• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"When I came out on this trip I half expected it to be my last tour for England," Swann said in Melbourne on Sunday. "I was desperately hoping to win the Ashes out here again like we did in 2010-11 but with the Ashes gone now in those three Test matches, personally I think to stay on and selfishly play just to experience another Boxing Day Test match and another Sydney Test match would be wrong.

"It would be wrong for the team, wrong for me as well. It's time for someone else to strap themselves in and enjoy the ride like I have done. It's time for England to rebuild and refocus on winning back these big series. Me hanging around with the decision already made in my head wouldn't be right.

"My body doesn't like playing the long forms of cricket. My arm doesn't cope very well with bowling 30 or 40 overs in the first innings and then repeating it in the second innings a day later anymore. I could feel my performances tapering off in the back end of games and I wasn't happy with that. I'm not willing to just hang on and get by being a bit-part player. I want to be a guy who wins matches for England, and I don't feel I was doing that in the second innings anymore.

Daemon

This is so bizarre. Posters went on and on about how a player can and should retire whenever he wants in the Ponting, Tendulkar and Hussey threads but so many seem to have done a complete turnaround in their views.

wiff

First Class Debutant
The trouble is, England have been out-psyched in this series. Swann's departure will not help. England are disintegrating. Don't want to talk about it? Just put your head in the sand.

adub

International Captain
People need to **** off with the Matt Prior chat too, jesus.
Why? Is it because of the mountain of runs he's made this year, or the faultless effort behind the sticks at the WACA?

Boi is on borrowed time unless he turns it around quick smart. The fact you've only got a stop gap option on tour helps him stay in the side, but I bet Swanny isn't the only guy in the shed asking himself just how badly does he want to keep doing this?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just been reported on ABC radio that Monty told team-mates in Sydney club cricket yesterday that Swann was going to be dropped for MCG and replaced by him

91Jmay

International Coach
End of the day who is better than Prior currently? If the bloke who is coming in is ****, whats the point? Drop a bloke to make the team better, not because you have to drop someone. Bairstow scoring runs in warm up game might give them cause, if they think he is a long term option.

Last edited:

morgieb

AFAIC Prior's form is bad enough that it's hard to see Bairstow, Buttler or whoever doing worse.

I'd give him until the Sri Lanka series to turn it around, if he doesn't then he has to be dropped IMO.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Swann retires as one of the best spinners in the last 5 years, and also as one of England's greatest finger spinners (best since Underwood?).

As for the timing, only the player knows when it's truly time to go, so I never really complain about the timing of retirements, if he didn't want to continue then there really is no reason why he shouldn't retire IMO

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, with Maximas here. Retirement is purely a personal decision; it he doesn't want to play anymore then he shouldn't. Same goes for any other retirement.

morgieb

Yeah, with Maximas here. Retirement is purely a personal decision; it he doesn't want to play anymore then he shouldn't. Same goes for any other retirement.
Indeed. Obviously there are cases where the selectors are too soft to drop someone, but it's not like this is the case. Instead of whining about the decision, you should talk about the career he's had.

morgieb

FWIW I've long thought Swann was vastly over-rated. But there's no doubt he's had a fine career, and I don't think even he would've anticipated the path of his career, especially after the 99 tour to South Africa.

BTW he really should've started international cricket at least 5 years earlier. Why didn't he?

91Jmay

International Coach
FWIW I've long thought Swann was vastly over-rated. But there's no doubt he's had a fine career, and I don't think even he would've anticipated the path of his career, especially after the 99 tour to South Africa.

BTW he really should've started international cricket at least 5 years earlier. Why didn't he?
Duncan Fletcher hated him.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Swann retires as one of the best spinners in the last 5 years, and also as one of England's greatest finger spinners (best since Underwood?).

As for the timing, only the player knows when it's truly time to go, so I never really complain about the timing of retirements, if he didn't want to continue then there really is no reason why he shouldn't retire IMO
Yeah look , normally I'd agree with that Max and I certainly wasn't one that was critical of Hussey in any way........this one though?? This just feels wrong to me.

I hope I change my thinking on this I really do as Swanny has been one of the best things to happen to English cricket and I'd hate for him to go out on a sour note.........at the moment though this just smacks of "**** this losing malarkey aint no fun, these tours were much more fun when we were wining"