• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Boult's was the worst. Jeetan got (rightly) pillared in SA for backing away but Trent isn't much better. And the observant amongst us might've seen Southee give Broad a send-off for backing away, which is fairly rich coming from a guy who's never shown a lot of ticker with the bat - and also bowled like a drain this week past the new ball.

If we lose this series, it'll be a dog fight to try and get ourselves above 6th/7th/8th for a fair while. Australia twice in a summer, then SA twice in a year with India away sandwiched in between.
Yeah potentially tough times ahead. But I don't think we should too worked up about the rankings for a while. In the last couple of years NZ have drawn with Pakistan away, beaten Windies home and away, and beaten SL at home and drawn away, so we can be satisfied they've pretty much held their own among those sides. Might as well sit back and enjoy the contests against Aus and the Saffers since they don't come around too often, and hope NZ give a good account of themselves.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm pretty sure McCullum's been in Southee's ear telling him to just focus on his bowling and swing from the hip when at the crease. Unfortunately he's forgotten that in order to earn the right to be agressive with the bat he needs to take wickets first.
hehe

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah potentially tough times ahead. But I don't think we should too worked up about the rankings for a while. In the last couple of years NZ have drawn with Pakistan away, beaten Windies home and away, and beaten SL at home and drawn away, so we can be satisfied they've pretty much held their own among those sides. Might as well sit back and enjoy the contests against Aus and the Saffers since they don't come around too often, and hope NZ give a good account of themselves.
Definitely agree, but you know the general public and rankings. The wave we've been riding might crash pretty quickly if we're not winning series and being up the rankings, no matter what style of cricket we play.

We'd have to take a big scalp along the way, which we need to get a lot better in order to do.

I dunno, just a lot of things this week really annoyed me. Not being ruthless enough to score 600 first time around, our inability to build pressure with a slightly older ball, our tail's feeble effort today, and seemingly this mindset of 'positivity' has got us to where we are today, so we're going to keep playing that way no matter what the situation. Great sides are adaptable.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Boult's was the worst. Jeetan got (rightly) pillared in SA for backing away but Trent isn't much better. And the observant amongst us might've seen Southee give Broad a send-off for backing away, which is fairly rich coming from a guy who's never shown a lot of ticker with the bat - and also bowled like a drain this week past the new ball.

If we lose this series, it'll be a dog fight to try and get ourselves above 6th/7th/8th for a fair while. Australia twice in a summer, then SA twice in a year with India away sandwiched in between.
Boult has till recently shown alot of ticker at the crease. Did last time we were here, similarly the 50 he scored vs Bangladesh and trying to save the 1st test vs Pakistan. It has to be mental preparation / playing lots of LO cricket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Boult has till recently shown alot of ticker at the crease. Did last time we were here, similarly the 50 he scored vs Bangladesh and trying to save the 1st test vs Pakistan. It has to be mental preparation / playing lots of LO cricket.
I think Boult is honestly just a little scared of fast bowling which is why he backs away and swings: fight and/or flight. The innings against Bangladesh and Pakistan were compiled primarily against spinners and medium pacers were there was no fear.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So you'd be happy to basically be "the best of the rest" in a period when people are saying this is NZ's best side for ages? For me NZ need to justify the hype they've they've been getting recently by beating one of those teams in a series. Drawing with the likes of Pakistan shouldn't be lauded either tbh because even Zimbabwe managed that.

cnerd123

likes this
So you'd be happy to basically be "the best of the rest" in a period when people are saying this is NZ's best side for ages? For me NZ need to justify the hype they've they've been getting recently by beating one of those teams in a series. Drawing with the likes of Pakistan shouldn't be lauded either tbh because even Zimbabwe managed that.
Why are you still posting

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Boult is honestly just a little scared of fast bowling which is why he backs away and swings: fight and/or flight. The innings against Bangladesh and Pakistan were compiled primarily against spinners and medium pacers were there was no fear.
Exactly. These guys are professionals, really no excuse for not becoming more battle-hardened in the nets.

Athlai

Not Terrible
We aren't better than Australia or South Africa simply because this is the best NZ side ever. Thats not how it works.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wow, what a Test! One the best I've watched live, and thankful my data was sitting on 99.92% otherwise I would've actually watched the embarrassment that was NZ's fifth day.

It was a pretty even Test for the first 4 days and we finished off the tail quite well on the start of day 5 it seemed, but with NZ there is generally a danger of collapse when it comes to 4th innings, and I hoped we might have put that ghost away but in cricket very rarely does something not come back to haunt you like that. Full credit to England's bowlers for just blowing us away. It was one of the best fightbacks I've seen in Tests, and while we didn't 'drive home the advantage' when we were up at various points, this slightly undersells how great Root, Stokes & 2nd innings Cook were with the bat, and particular Stuart Broad with the ball. Will say now Ali is more effective than Craig, even if he has less 'tools' in his spin armoury, with the latter looking decidedly Bruce Martin-esque. I hope he comes back well in the 2nd match and this was mostly nerves but it's possible he's simply found out.

Looks like awful batting from our tail and same as always from our openers. Watling is a god, and why is our tail shunning the great strength that we used to have in frustrating opposition by making a lot of runs from 8 downwards? Turgid effort.

As mentioned, great match. Looking forward to the next immensely and hoping we tighten it up when it comes to our bowling post-new ball and the batting outside of Kane and Watling (if he plays :()

Composite XI of the match:

1. Latham
2. Cook
3. Williamson
4. Watling
5. Root
6. Stokes
7. Buttler+
8. Ali
9. Henry/Wood
10. Broad
11. Boult

Latham gets the openers spot mostly because I thought he batted nicely and the fact he ended up keeping for like what 95% of NZ's bowling innings he deserved some recognition - and didn't think he was far off Buttler's performance with the gloves. Cook, Williamson, Root and Stokes pretty obvious, and while Taylor scored an okay 50 Watling deserves to be in there somewhere for batting and overall he did better than both number 4s. Buttler's counter-attacking 50 on day 1 was more key than I first thought (he came in 5-191 remember) so he deserves to be in for that. Ali the better spinner on display and contributed vital runs. Henry had a gun first innings and 6 wickets overall. Thought Wood bowled pretty well and grabbed twice as many wickets as Anderson who otherwise bowled alright (but completely tired). Broad hit his straps and Boult was leading wicket taker and quite economical in the face of carnage, even if some of his spells were pretty terrible in their line and length. Without a doubt our best bowler atm.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
oh yay you're still here.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I was going to counter with the innings he played at leeds with wagner but checked he actually just faced swann the whole time until he got out to Jimmy
so very good point.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
We aren't better than Australia or South Africa simply because this is the best NZ side ever. Thats not how it works.
Not saying it does work like that but if a team is unbeaten in two years and get to 3rd in the rankings why shouldn't they be aiming to win?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's interesting, because I think we are overhyped to some extent, and that's entirely our own fault. very rarely have we had a consistently fit new ball partnership that has been winning Test matches for us like they have, so I think we're all pretty excited. But like you say, because this is possibly our best side ever, doesn't make them automatically better than other teams. We still have work to do as this Test shows - just as conceding a match to WI (who were better in that test) and conceding one to Pakistan shows (who were also better in that test). We're not unquestionably the number 3 side to the world, but we have some legitimate claims to it, which needs to be proven. I think England in England is harder than most people might think, up there with SA, Aus and India at home, so as one of the hurdles to try and claim number 1 spot, we've not cleared it but we're still running. Thankfully we have a young side so it's not we can't get better from here either.

A good come down for us.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not saying it does work like that but if a team is unbeaten in two years and get to 3rd in the rankings why shouldn't they be aiming to win?
They will, and we'll want them too. But what a player and a fan wants, and what actual analysis indicates is likely to be true, aren't the same thing.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Kinda serious. Look at how we performed in the uae compared to nz. We still have massive deficiencies in our batting.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Kinda serious. Look at how we performed in the uae compared to nz. We still have massive deficiencies in our batting.
Yeah, but that's because NZ approached the series in a more intelligent fashion, not because they're the better team. We pitched the ball fuller, batted more sensibly and didn't make panicked changes with little/no reason behind them. Australia just tried the exact same approach that had worked for them in Aus and SA in completely different conditions, and unsurprisingly it didn't work out so well. Maybe that makes NZ a more flexible team than Aus, but it doesn't make them a better one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Thanks.

Fmd if eng win this it's all time great win material.
And they did! Deadset Cook's knock is an epic, and this is one of the best England home wins for a while. Definitely the best outside of an Ashes for a long time imo.