• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah they did well. I think England would have dominated that series statistically (the 2nd Test was an absolute thumping), but Pakistan won the sessions that mattered.
Yeah, the wins we had were like the ones in this series against SA, absolutely massive and it takes some kind of captain to pick them up like he did to draw that series. Sides had similar make ups too, better bowling than batting and senior batsman they rely so heavily on struggling for long periods of the tour.

Niall

International Coach
Yeah they did well. I think England would have dominated that series statistically (the 2nd Test was an absolute thumping), but Pakistan won the sessions that mattered.
Its a tricky one. They benefited from lovely conditions, but they blew a great position in the third test due to a lack of a lower order. It was a batting line up which probably when careers are complete is not on the same level as South Africa, but they showed more application than some of the prominent South Africa batsman and most importantly did not have any hacks bar Masood who they binned after 2 tests and was replaced by Sami Aslam who batted superbly.

Spark

Global Moderator
Its a tricky one. They benefited from lovely conditions, but they blew a great position in the third test due to a lack of a lower order. It was a batting line up which probably when careers are complete is not on the same level as South Africa, but they showed more application than some of the prominent South Africa batsman and most importantly did not have any hacks bar Masood who they binned after 2 tests and was replaced by Sami Aslam who batted superbly.
South Africa were just a bit off in all departments tbh. Bowled badly or aimlessly at critical times when conditions were favourable, threw away starts with the bat, and dropped way, way too many catches. Sloppy all round.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Well done England, played good cricket at beat us comprehensively.

Disappointing tour for SA, nothing quite went right and we did not look good for most of it. Batting is a huge problem, but we also made to many mistakes in the field. And bowling did not perform well or consistently enough. Some tough decisions need to be made. I just hope that we can sort out some of the problems and move forward without to many issues.

flibbertyjibber

Mo is basically Mike Gatting and Phil Tufnell in one player. Scary really.

Mo averages 36.82 with 123 wkts in 41 tests and Tuffers had 121 in 42 tests @ 37.68
Mo averages 35.14 in 41 tests Gatting averaged 35.55 in 79 tests.
5 and 11 v 10 and 21 for 50's and hundreds so similar on that front too.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
South Africa were just a bit off in all departments tbh. Bowled badly or aimlessly at critical times when conditions were favourable, threw away starts with the bat, and dropped way, way too many catches. Sloppy all round.
Yeah I think ultimately only really Maharaj will be happy with his series. Obviously not everyone performed as badly as Duminy and Kuhn, but when you consider the level of most of those guys, most under performed.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I think ultimately only really Maharaj will be happy with his series. Obviously not everyone performed as badly as Duminy and Kuhn, but when you consider the level of most of those guys, most under performed.
Um Morkel.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Mo is basically Mike Gatting and Phil Tufnell in one player. Scary really.

Mo averages 36.82 with 123 wkts in 41 tests and Tuffers had 121 in 42 tests @ 37.68
Mo averages 35.14 in 41 tests Gatting averaged 35.55 in 79 tests.
5 and 11 v 10 and 21 for 50's and hundreds so similar on that front too.
The key difference between him and 'Gatting and Tufnell put together' would be the weight.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I hope George is feeling pleased with his day's work. Amla was out at 16:15 ftr.
Sometimes I feel sorry for the ****wits that keep talking down the Beard, they must be really miserable.

Yet then I think, **** it they deserve it.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
He underperformed for sure. A lot of that was not really his fault, but his actual returns were not what SA needed (even if his bowling was).
I don't think that means he underperformed, at all. Averaged 26ish and could have been better were it not for fielding lapses. Is sometimes criticised as unable to lead the attack but he proved that demonstrably false.

flibbertyjibber

Sometimes I feel sorry for the ****wits that keep talking down the Beard, they must be really miserable.

Yet then I think, **** it they deserve it.
He was poor last summer with the ball and in the winter was outbowled by Rashid but this summer he has been a revelation. Guess we have to take the rough with the smooth and accept he is a fine all round cricketer who does a great job for the team.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Team of the series (bat/bowl)

1. Dean Elgar (36)
2. Alastair Cook (33)
3. Hashim Amla (41)
4. Joe Root* (57)
5. Ben Stokes (37/43)
6. Johnny Bairstow + (41)
7. Moeen Ali (36/15)
8. Vernon Philander (44/23)
9. Toby Roland-Jones (21/22)
10. Morne Morkel (15/26)
11. James Anderson (6/14)

Could also pick Maharaj (13/30) given he took a lot more wickets than Philander or TRJ

And no, there were no other batsmen to average more than low 30s