• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson v Tim Southee

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thread derailment alert but: I've never quite understood this prevailing assumption, particularly among NZ fans, that Southee is the true talent of his generation while Boult by comparison is his limited but gutsy back-up.
Sorry, but who's ever said or even intimated this? Honestly never heard the theory, at least in the last 2-3 years that Boult is a poor-mans Southee, or lesser than him in any respect. My impression is all NZ fans rate Boult at least slightly above Southee.

DriveClub

International Regular
Southee's never swung it both ways, but instead got reams of wickets with a well disguised off cutter. Or at least he used to, kinda lacks the accuracy now to pose a real threat with it.
Off cutters are what most outswing bowlers use but it's slightly easier to read if you're slower through the air like southee is, more effective for someone like steyn or mcgrath etc

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sorry, but who's ever said or even intimated this? Honestly never heard the theory, at least in the last 2-3 years that Boult is a poor-mans Southee, or lesser than him in any respect. My impression is all NZ fans rate Boult at least slightly above Southee.
I'd still bet most supporters think Southee has more talent but Boult is better.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Did Anderson at his age? I'm pretty sure it was one of his chief criticisms.
That was my memory too. Was criticised relentlessly for James Franklin-esque head-dropping and shoulder-slumping iirc. Of course being petulant, losing confidence and sulking when you're not going well doesn't indicate a paucity of desire, which is (allegedly) Southee's problem. Though I do think Southee lacks a little confidence under the surface. Confidence and performance go hand in hand obviously.

To be an ATG bowler I don't think you need to be borderline personality disordered (utterly obsessive like Hadlee, ultra competitive and want to destroy batsmen like so many fast bowlers), but it sure helps ;).

thierry henry

International Coach
It's a bit fruitless to argue about what other people think but all I can say is the prevailing attitude I have seen is that Southee is the top dog, the leader of the attack, the huge talent etc

There seems to be more acceptance with Boult that he is just doing his thing and we shouldn't expect much more, whereas Southee should be so much more than what he is

Perhaps some of it is just subtext or me reading things into people's posts. I've never really looked at Southee's bowling and thought "this bloke should be a destroyer" but there's a recurring theme at CW that he should be one of the best bowlers in the world.

Zinzan

Perhaps some of it is just subtext or me reading things into people's posts. I've never really looked at Southee's bowling and thought "this bloke should be a destroyer" but there's a recurring theme at CW that he should be one of the best bowlers in the world.
Possibly only from Bahnz and Athers from my impression, with Howie obviously adoring both equally, but we'll see what Bahnz's thread on it throws up.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think being able to swing the ball both ways is necessarily that big of an asset. As long as you've got a variation sufficient to beat the bat or catch the edge then that's enough. You're quite right though about Southee - even at his best - never having shown the proficiency with the old ball that Anderson has.
I think it's a massive asset. It allows you to interrogate all techniques, be they left handed or right handed. And if disguised right, and done late, it's absolutely lethal - even to those with good techniques. Look at Simon Jones in the 05 Ashes, he was absolutely incredible with his mastery of out and in swing to LHers and RHers. The one that sticks out is Michael Clarke looking to comfortably leave a ball on about 6/7th stump that came back to demolish his off pole. So good to watch.

Southee's off cutter is now ancient history because he doesn't bowl length at any sustained period, and prefers to bowl short **** which might suit his ego but makes him a much less effective bowlers against good opposition.

Zinzan

I think it's a massive asset. It allows you to interrogate all techniques, be they left handed or right handed. And if disguised right, and done late, it's absolutely lethal - even to those with good techniques. Look at Simon Jones in the 05 Ashes, he was absolutely incredible with his mastery of out and in swing to LHers and RHers. The one that sticks out is Michael Clarke looking to comfortably leave a ball on about 6/7th stump that came back to demolish his off pole. So good to watch.

Southee's off cutter is now ancient history because he doesn't bowl length at any sustained period, and prefers to bowl short **** which might suit his ego but makes him a much less effective bowlers against good opposition.
Yeah, I'm with you, seems a little daft to suggest having the ability to move it both ways isn't an enormous asset.

Daemon

I do enjoy all this armchair psychological analysis of how motivated Southee is.

Zinzan

I do enjoy all this armchair psychological analysis of how motivated Southee is.
I won't speak for others, but for me it's not necessarily that he isn't motivated, I just find he's mentally soft tbh. The classic down-hill slalom cricketer.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm with you, seems a little daft to suggest having the ability to move it both ways isn't an enormous asset.
To be clear, I'm not saying that swinging the ball both ways isn't an asset, I meant that being able to deceive the batsman by bowling a well disguised in-swinger doesn't offer that much of an advantage over being able to deceive a batsman with a well disguised off-cutter.

Last edited:

Zinzan

To be clear, I meant that being able to deceive the batsman by bowling a well disguised in-swinger doesn't offer that much of an advantage over being able to deceive a batsman with a well disguised off-cutter.
I think it does & massively so. The in-swinger is much more likely to move late & hence be considerably harder to pick.

Burgey

I think it does & massively so. The in-swinger is much more likely to move late & hence be considerably harder to pick.
Isn't an off cutter, by definition, going to move later than an inswinger?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
To be clear, I'm not saying that swinging the ball both ways isn't an asset, I meant that being able to deceive the batsman by bowling a well disguised in-swinger doesn't offer that much of an advantage over being able to deceive a batsman with a well disguised off-cutter.
Agree - being able to swing the ball both ways looks spectacular on the rare occasions that conditions are right for it and the bowler can get it going with control, so probably sticks in the memory more readily. However I don't think it offers any day-in day-out effectiveness advantage compared to another bowler who gets regulation swing, seam movement from rolling their fingers over the ball and preferably, a little reverse when conditions suit.

indiaholic

International Captain
We still can analyze technique and stuff that he does or doesn't do on the field. Guessing what his motivation levels are is tough unless you know people who work with him or some such

vcs

While this is all likely correct, I don't think Southee has the skills to be compared to Anderson. Apart from Anderson's unerring ability with the new ball when conditions suit, he can actually move the ball both ways, whereas Southee's really only has the outswinger & then the one he bowls across the seam which goes straight on as his variation. This saying nothing about the fact Anderson's also miles better than Southee at reverse-swing.

I'll be really surprised if Southee ends up averaging under 30 like Anderson does at the age of 34, assuming he plays that long.

I think while their career numbers might have some parallels, their skill level & heart, not quite so much.
Yeah, Anderson went through periods where he showed absolute mastery of swing and had the ball moving both ways at will (some spells vs. Sangakkara in the 2011 series, vs. India later that year, Ashes 2010-11, even in 2007 when India won). I don't think Southee has done that even when he stepped up a level between 2012-2015. Anderson also added reverse swing to his armory after 2010-11 or so.

Zinzan

Isn't an off cutter, by definition, going to move later than an inswinger?
True but it's also generally not going to have as much pace on it.

Yes what OS said, and also if you ask any top batsman, they always maintain late swing is the most challenging thing to face, much more so than movement off the seam. If surprised me a little when I first heard that many years ago, and I've heard it many times since.

Zinzan

Not to be a dick, but remove the armchair opinions and what are we left with? INot sure what your expectation is.
Lol, especially when an armchair critic is critiquing other armchair critics about critiquing.