• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably one of our greatest ODI knocks ever. Made especially awesome by how little he wanted to run in that last over so he casually launched Tahir into orbit twice.
Arguably has 3 of NZ's top 5 all-time ODI knocks now.

How easily did he play Tahir though, that was the most impressive thing. Tahir looked petrified of him towards the end.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Didn't Henry kill a weak Sri Lankan batting lineup and has otherwise bowled pretty awfully?
he's bowled consistently well with the new ball and awfully at the death. As opposed to southee who has just been consistently poor all around, for a much longer period. At this stage it almost doesn't matter because southee needs a massive kick up the butt.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Great innings and come back from Guptill.... these games could have been very different if he had not been injured for the first 4.

Well done to NZ on a great win.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AB diving for the last ball there when there's 2 to win from 30 was nice to see. Love the man.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Great innings and come back from Guptill.... these games could have been very different if he had not been injured for the first 4.

Well done to NZ on a great win.
Yes, that was a terrific innings from Guptill. Good knock from Taylor as well, in the winning partnership.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
he's bowled consistently well with the new ball and awfully at the death. As opposed to southee who has just been consistently poor all around, for a much longer period. At this stage it almost doesn't matter because southee needs a massive kick up the butt.
To be fair to Southee, he has taken on a lot of the death bowling roles and has by-and-large bowled when it wasn't a good time to be bowling. He still should be dropped but I just wanted to point that out.

Heboric

International Debutant
Great knock by Guptill.

Proteas should only play 2 of - Andile, Pretorious, Morris, Parnell - nothing more

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Duminy's got to go surely.
He is unlikely to go before the Champions... De Bruyn should come in for Duminy but won`t happen. SA need an extra strike bowler back and must only play 2 of the allrounders, come on Morkel.

Howe_zat

Audio File
When I saw NZ had chased it 3 down, with Ronchi batting five, I convinced myself it's time to bump Howsie's thread about him

The Howsie magic has to happen soon, right

Bahseph

State Captain
The Protea attack is really missing another strike bowler. More specifically a consistent one. Rabada and Tahir are locks, but Phehlukwayo, Parnell and Morris are too inconsistent.

While Pretorious lacks pace which makes him easier to line up on flat tracks. If they pick Philander for the CT it won't dent the batting depth and he could be dangerous upfront.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Evenly matched sides. Final game will finally prove whether New Zealand are actually unstoppable at home. New Zealand are much hard to beat at tests then in limited overs I feel.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry if I've missed the boat but surely there's a strong train of thought that AB needs to bat at 4? Can't at all see the logic of a guy who averages 54 coming out with more than half the overs gone. Surely you want the influence of your best player a spot higher, giving him as many overs to bat. I know he's a freak at the death but surely the rule of comparative advantage adds up to him batting 4, controlling the game and the likes of Pretorius, Morris, Parnell and another 5 other than Duminy if desired doing the finishing.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Godly innings from Guptill and for mine certainly up there with such beauties as the Fleming 134 at Joburg, Cairns 102 at Nairobi et al.

I did think NZ winning and in such style overshadowed a questionable selection which I would hope is a one off. Of course it was discussed in the thread at the start of the match, but had NZ lost I think the management's decision to play Patel over Sodhi would have come much more into focus. Fair play to Jeets for doing his bit, but wow, what sort of a message does it send.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry if I've missed the boat but surely there's a strong train of thought that AB needs to bat at 4? Can't at all see the logic of a guy who averages 54 coming out with more than half the overs gone. Surely you want the influence of your best player a spot higher, giving him as many overs to bat. I know he's a freak at the death but surely the rule of comparative advantage adds up to him batting 4, controlling the game and the likes of Pretorius, Morris, Parnell and another 5 other than Duminy if desired doing the finishing.
AB is batting 5 because Duminy struggles batting at 5/6 and tends to do better at 4. Silly but that is the way it is. Other issue is that SA have good top order batsmen domestically, but few finishers at 6 other than Behardien who has been pretty good in the finishing role generally..... but its Behardien.

SA keep getting into problems which AB has to get us out... but would the problems exist if AB came in at 4 rather than Duminy. He scores so quickly that he just takes pressure of the other batsmen...

But I can`t see anything changing at the moment.

Burner

International Regular
AB is batting 5 because Duminy struggles batting at 5/6 and tends to do better at 4. Silly but that is the way it is. Other issue is that SA have good top order batsmen domestically, but few finishers at 6 other than Behardien who has been pretty good in the finishing role generally..... but its Behardien.

SA keep getting into problems which AB has to get us out... but would the problems exist if AB came in at 4 rather than Duminy. He scores so quickly that he just takes pressure of the other batsmen...

But I can`t see anything changing at the moment.
If Duminy can't hack it at 5, he needs to be told to **** right off imo. AB is already batting too low at number 4, and now he's batting at 5 !? Presposterous.