• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradmanesque

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hey buddy, you are making too much sense, so the guys on these forums will go after you or completely ignore you. You are not allowed to "not glorify" Bradman here.
It's not about not glorifying Bradman. But saying his post made too much sense is a bit much.

Bradman is the greatest statistical outlier in sport that I know of. Saying he achieved what he did because of the conditions he played in (same opposition, familiar grounds) actually makes no sense because everyone in his era played under the same conditions.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
yeah but he's never done it on a cloudy day at headingley in the 80s against a bowling attack of trueman, ambrose, mcgrath and hadlee so **** him the overrated ftb.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Christ, imagine opening the bowling to Sehwag and Warner. Be an absolute nightmare.

At a much much lower level, we used to play against a bloke who was a ridiculously devastating opening bat. He looked like a fat Ned Kelly and had coke bottle glasses, so the first time I played against him I'm wondering why the skipper has five blokes out on the boundary ball one.

Bloke was insane. Pulled the first ball over a four lane road onto railway tracks and the second straight *over* a railway bridge behind the bowler. Ball got lost and we pulled out a new one, to which he said "you can't have a new ball". He'd usually get out for about 60-70 after seven or eight overs, then the field would come in and normal cricket would be played. I mean, he played first grade in the 80s and against really good sides the score would regularly be 0/55 off four or something. Was like T20 before it existed.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Warner matched what bradman did by scoring a 100 before lunch. So sone comparison is relevant.

That really takes something special.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Poems about Dave Warner

There was a young man named Dave Warner

Who one night Joe Root did corner

They said he batted like Bradman

Without quite that average, man

Because he had the brains of flora not fauna

jonbrooks

International Debutant
You could answer my question though. Seeing as you used your points to denigrate Bradman's record, I'd ask you why, if as you say in your points, it was easier in his era, that no one else averaged anywhere near what he did?
The reason others didn't average as high was purely because they were not good enough. Bradman was, within the confines of the game as they were back then. For the record, in the body-line series when proper tactics were used Bradman's average was a more down to earth 55. That is the biggest clue as to how he would have fared in the modern game where it is a whole lot more tactical and opposition players are ruthless.

Last edited:

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Hey buddy, you are making too much sense, so the guys on these forums will go after you or completely ignore you. You are not allowed to "not glorify" Bradman here.
They're most welcome to go after me. I'll keep shooting them down. I haven't been overly impressed with the cricketing IQ of a lot of the posters on this forum. Especially those who've made thousands of posts. The proverbial "empty vessels make the most sound" rings true here.

TheJediBrah

The reason others didn't average as high was purely because they were not good enough. Bradman was, within the confines of the game as they were back then. For the record, in the body-line series when proper tactics were used Bradman's average was a more down to earth 55. That is the biggest clue as to how he would have fared in the modern game where it is a whole lot more tactical and opposition players are ruthless.
Ignoring the fact that all of this is complete rubbish, "in the body-line series when proper tactics were used"?

as in tactics that have since been effectively banned and led to a long-term change in cricketing laws and wouldn't even be allowed today? Those are "proper tactics"?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Guys on this forum are considerably more intelligent than other nationalistic dick wavers from places like Pakpassion (although Blocky is doing his best to bring the collective iq down) so they do tend to go after people who make stupid comments.
LOL, the number of "X vs Y" threads you guys create clearly show your level of intelligence.

Secondly, you guys are not open to people who have a different view or disagree with you. The troll army is ready to take down anyone who doesn't disagree with a few members here.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
They're most welcome to go after me. I'll keep shooting them down. I haven't been overly impressed with the cricketing IQ of a lot of the posters on this forum. Especially those who've made thousands of posts. The proverbial "empty vessels make the most sound" rings true here.
Guess we are going to get banned soon:laugh:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
It's not about not glorifying Bradman. But saying his post made too much sense is a bit much.

Bradman is the greatest statistical outlier in sport that I know of. Saying he achieved what he did because of the conditions he played in (same opposition, familiar grounds) actually makes no sense because everyone in his era played under the same conditions.
That is the keyword, "statistical outlier". Like I have said previously, nothing against him, but comparing him with greats from other era and rating Bradman above them is pure BS. Takes away all the hardwork from players from other area who have played in a more professional era in varied conditions.

vcs

It's nonsense. Look at his FC record, compare it with the FC records of everyone else who played back then. He still averages close to 100, over 20 years and a pretty huge sample size. But yeah, he was probably the Voges of his era. 8-)

Daemon

"You guys need to be more open minded"

"Anyone who says Bradman is the best is talking BS"