• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why was Murali a really bad bowler in Australia?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
australians always bat like beasts at home i don't care if you're paul collingwood or murali, you ain't getting us out cheaply at home

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More seriously, it's actually an interesting question. I know most people argue that spinners are really bad in Australia, but that only really applies to finger-spinners - Kumble and Mushtaq Ahmed for example had success in Australia, and Murali was a wrist-spinner.

One thing I will point though is that he did not play a Test in Australia between 1998 and 2006, his most dominant period. 2007 onwards he was still a threat at home but struggled quite a lot away from it. And of course in 1995/96 he hadn't really arrived yet.

the big bambino

International Captain
Spinners struggle here but it is a surprise he did much worse than most. Could never get his doosra going here for some peculiar reason ...

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
More seriously, it's actually an interesting question. I know most people argue that spinners are really bad in Australia, but that only really applies to finger-spinners - Kumble and Mushtaq Ahmed for example had success in Australia, and Murali was a wrist-spinner.

One thing I will point though is that he did not play a Test in Australia between 1998 and 2006, his most dominant period. 2007 onwards he was still a threat at home but struggled quite a lot away from it. And of course in 1995/96 he hadn't really arrived yet.
This is a pretty good answer, it is allied to Howe's First Law which states that a player's average in one country is not representative of how he would typically fare under particular conditions.

TheJediBrah

Not many dustbowls in Australia, you have to be a good spinner to take wickets.

Like Warne, MacGill or Nathan Lyon

Daemon

My best guess would be that the nerves of playing in the same country as the University of WA got to him

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Warne's 21st century record in Australia isn't particularly flash either. From memory averages something like 29.

Australia is just the worst place to bowl spin.