• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Australian XI game

watson

Banned
O’Reilly sometimes batted at No.9 and Spofforth mostly at 10 and 11. Both legitimate tailenders.

1. Steve Smith at No.4 or 5 and Jack Gregory - that B Team really needs a properly fast bowler who can bowl a bouncer or three.

2. Bert Oldfield

3. Bill Lawry

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Results

Australia A XI
1 A Morris
2 B Simpson
3 R Ponting
4 N Harvey
5 S Waugh
6 S Smith
7 I Healy
8 A Davidson
9 J Gillespie
10 B OReilly
11 F Spofforth

Smith easily wins the final batting spot, Ill ask a new question as to his batting spot as it does seem debatable.

Gillespie narrowly defeats Turner and McDermott by the one vote. I like Dizzy at 9 personally.

Australia B XI
1 B Lawry
7 R Marsh

Lawry beats Barnes by 5 and Marsh gets 4 more votes than Oldfield.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Aus A questions
- Who should captain
- Should Waugh remain at 5 and therefore Smith stays at 6?yes or no.

Aus B questions
- Select 2 opening bowlers
- Select 3 batsman to occupy positions 3 4 and 5. Highest 3 vote getters will make the team and Ill work out the order or ask for help

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
4. Smith
5. Harvey
6. Waugh

Seems right
I am keeping Harvey at 4. He won that vote fairly. I think Waugh might have gained selection over Smith because people wanted Smith to be the star in the next team. Now that he is in the team, Waugh or smith at 5?

watson

Banned
I am keeping Harvey at 4. He won that vote fairly. I think Waugh might have gained selection over Smith because people wanted Smith to be the star in the next team. Now that he is in the team, Waugh or smith at 5?
Waugh liked batting with the tail and was good at it. He even inspired McGrath to make a Test 50.

So Smith at 5 where he is more likely to score his double centuries, and Waugh at 6.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aus A questions
- Who should captain
- Should Waugh remain at 5 and therefore Smith stays at 6?yes or no.

Aus B questions
- Select 3 batsman to occupy positions 3 4 and 5. Highest 3 vote getters will make the team and Ill work out the order or ask for help
Waugh
No

Turner and Harris
McCabe Hussey Ryder

Himannv

International Coach
Waugh
Yes

Charlie Turner, Jeff Thomson
Stan McCabe (forgot about him, should've probably made the A team), Michael Clarke, Charles Macartney

stephen

Ridiculous that people rate Gillespie higher than McDermott.

Waugh captain and #6

McDermott and Reid
McCabe, Hussey, Walters

stephen

Calling Lindwall "the less good option" is ridiculous. The only argument you can really make that says Davidson is "better" is that he offers left arm variety, which is fine.

Lindwall was acknowledged as the greatest fast bowler ever at the end of his career.

And, fwiw:
Lindwall took wickets at a higher average and took less wickets per match than Davidson. And Davidson was the better batsman. And Davidson offers left arm variety when you already have 3 right arm quicks in the side. He's also pretty much the perfect 3rd quick too in that he was basically the most economical bowler around.

Lindwall should be talked about but as the third quick Davidson makes so much more sense on so many levels.

watson

Banned
Aus A questions
- Who should captain
Steve Smith

- Should Waugh remain at 5 and therefore Smith stays at 6?
No

Aus B questions
Jack Gregory
Craig McDermott

3. Charlie Macartney
4. Stan McCabe
5. Michael Clarke

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Ponting to captain.

Waugh to remain at 5.

AUS B fast bowlers
Mitchell Johnson
Jeff Thommo

Bats@3,4,5
Stan McCabe