• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Sri Lanka's best ever cricketer?

Who is Sri Lanka's best ever cricketer?

• Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Kumar Sangakkara

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Mahela Jayawardene

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aravinda De Silva

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Chaminda Vaas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

viriya

International Captain
So you admit it's (WPM) not really an indication of who's best, but more who's great but lacks support from other bowlers?
Hadlee's WPM is partly influenced by lack of support, but not entirely. I rate him above McGrath for example he had a lower SR with less support.

Another thing is, if you have more support, you average goes down cos you don't overbowl. So Hadlee's average is higher than it would be if he replaced McGrath on the Aussie team for example.

Last edited:
Hadlee's WPM is partly influenced by lack of support, but not entirely. I rate him above McGrath for example he had a lower SR with less support.

Another thing is, if you have more support, you average goes down cos you don't overbowl. So Hadlee's average is higher than it would be if he replaced McGrath on the Aussie team for example.
Also any and every batsman is more likely to be dismissed in the first 20 deliveries faced, so if there are wickets falling at the other end of the pitch then SR and bowling average will decrease accordingly, as there is more opportunity to bowl to new batsmen. This is what makes Hadlee's efforts even more impressive as against his West Indian contemporaries.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Easily Sanga

Murali has the statistical edge, but he genuinely had an unfair advantage over every other player (whether it was "cheating" or just a genetic abnormality which allowed him to get away with it is irrelevant).
Such a rubbish post.

Edit: I realise this has probably been said many times, but I honestly cbf reading the thread past this.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In the average of 19 you consider for Murali viriya, what is the average when you remove performances v Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, which were terrible teams at the time?

smash84

The Tiger King
The really big holes in Murali's resume are probably his record against the best team of the time and the best spin playing team of his time. His record is fantastic in other respects.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
20.87. But that's like removing 10 tests from Bradman's record because India and SA were minnows and he averaged 190+ vs them.
For the sake of analysis, it has to be done for Murali. You cannot ignore it. So when you compare him with bowlers like McGrath and Hadlee and Lillee stating the average of 19, keep this in mind. Murali was a great but this is the worse line to show his greatness - that he averaged 19 for x period.

I mentioned O'Reilly yesterday. There is no way you can say Murali was greater than an O'Reilly or a McGrath or a Lillee conclusively. They are all greats in their own rights. Don't throw stats at me. Prove it with logic if you can and I might want to pay attention. What made Murali more dangerous than O'Reilly for example.

Also, for the record, the most lethal bowler for a period of time was possibly Waqar and not Murali. Waqar too 180plus wickets at 18.5 between 1990 and 1994. If you remove Zimbabwe, it is still 157 wickets at 19.30. Also, there have been people with better stats like Imran for a period but people who saw Waqar at the time widely acknowledge how devastating he was at the time. As I have mentioned million times, if you want people to take your points seriously, give explanations, not stats. Else it feels like a robotic or machine like interaction.

smash84

The Tiger King
For the sake of analysis, it has to be done for Murali. You cannot ignore it. So when you compare him with bowlers like McGrath and Hadlee and Lillee stating the average of 19, keep this in mind. Murali was a great but this is the worse line to show his greatness - that he averaged 19 for x period.

I mentioned O'Reilly yesterday. There is no way you can say Murali was greater than an O'Reilly or a McGrath or a Lillee conclusively. They are all greats in their own rights. Don't throw stats at me. Prove it with logic if you can and I might want to pay attention. What made Murali more dangerous than O'Reilly for example.

Also, for the record, the most lethal bowler for a period of time was possibly Waqar and not Murali. Waqar too 180plus wickets at 18.5 between 1990 and 1994. If you remove Zimbabwe, it is still 157 wickets at 19.30. Also, there have been people with better stats like Imran for a period but people who saw Waqar at the time widely acknowledge how devastating he was at the time. As I have mentioned million times, if you want people to take your points seriously, give explanations, not stats. Else it feels like a robotic or machine like interaction.
Imran, not Waqar has the greatest post ww 2 peak of any bowler. Something like 150 wickets at 14 or something ridiculous like that. Also from 1980-1988 236 wickets at an average of little over 17 and a half.

From 1980 to 88 Imran has a better avg and sr than hadlee or marshall. So if you are a stats guy you might want to check this out :p. Does make for compulsive reading

Stats analysis: Imran Khan | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Imran, not Waqar has the greatest post ww 2 peak of any bowler. Something like 150 wickets at 14 or something ridiculous like that. Also from 1980-1988 236 wickets at an average of little over 17 and a half.

From 1980 to 88 Imran has a better avg and sr than hadlee or marshall. So if you are a stats guy you might want to check this out :p. Does make for compulsive reading

Stats analysis: Imran Khan | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Took 118 wickets in Pakistan @ 14.36 per wicket. 38 of those wickets were lbws. In the era of notorious home umpiring, I will take this record with an asterik.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cant believe how snarky some people are with their opinions on this board. would you rather it be a collective hivemind

smash84

The Tiger King
Took 118 wickets in Pakistan @ 14.36 per wicket. 38 of those wickets were lbws. In the era of notorious home umpiring, I will take this record with an asterik.
I would be very surprised if all 38 of those lbws were missing the stumps

smash84

The Tiger King
btw, where did you get the figure of 38 lbws at home? I am getting 26 at home

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...e=results;type=bowling;view=dismissal_summary

When I put both home and away, then I get 37 lbws from early 1980 to mid 1983

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...e=results;type=bowling;view=dismissal_summary

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hadlee had his fair share of home umpiring too. Not to mention the Aussies and the West Indies.

If you want to put an asterisk on it you're better off saying that it was the first time anyone had seen reverse swing.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also, are we adding LBWs not given by English and Indian umpires? frankly ridiculous post from Pratters.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hadlee had his fair share of home umpiring too. Not to mention the Aussies and the West Indies.

If you want to put an asterisk on it you're better off saying that it was the first time anyone had seen reverse swing.
Home umpiring was ridiculous in that time, yes. However, Imran's stats are just ridiculous. Particularly as it's 13.5 at home and 21.1 away.