• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From a media perspective I would expect them to debut Kugz overseas/hidden in the rugby season. Will be a ****storm if he was to be selected now, and an absolute distraction to the team.
Would be stupid if they feel they have to approach it that way. Chap had his day in court, was found not guilty, so it's end of. Screw the media, and either way there'll be a ****storm whether he debuts overseas or not. In that respect I feel it's probably better for NZ cricket and Kuggs if he played whenever he's the next cab of the rank in terms of earning the call up.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Dane Piedt called up by Proteas.
Just coming in to post that.... I`m glad its him, he bowled pretty well for SA before getting injured and he seems to be returning to some form. Getting captaincy role I think has helped him. At the same time do think Shamsi must be a long term consideration for SA.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Would be stupid if they feel they have to approach it that way. Chap had his day in court, was found not guilty, so it's end of. Screw the media, and either way there'll be a ****storm whether he debuts overseas or not. In that respect I feel it's probably better for NZ cricket and Kuggs if he played whenever he's the next cab of the rank in terms of earning the call up.
like it or not PR is part of doing business in the public eye. Of course they're going to be careful with it.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
like it or not PR is part of doing business in the public eye. Of course they're going to be careful with it.
Being cognisant of PR stuff is one thing, but not picking a player the selectors believe warrants a place in the side (assuming they do) for this very reason really is tail wagging dog stuff IMO.

There'd be few arguments about his non-selection had he been found guilty, but he wasn't...end of.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just coming in to post that.... I`m glad its him, he bowled pretty well for SA before getting injured and he seems to be returning to some form. Getting captaincy role I think has helped him. At the same time do think Shamsi must be a long term consideration for SA.
Agree with that. I think Piedt and Harmer are our next best First-class spinners. They've done the hard yards and proved themselves over a number of seasons. When it comes to limited overs cricket they both fall down the pecking order.

SeamUp

International Coach
Another pissy day in the capital today. The build-up reminds me a lot of the lead-in to the 2002 series v India were it rained for almost the entire fortnight before the game.
Hopefully he looked at the weather before all the rain happened and tried to keep it as hard as possible. At least the forecast looks good bar a bit of Saturday. High winds and some rain.

Flem274*

123/5
I just hope Williamson and Hesson aren't labelled rape apologists or something if he is picked.
i'd be less worried about that because it's inevitable to come from someone and more worried about the team. they're humans with opinions too, and if they followed the trial and read some of the icky details then they might not exactly hold kuggs in the highest regard.

a bit like reintergrating amir i guess (i know one was found guilty but you know what i mean - big court case on uncomfortable topic)

91Jmay

International Coach
i'd be less worried about that because it's inevitable to come from someone and more worried about the team. they're humans with opinions too, and if they followed the trial and read some of the icky details then they might not exactly hold kuggs in the highest regard.

a bit like reintergrating amir i guess (i know one was found guilty but you know what i mean - big court case on uncomfortable topic)
Yeah, he was found not guilty so shouldn't be stopped from playing but sheesh he sounds like an absolute gross creep. Exactly the kind of stereotype of an entitled arsehole sportsman.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
From a media perspective I would expect them to debut Kugz overseas/hidden in the rugby season. Will be a ****storm if he was to be selected now, and an absolute distraction to the team.
Maybe if we were England, operating in the Fleet Street red-tops environment. But this is New Zealand, with a very low profile sportsman and from what I observed (and I'm a very keen follower of media) a reasonably low profile case.

David White has already said Kuggeleijn will be considered for selection on the same basis as anyone else, and that created not a stir. So no, it wouldn't create a ****storm - the only ****storm would be if he wasn't selected ahead of someone less worthy, then anyone, if not him then someone else, called it out as a non-selection based on what the courts deemed an innocent man.

Marius

International Debutant
Maybe if we were England, operating in the Fleet Street red-tops environment. But this is New Zealand, with a very low profile sportsman and from what I observed (and I'm a very keen follower of media) a reasonably low profile case.

David White has already said Kuggeleijn will be considered for selection on the same basis as anyone else, and that created not a stir. So no, it wouldn't create a ****storm - the only ****storm would be if he wasn't selected ahead of someone less worthy, then anyone, if not him then someone else, called it out as a non-selection based on what the courts deemed an innocent man.
Just read about the case. He does sound like a piece of work (apparently she was 'asking for it' because she wore a short skirt) but he was acquitted and must be treated as someone who has not committed a crime. Makhaya Ntini was found guilty of rape, which was overturned on appeal, and he had a full career for South Africa.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Just read about the case. He does sound like a piece of work (apparently she was 'asking for it' because she wore a short skirt) but he was acquitted and must be treated as someone who has not committed a crime. Makhaya Ntini was found guilty of rape, which was overturned on appeal, and he had a full career for South Africa.
Yeah...I dunno if that's him that was the piece of work or his lawyer - I didn't follow the case too closely but sentiment seemed to be in here that his lawyer led the case down a murky, awful path to do with slut shaming, no means yes and her declaring she was on the pill, which was consent. The whole thing did seem like it stunk and obviously that attaches to him as a correlation. But yeah, as you say, he must be treated as an innocent man. He should have also been for NZ A when he 'chose' (read was likely told to) step down from consideration due to the upcoming case.

There's little doubt he should play for NZ in the next 12 months, it's highly likely he would've played this summer if not for the case. Yes, there'll be mention of the case if/when he is selected but I cannot see that it'll create any real waves, and as I said previously no women's rights groups have attached themselves to it yet which I'd expect to be the case if it were ever going to happen.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Boult out of the 2nd test - huge blow given Taylor's absence, though I suppose no worse than what SA are having to go through missing AB and Steyn.

Sounds like Henry will replace him.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, he was found not guilty so shouldn't be stopped from playing but sheesh he sounds like an absolute gross creep. Exactly the kind of stereotype of an entitled arsehold sportsman.
Pretty much my thoughts. And I accept he's been found not guilty and should be picked if he deserves a spot. But I'll find it pretty difficult if not impossible to cheer for a side with him in it.

Is he even that close really? I'd have thought there's a few like McClennaghan, Wheeler, Milne, Ferguson etc who might be ahead in the pecking order.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
@Bahnz
Disappointing and not unexpected. Pretty bad from Williamson to over-bowl him and Wagner like that in the first test - Doull was right to say those 9+ over spells are just asking for trouble.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much my thoughts. And I accept he's been found not guilty and should be picked if he deserves a spot. But I'll find it pretty difficult if not impossible to cheer for a side with him in it.

Is he even that close really? I'd have thought there's a few like McClennaghan, Wheeler, Milne, Ferguson etc who might be ahead in the pecking order.
Nah, McC is injured and hasn't played all season and even considering that his FC numbers have never been flash (averages 36). Wheeler another serial crock though would be closer to a call-up if he could stay on the park. Milne's played about 3 FC games in the last 3 years, and hasn't exactly dazzled in any of them . The only one who'd even be in the conversation would be Ferguson, but his poor returns in ODI's are probably likely to count against him in the short term.

Out of those currently available, Kugz would probably sit behind Henry just. But Henry's poor performances with the red ball should count for quite a bit at this point, and I'm not sure who I'd honestly prefer in my side given the extra batting that Kugz provides.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Nah, McC is injured and hasn't played all season and even considering that his FC numbers have never been flash (averages 36). Wheeler another serial crock though would be closer to a call-up if he could stay on the park. Milne's played about 3 FC games in the last 3 years, and hasn't exactly dazzled in any of them . The only one who'd even be in the conversation would be Ferguson, but his poor returns in ODI's are probably likely to count against him in the short term.

Out of those currently available, Kugz would probably sit behind Henry just. But Henry's poor performances with the red ball should count for quite a bit at this point, and I'm not sure who I'd honestly prefer in my side given the extra batting that Kugz provides.
Fair enough, I admit I don't know much of any of the bowlers I've mentioned first class records.

Henry is in the squad so must be ahead for now, but yeah, it's not an exciting prospect having him back in the side.