, Hobbs and Sobers in any given order.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Just comparing this ranking with mine. 9 out of my top 10 are overall top 10 too. I had WG in my top 10 but not Greg Chappell (who was my #11). Given it's quite tricky to rate WG, I would argue I got top 10 accurate :cool2:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Part of Sachin's charm is how well he did in both formats, Ponting and Lara were fair competition to him in tests, but he was marginally ahead, he was almost decisively better than both in ODIs though. Probably the only guy apart from Viv to have a strong case for #2 as a test batsman and as #1 as an ODI batsman. The last couple of years hurt his legacy, if he retired right after 2011 WC win I'd bet he will be considered top 2 in both formats.

OverratedSanity

I don't want to have a **** over his longevity but it really is remarkable how he managed to have basically two great batting careers in one,with two pretty different batting styles. Probably the best 18 year old batsman ever and also arguably the best 38 year old batsman ever.To do one of those is great , managing both is insane.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Part of Sachin's charm is how well he did in both formats, Ponting and Lara were fair competition to him in tests, but he was marginally ahead, he was almost decisively better than both in ODIs though. Probably the only guy apart from Viv to have a strong case for #2 as a test batsman and as #1 as an ODI batsman. The last couple of years hurt his legacy, if he retired right after 2011 WC win I'd bet he will be considered top 2 in both formats.
Agree. For long time I tended to rate Sobers and Richards above Tendulkar but that has started to change. That might not mean much on the surface of it because I am from India where Tendulkar is all but worshiped :p But I rarely put him in ATG test XI. Sure there are some missing jewels in his record -- he never scored a hundred in each innings of a test, never scored more than 2 hundreds in a series, never hit 900 ICC rating points (see how many batsmen ambled past that threshold), never scored a 250 etc (he was the first to get 200 in 50 over format which is huge). But seeing how he excelled in all conditions, for so long and in all formats, it is tough to not put him next only to Bradman.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And yes, he really should have hung his boots after 2011 world cup. He really should have. 99 hundreds was anyway no less cool than 100 hundreds.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Agree. For long time I tended to rate Sobers and Richards above Tendulkar but that has started to change. That might not mean much on the surface of it because I am from India where Tendulkar is all but worshiped :p But I rarely put him in ATG test XI. Sure there are some missing jewels in his record -- he never scored a hundred in each innings of a test, never scored more than 2 hundreds in a series, never hit 900 ICC rating points (see how many batsmen ambled past that threshold), never scored a 250 etc (he was the first to get 200 in 50 over format which is huge). But seeing how he excelled in all conditions, for so long and in all formats, it is tough to not put him next only to Bradman.
I also give him the benefit of not getting to play against the Indian bowling specifically in 90s (and generally all his career). Viv / Ponting didn't have to face the best attack of their times, Tendulkar on the other hand didn't get to face the worst.

OverratedSanity

And yes, he really should have hung his boots after 2011 world cup. He really should have. 99 hundreds was anyway no less cool than 100 hundreds.
Nah, its easy to say this in hindsight. He was batting all right in the 2011-12 overseas season. Looked good but kept finding weird ways to get out. In the home season ,yeah he was crap and should've retired.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough. But that 100th hundred was a disgrace. Against Bangladesh in a losing cause. FMD.

vcs

Good points. He did not have a ridiculously dominant streak in Tests like many other batsmen (Lara, Ponting, and even the more recent guys like Kohli and Smith). When he was at his peak in the '90s, India did not play enough Test cricket to give him an opportunity to really rack up the numbers, and when he had that special series in '98 against Australia, he didn't get to face McGrath.

Still, his knack of scoring at least one century in every series, no matter the conditions or attack, was ridiculous.