• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quinton de Kock

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Sanath Jayasuriya did revolutionise the role of the ****** left arm dart merchant as well tbf (i.e. learn to meme-bat instead you boring ****s).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, this guy is more talented than Gilchrist with both bat and gloves.

Jeez, some of those catches with a supposedly dicky finger were out of this world. He just seems to play at a different level than other cricketers.

SeamUp

International Coach
I've said it before and I'll say it again, this guy is more talented than Gilchrist with both bat and gloves.

Jeez, some of those catches with a supposedly dicky finger were out of this world. He just seems to play at a different level than other cricketers.
Yeah, the keeping has just gone to new levels since Boucher first worked with him a couple of years back.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
His keeping has been terrific... but should he be SA long term keeper with his batting ability? He has the potential to come in at 4/5 and take games away like AB and possibly even better? Does he get burdened with keeping... not like SA is short of young keepers atm.

Marius

International Debutant
His keeping has been terrific... but should he be SA long term keeper with his batting ability? He has the potential to come in at 4/5 and take games away like AB and possibly even better? Does he get burdened with keeping... not like SA is short of young keepers atm.
I like QDK at seven, I think having a gun like him there can demoralise opposition. That said, guys like Second and Klaasen could do the same. Second isn't a smasher like QDK or Klaasen, but he'll still be a banker for you at seven.

Mosehle is a decent keeper, but he can't bat higher than 8 in the Test side.

Zinzan

I like QDK at seven, I think having a gun like him there can demoralise opposition. That said, guys like Second and Klaasen could do the same. Second isn't a smasher like QDK or Klaasen, but he'll still be a banker for you at seven.

Mosehle is a decent keeper, but he can't bat higher than 8 in the Test side.
I do too, I can see the logic of those calling for him to go up the order, but I'd leave him at 7 doing exactly what Gilchrist did..... and the fact he scores fast enough and he has a more than decent lower order to support him he shouldn't run out of partners too often. Perhaps a promotion to 6 if SA find a really talented allrounder in the near future.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I do too, I can see the logic of those calling for him to go up the order, but I'd leave him at 7 doing exactly what Gilchrist did..... and the fact he scores fast enough and he has a more than decent lower order to support him he shouldn't run out of partners too often. Perhaps a promotion to 6 if SA find a really talented allrounder in the near future.
3 very good potentials on the horizon, Mulder, Savage and Smith.

Oh and Phelukwayo.

cnerd123

likes this
Guys SA literally have Gilchrist Reincarnate in their XI and you want them to take the gloves off him and/or move up him the order?

Leave him where he is. He's awesome.

morgieb

Guys SA literally have Gilchrist Reincarnate in their XI and you want them to take the gloves off him and/or move up him the order?

Leave him where he is. He's awesome.
Except Gilchrist batted 7 behind one of the ATG batting line-ups. de Kock is South Africa's best batsman, him at 7 is a waste IMO.

cnerd123

likes this
Nah it's speculation to suggest that QDK batting higher = more runs. There is no evidence to back this theory up and you risk ruining the one thing that's working well.

I am never a fan of changing something that is working exactly 100% how it is intended to. Like he is literally the best functioning player and you want to risk moving him around? That's how you handle a player who is great in his role? By changing it?

Nah, disagree entirely. At most I agree with moving him up to 6 with an allrounder under him. But to redefine him as a middle order batsman and to change the one thing that's working in the hope that you can get better...nah.

SeamUp

International Coach
Nah it's speculation to suggest that QDK batting higher = more runs. There is no evidence to back this theory up and you risk ruining the one thing that's working well.

I am never a fan of changing something that is working exactly 100% how it is intended to. Like he is literally the best functioning player and you want to risk moving him around? That's how you handle a player who is great in his role? By changing it?

Nah, disagree entirely. At most I agree with moving him up to 6 with an allrounder under him. But to redefine him as a middle order batsman and to change the one thing that's working in the hope that you can get better...nah.
I agree. He is also the most adept with AB de Villiers who could bat with our lower-order and tail-enders to maximise the scoring potential of something that is working.

For now I would keep him at 7 until we have a young all-rounder who we feel is ready for test cricket and promote him to 6 but not quite yet.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Yeah, why would anyone want the best batsman in the team at number 3 or 4? Why did Ponting move from 6 to 3 after averaging 50 at number 6 after five years in that position?

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah, why would anyone want the best batsman in the team at number 3 or 4? Why did Ponting move from 6 to 3 after averaging 50 at number 6 after five years in that position?
Different skill-sets and dynamics to our squad. He is our best keeper as well.