• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Has me wondering if 3 is a spot too high away from home. Or at least when there's movement around.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Has me wondering if 3 is a spot too high away from home. Or at least when there's movement around.
I think you're being a bit harsh on him. English bowlers in English conditions are a tough nut to crack. I am sure his series average is still healthy.

I don't see anyone else being able to go number 3. The only other person I could potentially put there is Clarke in an effort to make him sink or swim.

What I came in here to post about was Rod Marsh's interview. He said the process of picking the team for the last test was a complex one and that he had consulted far and wide and although he had some regrets with his choices e.g. Siddle etc was largely happy with his processes of making the decisions.

Why is he consulting far and wide? You are a storied and seasoned test match player. You have a selection committee and a captain. Discuss with them. Too many opinions weighing him down.

I wouldn't have picked Siddle either - but just didn't like his interview.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The other selectors aren't there with him. He contacted them overseas, hence far and wide.

aussie tragic

International Captain
And Smith not proving you wrong with a 6 ball duck vs Northants. I'd put Watto at #3

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Watson
4. Smith
5. Clarke
6. Voges/Smarsh

Flametree

International 12th Man
It's a grim scorecard for the Australians, but Cummins gets 3 wickets and Siddle none, MMarsh 4 wickets and Watson none, now Watson lbw cheaply again, MMarsh doing better... I think the selectors will have an easier job this time around...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone else been disappointed in Smiths innings since Lords? We really needed him to standup but played some loose shots. I can see how maybe conditions caught him out at Edgbaston but TB shouldn't have been a surprise. Maybe his great form for the last year has upped my expectations but we just needed an innings of maturity and that plus match awareness were lacking.
I haven't been disappointed.

91Jmay

International Coach
Smith got a blob against a bloke who doesn't move it off the straight (although he is quick tbf), not a great sign.

grecian

It's always tough facing Northants second sting bowling attack though, said no-one ever.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I keep forgetting this Test is a thing. For a split second I even wondered why they were playing a three-day warmup before the one dayers.

It's weird too because I'll win a lot of money if it's a draw (bet on England 3-1 as the series score before it started) so I should be invested. It's just such a meh.

Last edited:

Camo999

State 12th Man
What's going on there? Seems like Cummins smashing the ball everywhere, gets to 82* and Smith declares and the match is over. Surely worth playing a few more overs to see if he can get a ton?

social

Ok so it's only a pretty ordinary county lineup but is anyone really surprised that Cummins has stood up when virtually everyone else bar Marsh has failed? #pleasedontbreakhim