• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

24th Match - Ireland v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Roussou is a handy player to have lower down. Can take singles any where and hit fours too. Busy useful player.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesus, poor old Kev O'Brien getting slaughtered here. Five overs for 70 plus. Wow

viriya

International Captain
Teams really need to bowl more spinners in the death overs.. it's higher risk, but more often than not you can go for ~6/over.. with pace on the ball it's impossible to restrict the batsmen to <8/over.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Teams really need to bowl more spinners in the death overs.. it's higher risk, but more often than not you can go for ~6/over.. with pace on the ball it's impossible to restrict the batsmen to <8/over.
Good spinners are difficult to put over the boundaries on bigger grounds like in AustralAustralia as well..

Burgey

Is anyone else, dare I say it, actually enjoying Mark Nicholas' stint on commentary here? Nowhere near the usual level of false hype and is actually analysing the game a bit.

In other news, I'll never understand blokes not batting in full spikes. Ridiculous.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Woke up, checked score. Saw Saffa had 299 and thought ooooh well done Ireland, good shizzle. Then realised there were nine overs left

OverratedSanity

Is anyone else, dare I say it, actually enjoying Mark Nicholas' stint on commentary here? Nowhere near the usual level of false hype and is actually analysing the game a bit.
It's Indian and Australian players' backsides he kisses to an unbearable degree. When those two teams aren't involved he's usually tolerable.

Burgey

Miller understandably cops a fair bit of stick, but he's a very handy bloke to come in with 10 or so overs to go.

viriya

International Captain
The real question is if SA can do something close to this in the knock-outs batting first.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Viriya, SA can get 350 plus in knock outs. Not all 6 bowlers of the teams are 'great' bowlers per say. South Africans have really good test batsmen in their line up, to face the difficult bowlers without getting out possibly.

I will add another thing - many teams have scored 300 plus batting first and the other teams haven't been able to chase them batting second. However, a lot of the times, the team batting second were minnows. I am thinking that come the quarters, you would want to get 300 on the board. Below that, you wouldn't really feel that safe. 330 is the new 300 imo.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Seriously though, this is starting to get ridiculous. While I don't think the bowling has been that amazing I really don't think such high scores should be such common occurances. It's been getting kinda boring frankly.

I really do think the regulations have made it this way. Forget about bat sizes, less fielders in the outfield give bowlers such a low margin of error and while the two new balls might be great early on what it seems to have done is just make the ball hard enough yet not do enough for bowlers to effectively restrict batsmen.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Seriously though, this is starting to get ridiculous. While I don't think the bowling has been that amazing I really don't think such high scores should be such common occurances. It's been getting kinda boring frankly.

I really do think the regulations have made it this way. Forget about bat sizes, less fielders in the outfield give bowlers such a low margin of error and while the two new balls might be great early on what it seems to have done is just make the ball hard enough yet not do enough for bowlers to effectively restrict batsmen.
but everything would be solved if everyone just listened to the commentators and bowled more yorkers!

Antihippy

International Debutant
While I actually do agree that the yorker should be used more, another thing the two new balls took away from us is the reverse swinging yorker at the death (though I actually do still see it happen sometime). If the yorker is just going straight there's very little room for error if you just miss your length.

There should be more yorkers though, because slower ball bouncers is an even worse alternative. Just have to know how to mix it up.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The problem with yorkers is that it's not a single spot on the pitch which you can practise aiming at - it largely depends on how the batsmen plays the ball. Good batsmen rarely get yorked not necessarily because the bowler is bad but because they see it coming and adjust their position in the crease and their batswing so they can still hit the ball cleanly. Jos Buttler is a brilliant exponent of this.