• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shafiq and Pak's Unbeaten Streak

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The problem is that most of the general public still looks at Shafiq and Azhar as young batsmen because they don't pay attention to uae cricket much. They've been around for ages and shouldn't be in the same bracket as the big 4 + Rahane, Pujara, de kock etc. because they're both almost 31. They're very good, but they aren't exactly up and comers with loads of potential. It's likely, although not a guarantee, that they've already peaked.

Edit : Azhar is actually close to 32.

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
Big time filthy casual when it comes to UAE games..Will confess that I didn't even watch the day night test even though it would have started in the evening here.

Flem274*

123/5
shafiq is a 30 year old 50 test veteran who still hides down at #6. I used to be a big fan ever since I saw him in NZ in 2009 but he's disappointing imo. Good record but whenever you ask him to do something harder, like bat at #3, he flops.

Shady Slim

International Coach
shafiq is a 30 year old 50 test veteran who still hides down at #6. I used to be a big fan ever since I saw him in NZ in 2009 but he's disappointing imo. Good record but whenever you ask him to do something harder, like bat at #3, he flops.
it's good to know ian chappell discovered cw

Slifer

International Captain
Nope. My definition of all-time great is someone who I would put in shortlist for consideration of an all-time XI. Miandad was a great batsman and Pakistan's best, but he doesnt fall in that category. Even Dravid doesnt.

The only all-time great cricketers by my definition that Pakistan have produced that would be definitely considered for an all-time XI are Imran Khan and Wasim Akram. The other big names fall into great/world class category.
Actually that's pretty good reasoning.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Back to Shafiq..

The guy played a hell of a knock in Brisbane and is clearly one of the most technically proficient batsmen in this Pakistan team.

But, it seems to imply that he doesn't get much attention due to the Big 3 bias, which is not really true. Williamson gets plenty of hype without being a Big 3 player. Shafiq hasn't really dominated a series, or gone on a tear of run-scoring to make it impossible to ignore him. Scoring a pretty century every series or so will keep you firmly in Rahane territory.
Shafiq > Rahane for me...for now. But yeah, I disagree with the portion of the cricinfo article that talks about the big three bias in the media, which is certainly a problem but the bigger issue is that the Pakistani media itself ignores Shafiq. The same way they ignored Khan and Misbah for so long, just because they didn't fit into the Imran, Wasim and Waqar mold of superstar.

The problem is that most of the general public still looks at Shafiq and Azhar as young batsmen because they don't pay attention to uae cricket much. They've been around for ages and shouldn't be in the same bracket as the big 4 + Rahane, Pujara, de kock etc. because they're both almost 31. They're very good, but they aren't exactly up and comers with loads of potential. It's likely, although not a guarantee, that they've already peaked.

Edit : Azhar is actually close to 32.
It's ridiculous that some commentators...ahem Botham... go ahead and call him a "young lad" or "this young guy is so talented". I can tell the casuals a mile off with that.

LOL how is he hiding at 3? The guy has Khan and Misbah at 4 and 5 and he isn't going to take their place and there was a time when the likes of Hafeez were batting at 3. Shafiq when given 6 innings at 3 made 3 50+ scores. That's not bad going at all but it was the Pakistan think tank that sought to put him back down at 6 and have Azam at 3 instead.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Nope. My definition of all-time great is someone who I would put in shortlist for consideration of an all-time XI. Miandad was a great batsman and Pakistan's best, but he doesnt fall in that category. Even Dravid doesnt.

The only all-time great cricketers by my definition that Pakistan have produced that would be definitely considered for an all-time XI are Imran Khan and Wasim Akram. The other big names fall into great/world class category.
I understand the reasoning but that limits you to only 11, maybe 12 or 13 at a stretch, players that you'd rank as ATG. I'm curious to see what you're XI is.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I understand the reasoning but that limits you to only 11, maybe 12 or 13 at a stretch, players that you'd rank as ATG. I'm curious to see what you're XI is.
It doesn't. There are easily 2+ genuine contenders for each slot except 3.

listento_me

U19 Captain
It doesn't. There are easily 2+ genuine contenders for each slot except 3.
So now you've just backtracked because you don't want to settle on an XI and you think the only batsman alongside Hobbs to never average below 50 at any point in his career isn't at least deserving of a second spot pick somewhere in the middle order? Alright fella :)

listento_me

U19 Captain
Anyway let's keep on track. Shafiq over Rahane considering Rahane only has a handful of tests at Shafiqs best position (thus far).

I think Shafiq is ready for 3 or 4 once Khan and Misbah go. Azam should probably come down at 5 and I honestly believe Sharjeel given enough confidence could do a job as opener so Ali slots in at 3.

Pakistan's possible 2017 test batting line up could be:

Aslam (persevere with this kid, he is sound)
Sharjeel (bash and dash)
Ali
Shafiq
Azam
Sarfraz

srbhkshk

International Captain
So now you've just backtracked because you don't want to settle on an XI and you think the only batsman alongside Hobbs to never average below 50 at any point in his career isn't at least deserving of a second spot pick somewhere in the middle order? Alright fella :)
The original quote wasn't mine.I was just saying that this doesn't limit the number of players to 13. And yep he doesn't deserve to be in the atg XI. Not sure exactly what you are trying to prove with some random good stat about Miandad.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway let's keep on track. Shafiq over Rahane considering Rahane only has a handful of tests at Shafiqs best position (thus far).

I think Shafiq is ready for 3 or 4 once Khan and Misbah go. Azam should probably come down at 5 and I honestly believe Sharjeel given enough confidence could do a job as opener so Ali slots in at 3.

Pakistan's possible 2017 test batting line up could be:

Aslam (persevere with this kid, he is sound)
Sharjeel (bash and dash)
Ali
Shafiq
Azam
Sarfraz
Rahane's more than 2 years younger than Shafiq, who's in his prime and probably unlikely to get much better. Isn't that the logic you use to take Root above Kohli?