• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh: Love it.

Hooksey, how about posting the dropped catches stats too.........pretty sure we all know Australia nailed us there as well but never hurts to drive the point home eh?
There's another tests worth of fun yet. Stop raining on our parade! :cool:

wiff

First Class Debutant
Took the kids into Sydney yesterday for Yum Cha and to watch the Hunger Games: Catching Fire. I realised half-way through the movie that there was an interesting parallel with the Ashes Games. So here is my spoiler plot for the Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Only some of the names have been changed. Warning: Do not read if you have not seen the movie.

Months after winning the Ashes, Katniss Everdeen must go on what is known as the Return Ashes wherein they visit all the cricket grounds in Australia. But before leaving, Katniss is visited by President Morgan who tells Katniss that while on tour she better try to make sure that she puts out the flames in the dressing room or else everyone she cares about will be in danger. But unfortunately she fails to do that. So Morgan decides to enact what is known as the Retirement Quell, the right to make a change to the Ashes Squad, which he is allowed to do every time he opens his mouth. He decides to print an edition of the Ashes wherein previous best players mean nothing. Katniss Everdeen’s mentor Botham thinks her best chance to survive is to form an alliance with some of the other commentators. They decide to align themselves with Willis and Atherton. But Morgan is secretly hoping Katniss will be killed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't think much has been wrong with Pietersen's form; he's looked more "out of nick" previously, it's just that often when he does he then comes out and smashes them for a massive score at some stage during the series and the stats look quite good.

Even though he scored slowly in Melbourne, it's not unusual for it to be a difficult wicket to score on. He hasn't been getting nicked off, or bowled, he's been finding ways to get out; he's been hitting the ball well enough when he's been positive.

U19 12th Man
I'm legitimately shocked at how many England players have collapsed in a miserable heap at the first sign of aggression from Australia. Anderson has always had queries on his character, but the extent of his reversion to type has been...I can't believe I'm saying this...difficult to watch. Swann. Prior. Alastair Cook's frightened, embarrassing captaincy, the field changes, the throwing of Panesar to the wolves. Even Broad, their "competitor", takes the shape of a man who is enamoured with the idea of grit but doesn't fundamentally get it. Retreating from his stumps to Johnson in Adelaide, which you forgive in isolation. But not putting the hand up for his captain when there wasn't any structural damage to his foot, and the team needed that display of ****ing hardness and togetherness in the face of what was going on. That was poor. Yet he has been the one, Stokes aside, to show the most.

Mind you, who the **** would put their hand up for Cook the way he has handled proceedings this tour?

I expected the aussies to hit back in the return series, but I never in a million years thought they would become the third side to complete the whitewash, which all signs indicate will happen. This tour dollops nasty clods of mud on the career records of more than a few. There was no excuse for not fronting up here. Both teams were exposed to this schedule and the stakes were high both times.

Respect lost all round, on Cook's part especially. A worse display of captaincy across a series I have never, EVER seen. Diabolical.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Respect lost all round, on Cook's part especially. A worse display of captaincy across a series I have never, EVER seen. Diabolical.
Wait till the games over then throw it to your spinner. Schoolboy captaincy at best.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dhoni over here for the 4-0 was pretty average tbf. Once batsmen were set he just gave up trying to get them out until they were near any sort of milestone.

wiff

First Class Debutant
A worse display of captaincy across a series I have never, EVER seen. Diabolical.
Yeah the leadership has been bad, just saying it's an internet thing about dropping in and out, then the "I do it all the time" excuse . . .

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
There's another tests worth of fun yet. Stop raining on our parade! :cool:
Ok, here's the thing I just don't comprehend....I'll probably get accused of warmongering here but it is a genuine observation after living here for 20 years.

When your team wins or does well the first instinct for most Australians is not to celebrate your own success but to take the piss out of the beaten opposition.....I don't get it at all. A good example was the Adelaide test which I went to, every 50 and 100 the Aussies brought up in their innings was done so with a boundary (remarkable feat considering there was 11 such milestones in their 1st innings).......almost every Aussie around me greeted these boundaries with jeers and smart arse comments about the bowlers deliveries.........almost no recognition was given to bringing up another milestone in the innings.

Hookseys repeated posting of Englands stats for the series.......why the **** wouldn't he be more focused on what Australia did well than what we did badly??

Now don't get me wrong, I get into the banter side of things as much as the next person and a bit of taking the piss is certainly not out of order, the Ashes really are largely about bragging rights for the supporters after all........but it just seems strangely sad to me that for so many the belittling of the opposition is more important than the bigging up of your own mob???

Anyway, would be interested to hear others opinions on this......genuinely am not trying to start a fight here just sharing an observation.

wiff

First Class Debutant
Ok, here's the thing I just don't comprehend....I'll probably get accused of warmongering here but it is a genuine observation after living here for 20 years.

When your team wins or does well the first instinct for most Australians is not to celebrate your own success but to take the piss out of the beaten opposition.....I don't get it at all. A good example was the Adelaide test which I went to, every 50 and 100 the Aussies brought up in their innings was done so with a boundary (remarkable feat considering there was 11 such milestones in their 1st innings).......almost every Aussie around me greeted these boundaries with jeers and smart arse comments about the bowlers deliveries.........almost no recognition was given to bringing up another milestone in the innings.

Hookseys repeated posting of Englands stats for the series.......why the **** wouldn't he be more focused on what Australia did well than what we did badly??

Now don't get me wrong, I get into the banter side of things as much as the next person and a bit of taking the piss is certainly not out of order, the Ashes really are largely about bragging rights for the supporters after all........but it just seems strangely sad to me that for so many the belittling of the opposition is more important than the bigging up of your own mob???

Anyway, would be interested to hear others opinions on this......genuinely am not trying to start a fight here just sharing an observation.
Yeah, you're so right. It's a built in nature for us permanent criminal under dogs. BTW your post is crap. :laugh:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Cook's not a great Captain but a fair few drops etc, the game was closer than what it turned out as wasn't it? The English collapse was despicable but so was the fielding.

wiff

First Class Debutant
Cook's not a great Captain but a fair few drops etc, the game was closer than what it turned out as wasn't it? The English collapse was despicable but so was the fielding.
England were ahead when they batted the second innings, and were getting in position to win while Cook was there. Fortunately the Australian bowlers bowled marvellously and the Australian batters I applauded inexplicably.