• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Steyn on collision course with greatness

Interesting statistical analysis, but probably not anything people here wouldn't know. It's interesting to note how good his SR and his WPM are. Significantly better than all other comers.

Seems to be large acceptance of Malcolm Marshall as the clear cut #1 paceman of all time (I don't particularly subscribe to this view), but it seems Steyn is doing everything that Marshall did (incredible SR, elite average, success in the subcontinent).

Anyway, this is a tribute to my favourite current cricketer on the planet.

cnerd123

likes this
Lets evaluate when he retires. He might play well past his prime and harm his overall figures as he declines, or he may adapt his style and bowl brilliantly into his mid/late 30s

He's still pretty quick and he's 31 now, and you could argue that he is around his peak. Next few years will be interesting.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The strike rate is quite astonishing.

I still think Marshall is better rounded but Steyn is occupying his own category as a strike bowler.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Great job when batsmen have been finding it easy to score runs. At least one ATG pacer to keep them in check. He may as well be the greatest of all time but let's wait till he calls it a day.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Pretty sure there was a thread three years back where people said they'd wait three years before making a call on him :p

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Great job when batsmen have been finding it easy to score runs. At least one ATG pacer to keep them in check. He may as well be the greatest of all time but let's wait till he calls it a day.
Think there's plenty of good, maybe not quite ATG pacers around at the moment.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Think there's plenty of good, maybe not quite ATG pacers around at the moment.
Last 1-2 years, we have gotten better with pacers but in middle it was looking not so good. I think, it goes through a cycle but right now 3-4 teams have very good pace attack.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
I think he is in the top 5 pacers all-time already. The next 2-3 years will decide whether he ends up being the clear front-runner for first fast bowling pick in an ATG XI.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So, Steyn needs 17 wickets in next 4 games to beat Hadlee to fastest to 400 wickets. That will be an incredible achievement.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolute freak. Incredible wpm despite playing as part of a strong attack, unreal strike rate, and the best record in the SC for any fast bowler ever. Produced several match winning spells in literally every country he's played in too.

Would be very surprised if he doesn't end up in my personal top 3 of all time when he retires.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Pretty sure there was a thread three years back where people said they'd wait three years before making a call on him :p
See, the topic's come up in the past, and people have responded with "wait a couple more years".

It then comes up after a couple of years, and the answer remains the same.

It'll come up after a couple of years now, and those people will respond similarly yet again. There's no accounting for fence-sitters.