• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the second best batsman ever. 32 player bracket, Contest Thread!

viriya

International Captain
Then Sobers. Although not as obvious actually.. the bowling in his time wasn't that great.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was very young and very impressionable when I saw Sobers play, so that's not an objective view, but it is sincerely held

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
......... and neither of them were as good as Barry Richards
This is the folly of voting for people as the second best batsman when it's not what you think.

However between these two, it has to be Sobers. The way people talk of Sobers batting is incredible.
Of course the Richards is also lauded, but it sounds more an art form with Sobers

watson

Banned
This is the folly of voting for people as the second best batsman when it's not what you think.

However between these two, it has to be Sobers. The way people talk of Sobers batting is incredible.
Of course the Richards is also lauded, but it sounds more an art form with Sobers
In an era of ruthless pragmatism and professionalism Sobers reminds us that cricket is a game played for fun. That is his appeal I think.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sobers.

But it's very hard to split Sobers, Tendulkar, Richards and Hutton for me.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Viv Richards - I admit though this is bias from having watched more of him. Most of my knowledge of Sobers is the six sixes video and reading about his epic double hundreds where the ball canonned into the boundaries.

My defining reason apart from personal bias is that Viv had a cbf attitude towards many of his innings and had he treated each test match as a must win then he would have averaged 70 over his career.

Shoulda woulda coulda and all that notwithstanding he was the second best based on what I know.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Viv is the best batsman I’ve ever seen. It’s true that for a judgement such as this there’s a lot to count against him. Once he was established in the team he wasn’t prepared to bat forever like Lara. I believe that if he’d played in a side as weak as Lara he would have made more runs simply because he had to. He often wasn’t prepared to play himself in before attempting to dominate the bowler. He even got out to the likes of Devon Malcolm for this reason. His overall stats are “Great” but he doesn’t stand out from the rest of the greats, and indeed is below many of them (and below some not so greats). He should really have averaged 60 plus and the fact that he, to an extent, underachieved is another black mark against him.

Having said all that I’m voting for him anyway, so up yours ugly. :xmas:

Richards.