• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Even for Ronchi, it just felt wrong with Latham just gone and him trying to plonk every thing. His approach meant that he got 80+ runs, but you would think that eliminating a bit of risk would get you a few more. The shot he got out to, there were 2 mis hits just before that he could have got out to as well.. Not very good to see.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry, I don't care what the approach is, unless you're declaring in the next 10 minutes, hitting a length ball loosener straight down mid-off's throat first ball after tea is just dumb... McCullum has scored two doubles and a triple batting "properly" not so long ago, so I just don't get the "40 off 30 and out playing a stupid shot" thing. It's not what a test number 5 should be doing. I appreciate that putting the bowlers under pressure is good, and in a match likely to be shortened by rain there's a case to err on the side of aggression... but if McCullum is at the crease runs will come, he puts the bad ball away as well as anyone, he doesn't need to swing at everything.
Yeah, but smashing looseners is putting the bad balls away. I've got no problem with that approach. Another day it would've gone for 4 and we'd be 350/6.

Niall

International Coach
Yeah, nothing wrong about been positive, but a difference between that and all out reckless. A big score for both Ronchi and Bmac was waiting for them and neither went big enough to really hurt England.. A shame,

Southee needs to show up tomorrow, done sweet **** all since that match against England in the world cup.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Even for Ronchi, it just felt wrong with Latham just gone and him trying to plonk every thing. His approach meant that he got 80+ runs, but you would think that eliminating a bit of risk would get you a few more. The shot he got out to, there were 2 mis hits just before that he could have got out to as well.. Not very good to see.
Ronchi is a pinch hitter. He knows no other way. He's basically a slightly better Southee.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, I don't care what the approach is, unless you're declaring in the next 10 minutes, hitting a length ball loosener straight down mid-off's throat first ball after tea is just dumb... McCullum has scored two doubles and a triple batting "properly" not so long ago, so I just don't get the "40 off 30 and out playing a stupid shot" thing. It's not what a test number 5 should be doing. I appreciate that putting the bowlers under pressure is good, and in a match likely to be shortened by rain there's a case to err on the side of aggression... but if McCullum is at the crease runs will come, he puts the bad ball away as well as anyone, he doesn't need to swing at everything.
I don't claim to be any expert on McCullums career, but if you're counting the 200 he scored against Pakistan last year then there was nothing "proper" about that innings. IIRC it was the test during which Phillip Hughes died and it was the most "I don't give a **** and don't want to be here" knock you'll ever see.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'm not liking the direction this nz team seams to be heading.

Seems we're reverting back to the Fleming/Cairns/McMillan years with our batting.

Too much cricle jerking over their aggression in the World Cup, need to get the batting cake to icing ratio back to 2014 levels.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
What a strange day of cricket. Went to bed at tea and woke up to find McCullum didn't add much to his score and Ronchi has the top score? wtf?

Hopefully Craig will ton up with a nice support 50 from Henry and we roll England for 150 twice, win by an innings.

harsh.ag

Taylor's reducing influence on the batting philosophy of the team is apparent. Maybe him getting back into form will make the others more responsible. KW is brilliant but he is too young and seen as too much of a freak talent for others to emulate. Latham is the other cake, but he is such a newbie.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yeah, nothing wrong about been positive, but a difference between that and all out reckless. A big score for both Ronchi and Bmac was waiting for them and neither went big enough to really hurt England.. A shame,

Southee needs to show up tomorrow, done sweet **** all since that match against England in the world cup.
There's plenty of times where it's fair to criticise McCullums shot selection but he was trying to pump a half volley to the fence and got the execution wrong. It happens.

Flem274*

123/5
Hesson just spoke on radio about the importance of not dying in a hole when there's inconsistent bounce. With the swing, seam and dubious bounce he said one will have your number so hurt them while you can and change their lengths

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
On the first delivery of a new session.
A half volley is a half volley. McCullum produces the best results when he doesn't think in half measures. He's either full out stonewall ala 300 or full out attack. I don't think he has the defensive game to stonewall against the english so his plan is to get 'em while he can,

harsh.ag

A half volley is a half volley. McCullum produces the best results when he doesn't think in half measures. He's either full out stonewall ala 300 or full out attack. I don't think he has the defensive game to stonewall against the english so his plan is to get 'em while he can,
Okay, so legitimate question, why is he in the side if he knows he doesn't have what it takes to succeed in England?

Flem274*

123/5
Oh come on!
yeah that lst part is a ridiculous call, and im the most biased watling fan on the internet barring his mum.

ronchi is the archetypical plunket engine room cricketer and he's also the best at that role (Munro his only rival). he and Lord Colin don't have the all round game Watling has and they can't play "like batsmen" but Ronchi is really really good at what he does and this is the second time he's done this to world class bowlers in tricky conditions with his team under the pump and he's had limited opportunities to show it.

Flem274*

123/5
Okay, so legitimate question, why is he in the side if he knows he doesn't have what it takes to succeed in England?
because he has what it takes to succeed in england and made good contributions on previous tours even when he was a keeper batsman?