• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at Edgbaston

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Interestingly the Gillespie article for the guardian suggests they haven't worked technically with Bairstow since he played his last test for England.

Jonny Bairstow is good enough for the Ashes but be brave and back him | Sport | The Guardian

'So we made a pact: the Yorkshire coaches – myself included – agreed we would not speak to him about his method and instead judge him solely on his returns. This would be our only feedback. No longer would he have support staff stopping him every second ball in the nets, telling him to change his grip, stance, backlift or alignment. Instead, the only advice would be when he sought it and based solely on his gameplan for any given day. Sure, we still discuss conditions and what his approach for an innings will be, but in the 18 months that have followed his technique has not been brought up.'

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Bairstow has the talent, but he bats 5 I assume so Bell 3, Root 4. Not sure I like moving Root. He is the form horse though, nothing more he could have done.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's definitely the way I'm leaning
Yeah I am just about happy with the Selvey lineup there, Stokes is easily the biggest plus of this summer so far, his batting so much further on than I thought it was.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Warne's answer is to drop Ballance for Rashid, who bats at 8, bumping everyone from 4-8 up one. That will certainly help the batting :unsure:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
KP moaning on Twitter that he's not in contention. Lolz
Look, he's got a point, but the England management have made their bed and as much as I disagree with what they've done, the best thing really is to thank KP for the memories and move on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I am just about happy with the Selvey lineup there, Stokes is easily the biggest plus of this summer so far, his batting so much further on than I thought it was.
Yep, defo think Stokes could bat higher, as long as we continue to play four seamers (ie **** off warne)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
At least Bell at 3 would mean we'd get the disappointment from his inevitable tame dismissal out the way quicker.

91Jmay

International Coach
Bell at 3 and tell him to counter attack. It's a gamble, but if it comes off we have a decent platform and the Aussies on the back foot. If it doesn't come off we are in the same position. I don't see many other options to be honest.

Compton

International Debutant
No idea why anyone would advocate calling up Bairstow over Taylor. Taylor is a much, much better batsman.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bell at 3 and tell him to counter attack. It's a gamble, but if it comes off we have a decent platform and the Aussies on the back foot. If it doesn't come off we are in the same position. I don't see many other options to be honest.
Just let him bat however he likes.

91Jmay

International Coach
No idea why anyone would advocate calling up Bairstow over Taylor. Taylor is a much, much better batsman.
I'm torn there, Taylor: I rate and he shouldn't have been dropped (he has been treated poorly by England in my opinion ) but Bairstow is in rare touch.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Really don't see much point in moving Stokes above 6. He's someone who can bat well with the tail since he scores quickly, and also counterattack from a poor position, and seems okay starting against the old ball, but he has looked a bit shaky at the start of his innings and might not be a great choice to come in early on a regular basis. 6 isn't a position every batsman is at their best in, no reason to mess with a good thing. I'd look to maybe move Root to 4 to protect one of the weaker batsmen, and put Bairstow in at 5 if he gets brought in for Ballance. Or Taylor if they go that way. Or you could put the new guy at 4, but I think Root at 4 in the long term is probably a bit better for the team.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Far too much weighting being given to "form" here imo. Someone needs to dig Pickup's post about it from years ago.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Far too much weighting being given to "form" here imo. Someone needs to dig Pickup's post about it from years ago.
"Form" doesn't necessarily mean much but equally I think people have a tendency to write off batsmen based on past performances when there's evidence they may have improved. Bairstow is what, 25? A lot of highly successful international batsmen have poor periods early in their career and look to have been found out in one way or another and come back a while later with a much better idea of how to play to their strengths. Sometimes it's a technique overhaul like Clarke and sometimes its just experience etc. If Bairstow is making a ton of runs and there's clear opportunities to bring him in for an underperforming player, he's worth another shot IMO. If he was 35 or this had happened several times in the past it might be a bit different.

I think form not mattering applies more when a player is a known quantity. Weight of runs in domestic cricket could be evidence that someone is legitimately better than before.