• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone not placing Sarfraz in their first XI is losing credibility.

Who is better at 3, Inzi or Younis?

are you trying to be contrarian for the sake of it? Who would lose their place to Sarfraz in a Pak XI? Wasim? Waqar? Imran? Fazal?

watson

Banned
Just checked Zaheer Abbas' stats as a plausible No.3.

He averaged 45 overall, and 40 at No.3. But in his 15 innings against the West Indies he managed only 259 runs at an average of 19.

Not comfortable against pace?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

He averaged 45 overall, and 40 at No.3. But in his 15 innings against the West Indies he managed only 259 runs at an average of 19.

There is some truth there, Hadlee used to eat him for breakfast following his cornflakes.

harsh.ag

Sarfraz would be a lock for the XI if he wasn't a **** keeper.
He is not a **** keeper! Not as good as Latif obvsly, but not bad at all. Some good takes off Yasir, who can be incredibly difficult to keep to.

are you trying to be contrarian for the sake of it? Who would lose their place to Sarfraz in a Pak XI? Wasim? Waqar? Imran? Fazal?
I think he's talking about Sarfraz Ahmed rather than Sarfraz Nawaz.
Yeah, the keeper.

Think he's admitted being scared of going out in the middle against the Windies pacemen quite openly.

harsh.ag

I would just have the following XI:

Hanif
Anwar
Younis
Miandad
Inzi
Misbah
Sarfraz
Imran
Wasim
Saqlain
Waqar

watson

Banned
01. Hanif Mohammad
02. Majid Khan
03. Younis Khan
04. Javed Miandad
05. Inzamam-ul-Haq
06. Mushtaq Mohammad
07. Imran Khan
08. Wasim Akram
09. Wasim Bari
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Abdul Qadir

Majid Khan gets in because he averaged 41 during his 11 Tests against the Windies (1975 to 1981). Few opening batsman have done better against the Windies quicks when they were at their best,

Plus he was a genius anyway, albeit a slightly flawed one.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's a great side, that. I'd have McGrath in for O'Reilly tbh. Two spinners is a **** in Australia, England and SA unless it's crazy dry. Waste of time. He would play on spinning decks though, probably ahead of Davo if I was picking the team. But if you can afford to leave Davo out, you're probably travelling pretty well.
If you play McGrath instead of OReilly, do you leave Miller out and play an extra bat, like Harvey or Ponting? I wouldn't, but some probably would.

Days of Grace

International Captain
01. Hanif Mohammad
02. Majid Khan
03. Younis Khan
04. Javed Miandad
05. Inzamam-ul-Haq
06. Mushtaq Mohammad
07. Imran Khan
08. Wasim Akram
09. Wasim Bari
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Abdul Qadir

Majid Khan gets in because he averaged 41 during his 11 Tests against the Windies (1975 to 1981). Few opening batsman have done better against the Windies quicks when they were at their best,

Sorry, but the inclusion of Fazal can only be for romantic/historical purposes as he was the first great Pakistan bowler. But unless you are playing on matting wickets or green seamers all the time, I think the attack would lack penetration with him in it.

Gob

International Coach
Sorry, but the inclusion of Fazal can only be for romantic/historical purposes as he was the first great Pakistan bowler. But unless you are playing on matting wickets or green seamers all the time, I think the attack would lack penetration with him in it.
Yeah i mean instead of Waqar thats crazy

smash84

The Tiger King
01. Hanif Mohammad
02. Majid Khan
03. Younis Khan
04. Javed Miandad
05. Inzamam-ul-Haq
06. Mushtaq Mohammad
07. Imran Khan
08. Wasim Akram
09. Wasim Bari
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Abdul Qadir

That is a pretty good side if you slot in saqlain for qadir and waqar for fazal

Howe_zat

Audio File
A Spot of Dick

Barry Richards
Mark Richardson
Richie Richardson
Viv Richards
Dick Richardson (c)
Dick Spooner
Richie Benaud
Richard Hadlee
Dick Lilley+
Richard Collinge
Andrew Caddick

Red

Quiet day with the flu. Might do a few national ODI sides for a time killer.

Australia

Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Watson (5)
Ricky Ponting
Mark Waugh
Andrew Symonds (5)
Mike Hussey
Steve Waugh (5)
Mitchell Starc (2)
Shane Warne (4)
Brett Lee (3)
Glenn McGrath (1)

Flexible combo designed to win. Including the Steve Waugh who was a gun ODI bowler, early career. Great death bowler. Starc included on the basis that he is already worthy, and partnering him with McGrath and Lee gives the pace attack everything. Mark Waugh bats out of position to accommodate Watson at the top. M.Waugh, Ponting and Symonds give as good an inner fielding ring as you'd find. Watson, Waugh and Symonds sharing the fifth bowling duties is feasible. Notable omission is Bevan, but I feel Hussey played a similar role with the bat, but was a better hitter, and better fielder.

Red

India

Sachin Tendulkar
Rohit Sharma
Saurav Ganguly
Virat Kohli
MS Dhoni
Yuvraj Singh
Kapil Dev
Ravi Ashwin
Anil Kumble