• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Selected list of players who average more in the current series than Virat Kohli:

Alastair Cook
Sam Robson
Gary Ballance
Ian Bell
Joe Root
Moeen Ali
Jos Buttler
Chris Woakes
Chris Jordan
Stuart Broad
Jimmy Anderson

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pleased that Woakes got that early wicket. I think he's got more ability and more promise as a bowler than he's been given credit for: he gets real movement at a good pace, and his FC stats suggest he might make a genuine Test all-rounder. Just needs a couple of good returns with the ball and he will need to be taken seriously.
It's been spoken about at length before, but I think he's almost a very good bowler in several different ways, but not quite in any of them.

There is no standout weakness about him that you can usually point to in an unsuccessful bowler to explain why he won't be successful. He's fast enough, accurate enough, gets enough bounce, bowls well enough to a plan and gets enough movement for Test level. He's got all the tools in that regard -- nothing in particular to work on to correct a flaw.

What he doesn't have though is a major strength that he can build his bowling around and get batsmen out with. He's not fast enough, accurate enough, bouncy enough etc to make any of those aspects the main feature of his bowling. As such, he'll probably look to be bowling better regularly but take less wickets than someone like Jordon who is a significantly worse bowler at lower levels but has a couple of genuine strengths to take wickets with in Tests even when he's bowling poorly overall.

It's often said that Woakes is a jack of all trades but the master of none because he's almost a Test bowler and almost a Test batsman. But I'd extend that even further to his bowling specifically -- he's almost a Test quality swing bowler, almost a Test quality fast bowler, almost a Test quality line bowler etc. I like to root for these bowlers and instinctively we think they'll be serviceable but I think in reality allround bowlers with no big strength to take wickets with are less effective than we'd imagine.

In saying all that, because he's such a rounded bowler, a small increase in overall skill could result in a exponential increase in results. Given he's a #7 standard Test batsman as well, that means he's a player England have every right to be quite interested in; he's some slight improvements away from being a huge player, if he can ever manage them.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Delighted at how Woakes has bowled, beat the bat and had edges fall short as well as the wicket.

My day 3 tickets looking a bit unlikely now though :( Hope England can bat long (like all day 2) so I get at least some play.

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Well this tour has busted the myth that is Virat Kohli

Kohli averaged 68 in South Africa and 71 in NZ before this tour.
He's still a young batsman figuring out his game - a bad tour doesn't mean he is a poor player.

Ponting had a shocker of a tour of India in 2001 and turned out OK.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There could be a case made that Woakes is good as, or maybe better than Jimmeh was at this stage in his career with the ball. In the end he needs to improve, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility, the type of bowling he does isn't relying on pure skill, it's a craft. He has actually improved a lot on when I first watched him, when I used to be fairly derogatory about him.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah him being a 7 is the major annoyance, but in a run of 15 tests I'd back him to average more than Moeen although I'd back Moeen to score more 100s.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
It's been spoken about at length before, but I think he's almost a very good bowler in several different ways, but not quite in any of them.

There is no standout weakness about him that you can usually point to in an unsuccessful bowler to explain why he won't be successful. He's fast enough, accurate enough, gets enough bounce, bowls well enough to a plan and gets enough movement for Test level. He's got all the tools in that regard -- nothing in particular to work on to correct a flaw.

What he doesn't have though is a major strength that he can build his bowling around and get batsmen out with. He's not fast enough, accurate enough, bouncier enough etc to make any of those aspects the main feature of his bowling. As such, he'll probably look to be bowling better regularly but take less wickets than someone like Jordon who is a significantly worse bowler at lower levels but has a couple of genuine strengths to take wickets with in Tests even when he's bowling poorly overall.

It's often said that Woakes is a jack of all trades but the master of none because he's almost a Test bowler and almost a Test batsman. But I'd extend that even further to his bowling specifically -- he's almost a Test quality swing bowler, almost a Test quality fast bowler, almost a Test quality line bowler etc. I like to root for these bowlers and instinctively we think they'll be serviceable but I think in reality allround bowlers with no big strength to take wickets with are less effective than we'd imagine.

In saying all that, because he's such a rounded bowler, a small increase in overall skill could result in a exponential increase in results. Given he's a #7 standard Test batsman as well, that means he's a player England have every right to be quite interested in; he's some slight improvements away from being a huge player, if he can even manage them.
Good 4th seamer in a Test side, 3rd seamer if spinner/s are required.

Accuracy can often improve with confidence, and a defined role in the side.

Some people are far too inclined towards a 'what have you done for me lately' attitude which is particularly dangerous with new players like Woakes and Jordan.

t should also be noted, regarding both batting and bowling, how much the England team has changed in the last 2 years. It's easier for new players to come into a settled side.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love the way the lesser nations from the subcontinent all conspire to ensure only one of them is ever decent at a time. So, now SL have actually done something away, India reverts to type and are ****. In the late 00s when India did something away for the first time in its mediocre cricketing history, both SL and Pakistan were rubbish/ corrupt/ banned. In the 80s when Pakisran achieved their history high status of serviceable, the other subcontinental sides obliged by being crap. It's like they take turns to share the limelight.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Loving this old footage of vintage Hoggy and Harmison at their best. Nice bit of Lara on show too. Got his 400 on dvd, such an awesome knock.

cnerd123

likes this
Game over, 3-1, etc etc. Rest just formalities.

Virat and Pujara have been worrying. 325 runs in 18 innings so far, with Pujara's 55 in Trent Bridge being the only fifty between them.

However, it is a bit too soon to be calling Virat a flop. I mean, he is a 25 year old with a bad first tour to England. He's not alone in that. He'll get better. Being worked over by Anderson and Broad isn't something to be scoffed at.
Same for Pujara, although while Virat has a definite flaw and been picked off repeatedly in the same fashion, it's hard to pick what Pujara has been doing wrong. Lots of soft dismissals.

91Jmay

International Coach
Game over, 3-1, etc etc. Rest just formalities.

Virat and Pujara have been worrying. 325 runs in 18 innings so far, with Pujara's 55 in Trent Bridge being the only fifty between them.

However, it is a bit too soon to be calling Virat a flop. I mean, he is a 25 year old with a bad first tour to England. He's not alone in that. He'll get better. Being worked over by Anderson and Broad isn't something to be scoffed at.
Same for Pujara, although while Virat has a definite flaw and been picked off repeatedly in the same fashion, it's hard to pick what Pujara has been doing wrong. Lots of soft dismissals.
Disagree a bit there. Pujara through the gate is the area to go at him. Been bowled twice (?) like it in the series, think i'd keep it full on off and try to nibble it either way because he's nicked to keeper a few times as well.

91Jmay

International Coach
No mention of Snow for the best England pacers? **** of Athers
My old man reckons he was 2nd only to Willis as the best we've produced. You have to image he'd have 300 + test wickets if the selectors weren't such ****ing arsewipes. Apparently had real pace as well.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My old man reckons he was 2nd only to Willis as the best we've produced. You have to image he'd have 300 + test wickets if the selectors weren't such ****ing arsewipes. Apparently had real pace as well.
Think everyone who played against him rates him very highly.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Stuart Binny looks like a bulkier version of Dravid, with that helmet strap hanging out and his general playstyle resembles Dravid so much. Not suggesting he's anywhere near as good as Dravid ftr

Last edited: