• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Question No One Here Would Dare Ask

Slifer

International Captain
The problem with this conversation about India's fast bowling problems compared with Pakistan's fast bowling resources and Pakistan's batting problems compared with India's batting resources is that people think they are the same conversation, or same narrative.

The most untrue narrative in cricket is the fact that somehow these things are connected. I mean these things happen all the time and people are perfectly capable of interpreting them in a rational way e.g Australia came out of England but how come Australia produced O Reilly, Benaud, Warne and MacGill and England produced Salisbury and Schoffields?

No one makes a stupid point like that because they know that these things don't have anything to do with each other. But with India and Pakistan, somehow it has to be part of the same narrative that India don't have fast bowlers and Pakistan do. It's not. Period.
England produced spinners like Underwood, Verity, Laker, and recently Swann. Easily a match for Warne, O'Reilly, Benaud and MacGill

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its also 'formerly' (as in former - the artist formerly known as) not 'formally' (from formal).

Go to PP to get the most entertaining theories.
My ex wife used to say "pacifically" when she meant "specifically". **** I hate her.

cnerd123

likes this
are some of using different definitions of the word meat in this argument i wonder
The simple allegation that India doesn't produce fast bowlers at all is simply untrue. We literally have 2 guys in the squad right now who do that (Yadav and Aaron), and Shami is regularly above 140. Ishant used to click above 140, Bumrah clicks above 140, and Bhuvi is up there too.

Indian quicks who have burst onto the scene capable of bowling 90 mph, off the top of my head, goes as follows: Srinath, Agarkar, Nehra, Zak, Tinu Yohannan, Yo Mahesh, Sreesanth, Munaf Patel. And I'm sure i'm forgetting some (wasn't VRV Singh a thing?)

This issue was never that we can't produce guys who bowl quick, but that all of them inevitably break down and become medium/medium fast swing bowlers again. This is due to our crazy intense international and domestic schedules, the pitches we play on, and just really bad management. Add to this the systematic and cultural issues with our cricket, and you have the real reason why the Wheel Of Mediocrity is a thing and the non-existant Indian Fast Bowler is such a meme.

But ffs dont blame genetics and diet. Thats ****ing dumb. Nehra clocked 90mph at the recent world T20 at like 60 years old. Our genetics and diet are fine.

As for BD fast bowlers - Mortaza, Rubel, and the lesser known Mohammed Sharif (he was rapid but i am not 100% certain he hit 90mph)

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The simple allegation that India doesn't produce fast bowlers at all is simply untrue. We literally have 2 guys in the squad right now who do that (Yadav and Aaron), and Shami is regularly above 140. Ishant used to click above 140, Bumrah clicks above 140, and Bhuvi is up there too.
Reminder unless you bowl 150 you're just a worthless fast-medium.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
England produced spinners like Underwood, Verity, Laker, and recently Swann. Easily a match for Warne, O'Reilly, Benaud and MacGill
I know but if people were being idiotic then they would ask "hey but how come England can't produce legspinners when Australia have so many? And vice versa? Why don't Australia have great off spinners like Laker and Swann? These things are not connected and have nothing to do with each other just like India-Pakistan and fast bowlers have nothing to do with each other.

The only pattern I can find is that when a nation produces a great cricketer, he ends up inspiring a few generations. It's not a coincidence that after Pakistan had Wasim Akram, from the generation that grew up in the 90s we have Amir, Junaid, Rahat, Wahab, Irfan. Never before have Pakistan had so many left arm fast bowlers.
I am sure Benaud had something to do with inspiring Warne and MacGill.

Just like Mohammad Rafique had something to do with the abundance of left arm spinners in Bangladesh.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
also imo those spinners are nowhere near a match for the listed aus spinners. and if you want more vintage you can chuck grimmett in for aus too

Daemon

Indian quicks who have burst onto the scene capable of bowling 90 mph, off the top of my head, goes as follows: Srinath, Agarkar, Nehra, Zak, Tinu Yohannan, Yo Mahesh, Sreesanth, Munaf Patel. And I'm sure i'm forgetting some (wasn't VRV Singh a thing?)

This issue was never that we can't produce guys who bowl quick, but that all of them inevitably break down and become medium/medium fast swing bowlers again. This is due to our crazy intense international and domestic schedules, the pitches we play on, and just really bad management. Add to this the systematic and cultural issues with our cricket, and you have the real reason why the Wheel Of Mediocrity is a thing and the non-existant Indian Fast Bowler is such a meme.

But ffs dont blame genetics and diet. Thats ****ing dumb. Nehra clocked 90mph at the recent world T20 at like 60 years old. Our genetics and diet are fine.

As for BD fast bowlers - Mortaza, Rubel, and the lesser known Mohammed Sharif (he was rapid but i am not 100% certain he hit 90mph)
That's still not a lot. UAE and Afghanistan have guys who bowl that quick too.

Indian food is just too ****ing delicious and our athletes suffer because of it. The only reason why we have so many vegetarians is because Indian vegetarian food is the only cuisine that vegetarians can enjoy (in b4 hendrix). If we had **** food then everyone would eat meat and we'd be ****ing amazing at cricket.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this

Indian food is just too ****ing delicious and our athletes suffer because of it.
The Afghanistan team is basically Pakistani refugees or guys who transitioned from sports like bodybuilding or wrestling. Naturally a lot of them are going to want to be fast bowlers.

UAE people eat the same food we eat in India. I grew up there, trust me I know.

Indian 'athletes' suck because we don't take athletics seriously. The only sport people take seriously is cricket, and grassroots and domestic cricket encourages batsmen, spinners and medium pacers in that order.

I mean ffs, these are Indian athletes too:

Make it rewarding for young indians to become fast bowlers, and you will see a lot more of them.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Indian food is just too ****ing delicious and our athletes suffer because of it. The only reason why we have so many vegetarians is because Indian vegetarian food is the only cuisine that vegetarians can enjoy (in b4 hendrix). If we had **** food then everyone would eat meat and we'd be ****ing amazing at cricket.
This is actually true. I would consider becoming a vegetarian if I were an Indian just for that food

vcs

Desi ghee is the worst though.. foul stuff.

But I'm sure they'll tell you that a teaspoon of it in the morning will cure everything from hair loss to impotence and premature ejaculation.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Desi ghee is the worst though.. foul stuff.

But I'm sure they'll tell you that a teaspoon of it in the morning will cure everything from hair loss to impotence and premature ejaculation.
Trust me, this fascination from ghee persists in Pakistan as well.