• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phillip Hughes CW support banner at Melbourne and Sydney Test match

Where should the left over money be donated?

• Other (Please List)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The one that got wedged in Wessels' grill did come back at him off the deck, to be fair. Did well to turn his head as the ball impacted the grill, which seemed to me to have transferred the force from coming directly through the grill to running along its length.

the big bambino

International Captain
It jagged back heaps from Kane but Wessels front foot method of dealing with the short one was an interesting illustration of the distinction with the traditional back foot way that a few commentators have mentioned. Maybe the better PPE explains why more guys are hit now. Or at least that's what seems to me. I can't recall as many incidents even in the days of the West Indian apocalypse.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The WC is getting closer and if anyone is going to any games in either Aus or NZ and wants to put the Hughes flag up we need to know pretty soon.

As mentioned I am going to the Eng/Aus game at the MCG on the 14th Feb and am happy to take the flag, only thing is, being England I can pretty much guarantee all possible flag spots will be taken very early. I also think we've had it at the MCG already and it is not the best of grounds for flags to be seen on TV..........I would be far more awesome if we could get it up at some NZ grounds. Surely some of our resident Kiwis will be going to some games and would be up for this??

So if anyone is going to any WC games at any venue and wants to do this, now is the time to speak up.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure how easy it'd be to put a flag up at Saxton Oval - which is the only ground I'm going to. Tends to be the sort of ground where you need to stand up a whiteboard rather than a venue to hoist a flag.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure how easy it'd be to put a flag up at Saxton Oval - which is the only ground I'm going to. Tends to be the sort of ground where you need to stand up a whiteboard rather than a venue to hoist a flag.
Hey Heef.........does Saxton Oval still look like this?

That picket fence looks OK for hanging flags on...........no advertising boards to to worry about covering up either.

Are you going to both games there? Let us know if you are interested.

Cheers mate.

Attachments

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure if it still looks like that (or more importantly whether it will for the World Cup). A guy in the NZ vs. SL match thread went to a recent game there, might be worth checking with him as I'd hate for you to send it over here and have no joy as in my experience, these grounds don't like you hanging banners on their picket fences. Plus, we're only going for Ireland vs. West Indies so there might be some issues with relevance?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure if it still looks like that (or more importantly whether it will for the World Cup). A guy in the NZ vs. SL match thread went to a recent game there, might be worth checking with him as I'd hate for you to send it over here and have no joy as in my experience, these grounds don't like you hanging banners on their picket fences. Plus, we're only going for Ireland vs. West Indies so there might be some issues with relevance?
I don't think it's appropriate.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Just a quick update that I've got the Phillip Hughes flag and will be putting it up at the MCG tomorrow, I'll do my best with placement so keep an eye out on the telly for it.

cnerd123

likes this
He's still dead isn't he??

Why wouldn't it still be appropriate??
Because people have moved on and are trying to enjoy the WC, while the players are trying to focus on winning it, and the banner may distract from all that?

IDK. I can only speak personally. As a fan at the match or as a player on the field, I'd see that and think it was a sweet gesture, but out of place.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that it has the logo and url may make it go down a bit poorly with some

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey guy's, sorry to say I couldn't get the flag up yesterday.

Had a bit of a mare in the morning, long story short I went with a mate who flew in from Tassie and his plane was late getting in which meant we were late getting in the ground. Also all the front barriers on the upper tiers were done up in cricket WC logos and designs and they weren't letting them get covered at all. I saw a couple of flags put up and they were taken down very quickly......I had a brief crack with it in the stand I was in and a security guard was straight onto me saying there were no banners allowed in the area at all. First time I've ever seen a game in Oz involving England were there were no flags up.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Are we entirely sure it's still appropriate?
Because people have moved on and are trying to enjoy the WC, while the players are trying to focus on winning it, and the banner may distract from all that?

IDK. I can only speak personally. As a fan at the match or as a player on the field, I'd see that and think it was a sweet gesture, but out of place.
The fact that it has the logo and url may make it go down a bit poorly with some

Must say I'm at a bit of a loss to understand any of this. By consensus the wording on the flag is "Forever in our hearts" That does not mean...........In our hearts for 5 mins whilst it's all new and raw and everyone's is talking about it, but 3 months down the track we'll have moved on and this tragic accident will be considered "a distraction"

We ditched the Sean Abbott flag because we all agreed with the way Sean handled it and copped it was no longer appropriate. In that scenario the circumstances did change. But the circumstances with regards Phillip Hughes have not changed, the design of the flag (including logo and URL) were agreed upon at the time, or at the least everyone had the opportunity to voice their opinions................so why is this an issue now?? We also said we would get this flag to as many games of cricket as possible including sending it over to the UK for the Ashes............again we are simply attempting to do what we said we were going to do at the start. So why the second thoughts about it now?

If the general feeling is that this has run it's course and should be put to bed that's fine........but can we please get this cleared up now so there isn't any more time, effort and cost invested behind the scenes in following through with what we all started if people are no longer wanting it. As I've said all along, no one owns this and we'll run with what ever the majority call is.

Edit:

Apologies for the rant nature of the post.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Everyone was really emotional back then but now that I've had more time I really think the URL and Logo might make it seem like we're using it as an opportunity to advertise. I personally think it's still appropriate to fly it all over but if it's in the back of my mind then I'm sure a few members of the public may wrongly interpret our intentions.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hey guy's, sorry to say I couldn't get the flag up yesterday.

Had a bit of a mare in the morning, long story short I went with a mate who flew in from Tassie and his plane was late getting in which meant we were late getting in the ground. Also all the front barriers on the upper tiers were done up in cricket WC logos and designs and they weren't letting them get covered at all. I saw a couple of flags put up and they were taken down very quickly......I had a brief crack with it in the stand I was in and a security guard was straight onto me saying there were no banners allowed in the area at all. First time I've ever seen a game in Oz involving England were there were no flags up.
Yeah, was very interesting, noted that myself.

Although I did think that the MCG looked great without the advertising boards, and just the official signage on the front of each tier.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Adders and I were chatting about where we take the flag from here and whether we feel it's appropriate to display it during The Ashes in England.

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone going to any Ashes matches and want to display it?