• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India ODIs/T20s 2017

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But damn, this Aussie ODI side is impressive. Hex batting depth and most of them are good hitters there from around #5 as well, which is a nice bonus. If they can find a decent keeper/batsman, they will be among the firm favorites for the 2019 WC, not least because it will be in England and their big weakness against spin won't be as exploitable over there.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As in the Irfan who was such a gun for about 18 months before turning to absolute ****?

I think you're being a bit optimistic if you think the same things going to happen to firmkok
I don't know what will happen with him, but the wheel is forever.

TheJediBrah

But damn, this Aussie ODI side is impressive. Hex batting depth and most of them are good hitters there from around #5 as well, which is a nice bonus. If they can find a decent keeper/batsman, they will be among the firm favorites for the 2019 WC, not least because it will be in England and their big weakness against spin won't be as exploitable over there.
Just wait until the next Ashes in England when everyone starts talking about "their big weakness against swing".

They actually do look ok though. They should give India a fight this series (personally I think they would have been favourites to chase down that first game if it hadn't been shortened to a T20, but I could be biased).

A full strength side with Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins (Faulkner can **** off) and part time spinners could knock a few sides over in England (I'm assuming Pattinson learns to bowl with a white ball over the next 2 years)

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Is Kungfu Pandya officially a thing? Because Sehwag just called him so on Twitter. I'd pay good money to hear Viru in the commentary box. Not sure how long he'd last but ought to be fun.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Kungfu Pandya officially a thing? Because Sehwag just called him so on Twitter. I'd pay good money to hear Viru in the commentary box. Not sure how long he'd last but ought to be fun.
He uses it while commentating too. No one else does. Viru just doesn't give a **** if things catch on or not.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just wait until the next Ashes in England when everyone starts talking about "their big weakness against swing".

They actually do look ok though. They should give India a fight this series (personally I think they would have been favourites to chase down that first game if it hadn't been shortened to a T20, but I could be biased).

A full strength side with Pattinson, Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins (Faulkner can **** off) and part time spinners could knock a few sides over in England (I'm assuming Pattinson learns to bowl with a white ball over the next 2 years)

TBF, a lot of times these weaknesses can be accentuated in the LO formats than in tests. For instance, it is possible to have some sort of defense and protecting the stumps against spin in tests but in LO games when you actually have to score off those deliveries, it is exaggerated that much more. Same with fast short stuff for most of the SC batsmen. You can duck and weave all day in tests but in ODIs when you gotta score of them, you are suddenly in all kinds of hell.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
TBF, a lot of times these weaknesses can be accentuated in the LO formats than in tests. For instance, it is possible to have some sort of defense and protecting the stumps against spin in tests but in LO games when you actually have to score off those deliveries, it is exaggerated that much more. Same with fast short stuff for most of the SC batsmen. You can duck and weave all day in tests but in ODIs when you gotta score of them, you are suddenly in all kinds of hell.
I literally cannot think of a single case in which this is true.

Like, the only thing I can think of is mediocre spinners coming into the game in shorter formats because the batsmen have to go hard at them, when they'd milk them for 4 an over in Tests without an issue.

TheJediBrah

There's a bloody four day break before the next game.
It's like this is some elaborate torture for the Australian cricket team, forcing the poor guys to stay in India for weeks

At least they get to leave Chennai, thank god

OverratedSanity

Like, the only thing I can think of is mediocre spinners coming into the game in shorter formats because the batsmen have to go hard at them, when they'd milk them for 4 an over in Tests without an issue.
Boundary reliant players who can't work the ball into gaps and consistently rotate the strike well can do well in tests but struggle in ODIs. See: Rahane.

Thoueoughly disagree about his short ball example though. It's exposed far more in tests exactly because of the fact that you can't get away with pressure releasing pulls and hooks as much as in ODIs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Try Mendis being good at LO cricket for a lot longer than he was in test cricket. Shaun Tait for a while in T20s and LO cricket. Sometimes when mystery spin and extreme pace are all you got, its harder to get you away for runs but in a foramt where there are no over restrictions, you can actually play those bowlers out defensively and still stay in and score off the others.

Really weird why a concept this simple needs so much explaining though. Remember in 1998 when the Windies got Rawl Lewis to bowl legspin from around the wicket during a tourney at Sharjah. Geoff Boycott went on and on about how intelligent it was as it was easier to block or pad away the ball from that line but extremely difficult and risky when you have to look to score off that option.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's like this is some elaborate torture for the Australian cricket team, forcing the poor guys to stay in India for weeks

At least they get to leave Chennai, thank god

Getting to leave good places.. things Aussies should be so used to by now. :p

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Boundary reliant players who can't work the ball into gaps and consistently rotate the strike well can do well in tests but struggle in ODIs. See: Rahane.

Thoueoughly disagree about his short ball example though. It's exposed far more in tests exactly because of the fact that you can't get away with pressure releasing pulls and hooks as much as in ODIs.

Again, you are not getting the point. Steve Waugh in tests Vs Steve Waugh in ODIs. If you wanna keep Steve Waugh quiet in ODis you can bowl short at his body and he does not have the strokes required to get you away for runs. Tests, different story as he can duck and weave all day and then capitalize when you pitch it up. Also see Sehwag, Virender.

Daemon

?

Last night was a great example. If it was a test match I don't think Australia would be looking that clueless and inept against the spinners. The fact that they needed 10 an over made them look ridiculous.

I think it was KP who said during commentary that he played Narine with so much ease in Tests but the minute he faced him in a T20 he was lost.

OverratedSanity

Again, you are not getting the point. Steve Waugh in tests Vs Steve Waugh in ODIs. If you wanna keep Steve Waugh quiet in ODis you can bowl short at his body and he does not have the strokes required to get you away for runs. Tests, different story as he can duck and weave all day and then capitalize when you pitch it up. Also see Sehwag, Virender.
I agreed with your overall point though.

Just not with the short ball example. Waugh is a very unique case. The large majority of players with perceived problems against short pitched bowling struggle in tests and do well in the lo stuff. Raina, Bevan, Yuvi,. Etc. The rules in ODIs just make it easier to get away with pulls and hooks as the pressure release shot. In tests it's usually punished because of more catchers in those positions, a longer innings necessitating a proper defensive technique.