• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virat Kohli average watch thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am talking about this year and this year had the world t20. For all his brilliance in the IPL AbD went missing in the world t20.
Lol, one string of 3 games in a row wasn't it? And it's not like it was in his own backyard either.

indiaholic

International Captain
People are dropped due to the quota system more than anything. Not necessarily an indicator of anything.

Zinzan

People are dropped due to the quota system more than anything. Not necessarily an indicator of anything.
Well it is kind of an indication there's 4 other international players the respective side wants to play instead on that given day. Overseas players like Warner or AB don't get dropped.

But moreover it just proves what a tough competition it is.

indiaholic

International Captain
Nah mostly it is just a balance issue.. AB and Warner are ridiculously good so they won't get dropped. But KW may be the second best batsman in the team and may not ppay because the Indian fast bowlers in the squad are ****.

TheJediBrah

I don't think there is any argument whatsoever when talking all formats.........it's Kohli by a country mile, it's not even remotely close.

But just talking tests here, I must say (and I am surprising myself by even posting this) that I think Root is starting to get a little overated on here. I mean he is a fantastic batsmen and is certainly in the fab 4 tier, but I've seen you and a few others claiming he's out in front now and tbh, even with my red, white and blue blinkers on, I just can't see it.

His conversion rate is still not where it should be, and as much as I ****ing hate Steve Smith and think he is as ugly as sin to watch bat.........man you just can't argue with his numbers and when, where and how he scores his runs. Then there is this absolutely ridiculous year that Kohli is having in tests............I've got Root third in line tbh.
The irrational anti-Steve Smith attitude on this forum is as strong as ever. Say what you want about his on-field demeanor but some fans and posters here seem to get off on making statements that he "isn't as good as so and so" for some inexplicable reason.

OverratedSanity

Nah mostly it is just a balance issue.. AB and Warner are ridiculously good so they won't get dropped. But KW may be the second best batsman in the team and may not ppay because the Indian fast bowlers in the squad are ****.
Nope. Hyderabad have two of the best Indian quicks in the t20 format in Bhuvi and Nehra. Even Sran isn't terrible by India standards.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The irrational anti-Steve Smith attitude on this forum is as strong as ever. Say what you want about his on-field demeanor but some fans and posters here seem to get off on making statements that he "isn't as good as so and so" for some inexplicable reason.
I can only think of Blocky that is irrational in his assessment of Smith's batting.

Rootfan

Banned
Well it is kind of an indication there's 4 other international players the respective side wants to play instead on that given day. Overseas players like Warner or AB don't get dropped.

Don't pretend you know the inside dynamics of IPL better than the rest. As indiaholic says who plays and who gets dropped has more to do with team balance than anything else.

TheJediBrah

How much of the IPL have you seen? There are often some very, very weak attacks in the IPL. The very nature of the competition and contracts lends itself to huge dimorphism in quality even within a side, ie. 5 or 6 superstars and 2-3 or more ordinary players.

Add that to the fact that the overseas spots seem to go more to batsmen lately than bowlers and you have a lot games with several local Indian bowlers that are very ordinary. In terms of all-round quality I'd say BBL is higher standard, whereas IPL has more superstar players.

Rootfan

Banned
Smith has the most complete record of all bats playing today...on par with Amla AB IIRC. Averages 58!!!

TheJediBrah

Smith has the most complete record of all bats playing today...on par with Amla AB IIRC. Averages 58!!!
imagine how good he'll be when he finally hits puberty

btw 3 out of 5 of the top threads right now are Kohli threads

Rootfan

Banned
imagine how good he'll be when he finally hits puberty

btw 3 out of 5 of the top threads right now are Kohli threads
Smith is Nadalesque. Not great to watch but the best record in terms of completeness. Root is Federer. Rated the best by most but if you dig deep there are holes. Djokovic is probably Kohli like. Ruthlessly effective and either loved or hated!

Zinzan

How much of the IPL have you seen? There are often some very, very weak attacks in the IPL. The very nature of the competition and contracts lends itself to huge dimorphism in quality even within a side, ie. 5 or 6 superstars and 2-3 or more ordinary players.

Add that to the fact that the overseas spots seem to go more to batsmen lately than bowlers and you have a lot games with several local Indian bowlers that are very ordinary. In terms of all-round quality I'd say BBL is higher standard, whereas IPL has more superstar players.
Sure you don't want to add an addition 'very' in there? I recorded almost every game of the IPL tournament this year, and from a neutral perspective, I wouldn't say the BBL was higher quality at all, but not surprised to read an Australian would say so.

Anyway, who cares. I wasn't trying to argue against the BBL anyway, just making the point that IPL stats are probably more indicative of a players T20 skills, than T20I records are, since T20I are played so inconsistently & in relatively small samples.