• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20th Match - New Zealand v Australia

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If they were practicing primarily hitting sixes because of the short straight boundary and neglecting working on swing as Clarke says then that is pretty much the definition of complacency, particularly given what happened to England last week. There is a certain arrogance inherent in the sort of thinking that leads to that happening.
Whether or not that's true (and I somewhat doubt it, they can't have watched Southee's 7-for and not considered practicing defending against the swinging ball), I don't think blokes like Finch, Maxwell et al are going to develop a defensive game overnight so I don't see how it helps.

Spark

Global Moderator
Whether or not that's true (and I somewhat doubt it, they can't have watched Southee's 7-for and not considered practicing defending against the swinging ball), I don't think blokes like Finch, Maxwell et al are going to develop a defensive game overnight so I don't see how it helps.
That's what Clarke said, so y'know. And whilst that's true, I'd say only Finch, Warner, Marsh and Smith get off on that regard -- after what Maxwell did in the tri-series final I don't give him that excuse, not to mention Watson and Clarke

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
This is not a shot at NZ!

BUT explain to me how a "fair" contest between bat and ball involves 45m boundaries, fielding restrictions and calling wides a millimetre outside the tram lines when the batsman has backed away 2 feet before the ball is delivered

I didn't watch much of the Oz innings (only saw the "highlights") but when McCullum can outside edge a cover drive for 6 over 3rd man, there is something very wrong with the balance of the game
Can you tell me when the bolded bit happened? Because I was at the game and I don't remember it. McCullum hit a 6 over point, and the square boundaries at EP aren't even unusually short- it's the nature of the ground with the pitch going the "wrong way" that the square boundaries are a fair length.

That 6 went many metres over the boundary and was a totally normal McCullum shot that he plays all around the world. If it was at Adelaide it goes 10 metres into the crowd.

Also, I know this is obvious, but the "45 metre boundaries" thing is intellectually dishonest and you know it. It's a 65 metre hit down the ground. Top edges have been regularly going for 6 at grounds around the world for years now- even the vaunted MCG is known for having relatively shorter straight boundaries (with the ropes in). With modern fast outfields and bats, leg glances and knicks over slips go for 4 everywhere. They just get there a bit faster at Eden Park.

I know it makes a bit of a difference- miss-hits which would be caught in the deep elsewhere carry for 6. But the difference between a moderately well-hit attempted straight 6 and a perfectly-hit attempted straight 6 is nowhere near as influential on a game of cricket as people make out. The genuine miss-hit gets caught on the 30-metre circle the same as anywhere else.

Out of interest btw, how long are the EP straight boundaries compared to other straight boundaries around the world- especially with the rope in? EP is a 65 metre straight hit, and I reckon the 'Gabba or MCG with ropes in are no more than 80m? And grounds like Hamilton probably 70-75m?

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Top edges have flown for six over 3rd man for a long, long time at many grounds, but that didn't happen in this game.

Plenty of top edges go straight back over the keepers head which would never be caught anyway.

The boundary size didn't have an effect on this game.

thierry henry

International Coach
So I guess I should give my report from my day at the cricket because I know my fans are baying for it.

I was in the South Stand, the closest available seats to the left of the sight-screen and immediately in front of the scorers. I was basically in line with the 6 Finch hit to the other side of the sight-screen, but unfortunately no-one hit one that far back on my side, as I had the Tui shirt on and was totally confident of earning the $$$.

Without a doubt it was the greatest day of cricket I ever have or ever will attend- but we all expected that, didn't we? Perfect weather, packed house, feverish support from ball 1. Unfortunately for me, I'm such a sour **** I couldn't possibly enjoy it. As soon as Taylor got out I was death-riding us all innings and it basically felt like my worst nightmares were coming true. I've never had the feeling of watching a bowler (Starc) coming in to bowl, and having the perfect view right behind him, and basically KNOWING he was about to clean bowl some poor ****- and it happening, time and again, with those ****ing bails flashing every time.

I had the foresight to go with my absolutely cricket-hating American GF, which turned out to be a godsend. I spent the dying stages head down, muttering "I knew it, we're going to ****ing lose, do you realise this is literally the worst moment possible in my entire sporting life, do you realise this is worse than any nightmare I could possibly have? Do you realise we are definitely going to lose? YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND". She just kept patting me on the head and telling me it was ok, we were going to win. And we did. And I was really happy.

So basically it was the greatest day of my life and the worst day of my life and I'm totally emotionally rekt.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Top edges have flown for six over 3rd man for a long, long time at many grounds, but that didn't happen in this game.

Plenty of top edges go straight back over the keepers head which would never be caught anyway.

The boundary size didn't have an effect on this game.
Exactly.

The straight boundaries are short- the shortest anywhere. They are too short, but at the same time they generally have a very small impact on the game. Even in games where it's raining sixes, how many typically fall into that 10m window of "it wouldn't have been a 6 anywhere else"?

What pisses me off is people using the boundaries to explain away shots that would've been 6s anywhere, square hits to boundaries that aren't even short, or phenomena that are common in cricket now, like top-edged 6s or effortless straight 6s.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha I had no idea you were actually at the game while sending me Facebook messages about dem haters. Top work. Gun post too.

thierry henry

International Coach
Haha I had no idea you were actually at the game while sending me Facebook messages about dem haters. Top work. Gun post too.
Yeah and I was sat basically straight behind the batsmen/facing Boulty head-on steaming in. It was like he was coming right at me, delivering a message to the haterz.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I had the foresight to go with my absolutely cricket-hating American GF, which turned out to be a godsend. I spent the dying stages head down, muttering "I knew it, we're going to ****ing lose, do you realise this is literally the worst moment possible in my entire sporting life, do you realise this is worse than any nightmare I could possibly have? Do you realise we are definitely going to lose? YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND". She just kept patting me on the head and telling me it was ok, we were going to win. And we did. And I was really happy.
Sounds like good news on the "Girl Trouble" front at least. Everything's coming up Thierry Henry. :thumbsup:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watched the replay again & as brilliant as Starc's yorkers were towards the end, holy *** Milne & Southee played them terribly. I know they're number's 9 & 10, but why the *** were they trying to play expansive drives as opposed to just trying to stay low in defense and trying to dead-bat it?

Especially Tim Southee. It was almost as if Southee was the only person at the ground who didn't realise Starc was going to bowl the yorker. And even though Starc missed the yorker length in his 2 deliveries to Boult, at least Boult stayed 'nice and low' in defense which makes me think he may have been able to keep it out. Who knows for sure? but at least he gave himself a chance.

I'm not for a moment suggesting it's easy keeping out Starc's yorkers, especially for tailenders, but Milne & Southee didn't even give themselves a chance.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Oh & additionally, surely Southee would do well to review his ridiculously high bat-lift next time he's facing the prospect of a 150km yorker 1st ball ...

Rant over.. (for now)

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
So I guess I should give my report from my day at the cricket because I know my fans are baying for it.

I was in the South Stand, the closest available seats to the left of the sight-screen and immediately in front of the scorers. I was basically in line with the 6 Finch hit to the other side of the sight-screen, but unfortunately no-one hit one that far back on my side, as I had the Tui shirt on and was totally confident of earning the $$$.

Without a doubt it was the greatest day of cricket I ever have or ever will attend- but we all expected that, didn't we? Perfect weather, packed house, feverish support from ball 1. Unfortunately for me, I'm such a sour **** I couldn't possibly enjoy it. As soon as Taylor got out I was death-riding us all innings and it basically felt like my worst nightmares were coming true. I've never had the feeling of watching a bowler (Starc) coming in to bowl, and having the perfect view right behind him, and basically KNOWING he was about to clean bowl some poor ****- and it happening, time and again, with those ****ing bails flashing every time.

So basically it was the greatest day of my life and the worst day of my life and I'm totally emotionally rekt.
Hahaha that was exactly the same between me and my wife. Good to have some naive female support.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
Just watched the replay again & as brilliant as Starc's yorkers were towards the end, holy *** Milne & Southee played them terribly. I know they're number's 9 & 10, but why the *** were they trying to play expansive drives as opposed to just trying to stay low in defense and trying to dead-bat it?

Especially Tim Southee. It was almost as if Southee was the only person at the ground who didn't realise Starc was going to bowl the yorker. And even though Starc missed the yorker length in his 2 deliveries to Boult, at least Boult stayed 'nice and low' in defense which makes me think he may have been able to keep it out. Who knows for sure? but at least he gave himself a chance.

I'm not for a moment suggesting it's easy keeping out Starc's yorkers, especially for tailenders, but Milne & Southee didn't even give themselves a chance.
I think Clarke brought almost every fielder behind Milne and Southee, so kinda like telling them that "you drive forward then you win" so they did and lost. They definitely look like people who back themselves, so a good reality check and experience for them. Vettori's dismissal is very disappointing too, almost forgot about it, he should know better.

For Kane's single he took, if Milne played defensively then Kane probably wouldn't take the blame for taking the single. See how Haddin told Cummings to back off and not taking singles, MS Donnie had the same attitude last year when he played us, but I think us and Eng etc just have the same attitude of trusting your tailenders, because who knows Kane might have tried to squeeze a single or hit a six vs Starc and got out, and his tailenders did just enough for him to take on an easier bowler and win the game. So much variables.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Did you get an opportunity to give Dan Vettori some **** for being massively overrated? Otherwise I can't possibly see how it could be the greatest day of your life.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, and given that these guys would presumably get plenty of practice against Trenteh in the nets, they should know the perils involved with trying to execute full-blooded drives against fast full inswingers. I can only put it down to collective panic setting in after the wicket of Ronchi.

thierry henry

International Coach
Did you get an opportunity to give Dan Vettori some **** for being massively overrated? Otherwise I can't possibly see how it could be the greatest day of your life.
Believe it or not the tables have totally turned on that one. There were so many people (from, shall we say, the "talkback" section of the population) questioning his selection for the WC, which I just thought was laughable given him much better than NMac he is as an ODI bowler. I sort of grouped him with Mills as old heads who are easily worth their spots despite some hate from the general public.

Accordingly I've become sort of a Vettori fan now, because I'm counting on him to do the sort of job he did on Saturday and in doing so he is, like Boult, silencing some haterzzzzzz. Doesn't change the fact that when I look back on his test career I will always maintain that he was a pretty overrated bowler.

Zinzan

Yeah, and given that these guys would presumably get plenty of practice against Trenteh in the nets, they should know the perils involved with trying to execute full-blooded drives against fast full inswingers. I can only put it down to collective panic setting in after the wicket of Ronchi.
It's one area batting coach Macca has his work out for him, lower order defense when it's needed.

And if we're ever in that situation again or a similar one in a test match when good defense is needed, perhaps Boult should bat ahead of Southee.