• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If South Africa beat India and make the World T20 final...

Sri Lanka vs. South Africa Final - Who is more likely to choke?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Especially right now, when not many of them are playing IPL anyway, even club cricket might be an idea, like what Prasanna Jayawardene did last year

I think Ajantha Mendis and Rangana Herath have done some county stints, although that was a few years ago now iirc
Is Prasanna Jayawardene still around the set up? He had a fantastic tour of England a few years ago when he scored heavily and kept like a beast, but he seemed to fade away for a while. Was he injured or something? I thought the bloke seems a proper gun keeper.

the big bambino

International Captain
Italy play a style where individual flair is subservient to team tactics it seems to me (not really a follower of soccer) but SL's individual flair has been encouraged for the sake of the team whenever they've had it. I have an opinion that they were the pioneers in attacking the 1st 15 overs in one day cricket and set that standard with Kalu and Jayasuriya.

Burgey

Italy play a style where individual flair is subservient to team tactics it seems to me (not really a follower of soccer) but SL's individual flair has been encouraged for the sake of the team whenever they've had it. I have an opinion that they were the pioneers in attacking the 1st 15 overs in one day cricket and set that standard with Kalu and Jayasuriya.
England did it with Botham at that WCC tourney in Perth in 1987, but it wasn't full on from both ends like SL did it in the mid 90s. FMD that little Kalu fella hit it a ton.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Prasanna Jayawardene still around the set up? He had a fantastic tour of England a few years ago when he scored heavily and kept like a beast, but he seemed to fade away for a while. Was he injured or something? I thought the bloke seems a proper gun keeper.
Was picked as the first choice keeper for the recent UAE tour, then had to leave the Bangladesh tour due to his father becoming ill, as far as I'm aware he is still the first choice wicketkeeper going into the England tour. He got injured during that Australia tour and didn't get his spot back for ages cos SL barely played and they wanted to develop Chandimal in the mean time.

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
I can't believe you, like Maximas earlier in the day, thought I was actually paying them a compliment with the "got a rule changed" comment.

No they haven't won anything away that's worthwhile, is what I said. Fancy saying they're like Italy in football, in which there is one format. What an absurd proposition. I've read three posts of yours so far, and you make these absurd, inapt comparisons in all of them.

Italy are competitive from time to time away from home.SL are closer to the Parramatta NRL team than they are to any international sporting team. Comfortable and very occasionally dominant in conditions with which they're familiar, but nothing any place else.

As an aside, are you that fella from ICF who used to post as CC1981? Your posting style is very similar.
They've won everything worth winning in the international competitions.
The comparison to Italy was in terms of style vs substance. In that regard, there are parallels because they are both extremely successful teams who look ugly.
Winning the world cup- in any format- is worth far more than winning in a format nobody watches in the first place.
That is the part that traditionalist fools like you refuse to accept.

And no, I am not cc1981 from ICF, i am also muloghonto there. I don't know why people keep thinking that i am that guy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Winning the world cup- in any format- is worth far more than winning in a format nobody watches in the first place.
That is the part that traditionalist fools like you refuse to accept.
The arrogance and condescension in these two lines is only matched by its refusal to actually substantiate its claims.

Stop trying to enforce your, at best highly controversial, opinions on the rest of the forum as stated fact without substantiation, and stop with the arrogant dismissal of anyone who has the temerity to actually hold a different opinion to yours. At best it's tedious - a more honest assessment would be that it's deeply detrimental to forum atmosphere and it's wearing my and the other mods' patience down rather rapidly. General warning.

---

Half of the first choice team was missing as well, might've really pushed Aus if Sanga and the fast bowlers were available
tbf we might have picked a proper team in that case too

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha yeah, what was it again? They couldn't bear the thought of dropping a bowler to make way for Starc so they just picked 5 bowlers :laugh:. Those were the good old days of rotation

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't believe you, like Maximas earlier in the day, thought I was actually paying them a compliment with the "got a rule changed" comment.

No they haven't won anything away that's worthwhile, is what I said. Fancy saying they're like Italy in football, in which there is one format. What an absurd proposition. I've read three posts of yours so far, and you make these absurd, inapt comparisons in all of them.

Italy are competitive from time to time away from home.SL are closer to the Parramatta NRL team than they are to any international sporting team. Comfortable and very occasionally dominant in conditions with which they're familiar, but nothing any place else.

As an aside, are you that fella from ICF who used to post as CC1981? Your posting style is very similar.
In a way the amazing thing was not that Sri Lanka broke their final hoodoo on Sunday but that they even had a final hoodoo to break. Ignore the results for a moment – the World T20 final was the fifth time since 2007 that the team had reached the final match of a world tournament. It would be an outstanding record for any country, never mind one with a population a smidgen over 20,000,000, that sits very much in lower mid-table in the UN's lists of the wealthiest countries, has spent the vast majority of the past three decades in the grip of bloody civil war and the past 10 years recovering from one of the worst natural disasters of the 21st century. - The Guardian's "The Spin"

Burgey

There is no taste.

Noted subcontinental team playing at the top level for 30 years does well in the subcontinent, the only place it's ever done well. That's in no way inconsistent with what I wrote in my erudite and measured first post in this thread; namely, SL has done SFA outside it's comfort zone and should therefore be rightly rounded upon as a disappointment.

Let's be honest here, they've had Sanga and Aravinda as truly world class bats; Malinga is their only true quick, and their spinners are uselsss away from the SC. You'd back yourself to play every SL bowler save Murali and Malinga with a stick of celery. I'd add Vaas to the list too, provided there's an impending thunder storm overhead and he gets the ball to move half a centimetre sideways.

Wouldn't give you two bob for the rest. Harsh, but fair.

Burgey

Waiting for Muloghonto to reply that because he once pushed the heavy roller in close proximity to Jayawardene at the SSC, he's well qualified to comment and disagree.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I've said it before, and I'l say it again... (because who doesn't love a chubby little SLA master?)

Herath

Also, very early days but you may come to appreciate Eranga one day, maybe.

And tbf Burgey's point stands, no amount of WC wins in the SC will change the fact that SL suck at tests, particularly overseas

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Waiting for Muloghonto to reply that because he once pushed the heavy roller in close proximity to Jayawardene at the SSC, he's well qualified to comment and disagree.
What a shock that a bloke who supports the country you're bagging is getting annoyed and responding.

Burgey

What a shock that a bloke who supports the country you're bagging is getting annoyed and responding.
I don't know if he supports SL actually. I don't think he's a Burgey supporter, that's for sure. But he might like to enlighten us as to his team in order that I can tip a bucket on them in the event it isn't SL.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
In a way the amazing thing was not that Sri Lanka broke their final hoodoo on Sunday but that they even had a final hoodoo to break. Ignore the results for a moment – the World T20 final was the fifth time since 2007 that the team had reached the final match of a world tournament. It would be an outstanding record for any country, never mind one with a population a smidgen over 20,000,000, that sits very much in lower mid-table in the UN's lists of the wealthiest countries, has spent the vast majority of the past three decades in the grip of bloody civil war and the past 10 years recovering from one of the worst natural disasters of the 21st century. - The Guardian's "The Spin"
absolutely spot on...