• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shafiq and Pak's Unbeaten Streak

listento_me

U19 Captain
Just saw an interesting article on Cricinfo about Shafiq being an unsung hero of Pakistan's rise in test cricket and tbh, I've overlooked him too but just having a look through the 7 test series and 20 tests in which Pakistan went unbeaten, the guy managed to average 50 largely at number 6, with a spattering 5, 7 and even 3. It gets better, 5 centuries and 8 fifties. I think he has surpassed Sobers runs at number 6 but I'm not sure. All this while not getting to bat in 8 innings, which is a pretty significant chunk. If he had regularly batted at 3-5 where the teams best batsmen normally bat, you can be sure he would not have had 8 missed innings, even with Pakistan's ransacking of Australia.

Along with Khan, Misbah and Ali, Shafiq has been a giant for Pakistan in this period and the fact that he has scored a century in SA, England AND Asutralia are even better, considering neither Root nor Kohli have managed that trinity. Unsung hero indeed.

Oh and let's not forget his average jumps up to 63 in matches Pak have won. This guy is a contributor when it matters most.

I'm going to be appreciating him a lot more from now on.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good, now Pakistan fans can overrate him like Younis "I love flat decks" Khan

listento_me

U19 Captain
I don't get it, Khan averages 50 in England, 40 or more in NZ and Australia. He only really averages bad in the Windies, which haven't produced many bowling tracks in recent years although he batted there well before his peak years. He also has a century everywhere except in Australia but 4 tests isn't a lot and it's sad that he was cut from Pakistan sides at random intervals.

If you don't see that then you must be trolling and I've just wasted my time.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't get it, Khan averages 50 in England, 40 or more in NZ and Australia. He only really averages bad in the Windies, which haven't produced many bowling tracks in recent years although he batted there well before his peak years. He also has a century everywhere except in Australia but 4 tests isn't a lot and it's sad that he was cut from Pakistan sides at random intervals.

:laugh:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Again, on the flat wickets in those countries. I've checked the stats.

And there's hardly a case for Younis as any kind of ATG when he can't score a century in Australia. Clearly not a man for all seasons so why should he be a man for all of time?

Rootfan

Banned

Younis Khan: Overall stats away from the subcontinent excluding Zimbabwe:

2307 runs@39.10 with 5 centuries.

Just for comparison, Ashwin's stats away from the subcontinent as a batsman: 635 runs@35.27 with 2 centuries.

And since you brought up Kohli in the comparison in the OP for no reason: Kohli outside the subcontinent:

1939 runs@46.16 with 8 centuries.

On the basis of their records outside the subcontinent and if they were to be rated by their prowess outside the subcontinent, Younis Khan's numbers are closer to Ashwin's than to Kohli's!

Since you also compared Shafiq to Kohli, here are Shafiq's numbers outside the subcontinent:

823 runs@31.65 with 3 tons.

Finally, he was "not cut off at random intervals". He chose to go fishing and skipped difficult tours of England circa 2010 and also Australia. The neutral tests vs Australia in England and the England no-ball series in particular were played on very green wickets. Would have definitely pushed his outside the SC average below 35.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
I've seen enough from Younis playing on difficult wickets to know he is no flat track bully (that would be Mohd. Yousuf). Certainly didnt score as prolifically as Dravid or Tendulkar though and cant be considered an all-time great. Even Miandad doesnt qualify for me.

subshakerz

International Coach
What? Miandad is not an atg for you?
Nope. My definition of all-time great is someone who I would put in shortlist for consideration of an all-time XI. Miandad was a great batsman and Pakistan's best, but he doesnt fall in that category. Even Dravid doesnt.

The only all-time great cricketers by my definition that Pakistan have produced that would be definitely considered for an all-time XI are Imran Khan and Wasim Akram. The other big names fall into great/world class category.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Back to Shafiq..

The guy played a hell of a knock in Brisbane and is clearly one of the most technically proficient batsmen in this Pakistan team.

But, it seems to imply that he doesn't get much attention due to the Big 3 bias, which is not really true. Williamson gets plenty of hype without being a Big 3 player. Shafiq hasn't really dominated a series, or gone on a tear of run-scoring to make it impossible to ignore him. Scoring a pretty century every series or so will keep you firmly in Rahane territory.

Motorwada

Banned
Back to Shafiq..

The guy played a hell of a knock in Brisbane and is clearly one of the most technically proficient batsmen in this Pakistan team.

But, it seems to imply that he doesn't get much attention due to the Big 3 bias, which is not really true. Williamson gets plenty of hype without being a Big 3 player. Shafiq hasn't really dominated a series, or gone on a tear of run-scoring to make it impossible to ignore him. Scoring a pretty century every series or so will keep you firmly in Rahane territory.
Rahane far far better imo. Avg of 47 vs 41.

OverratedSanity

I see Rahane is being underrated again after one bad series. I love Shafiq but Rahane's quite comfortably a level above.

vcs

Yeah I didn't mean to say the two are equal. Most people would probably take Rahane over Shafiq. It's not an absurd comparison, though.