• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Swann

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For mine every cricket fan should love Swann. He was an attacking spinner not from the sub-continent who was turning balls, flighting them up, cleaning up batting lineups and winning matches in a variety of conditions (though not Australia). Compared to the absolute trundlers or dart throwers that make their way in test cricket so often from so many teams, he was a breath of fresh air. It was made all the better that he was English as we hadn't seen such an attacking spinner from them in ages.

Was a big fan.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He bowled us to victory at Adelaide, though not quite what you're referring to I guess.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I forgot about that actually. Backs my point even further really.

I can see how people may have found him brash or whatever (he was just a guy with a sense of humour for me), but most of the hate seemed to stem around the fact people rated him very highly, whereas he wasn't as good as Warne or Murali. Well he was still very good.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I forgot about that actually. Backs my point even further really.

I can see how people may have found him brash or whatever (he was just a guy with a sense of humour for me), but most of the hate seemed to stem around the fact people rated him very highly, whereas he wasn't as good as Warne or Murali. Well he was still very good.
When people compare the two good England sides of recent times - 04-05 and 10-11 - people who lean towards the latter can and do point to Swann as the difference.

We will miss him heaps. Monty is serviceable for the time being, but it's a huge step down, with all due respect. I know Swann has been out of form with the bat but the difference between him and Monty there and in the field shouldn't be underestimated.

Always puzzled me that Fletcher didn't give him another go actually, given his preference for multi dimensional cricketers.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When people compare the two good England sides of recent times - 04-05 and 10-11 - people who lean towards the latter can and do point to Swann as the difference.

We will miss him heaps. Monty is serviceable for the time being, but it's a huge step down, with all due respect. I know Swann has been out of form with the bat but the difference between him and Monty there and in the field shouldn't be underestimated.

Always puzzled me that Fletcher didn't give him another go actually, given his preference for multi dimensional cricketers.
Yeah, we haven't really replaced Colly in the cordon so losing Swann is a huge blow.

Wonder how long till Dockrell gets called up? Least he has more experience having played ODI's for Ireland than any of the kids we have coming through (before people jump on it I am not saying we should just poach him but I think we will anyway so just mentioning him now) as one of the most talented Rafiq hardly got a game last season after his injury.

flibbertyjibber

When you listen to his press conference you understand why he is going, he can't bowl as he used to and would like to due to the elbow so is going now. Fair enough seeing as the series is dead. If it was 2-1 would he have done it now, no. Thanks for everything Swanny, be a hard act to follow.

flibbertyjibber

If this was Murali / Ajmal the forum would have erupted.
WTF are you on about? Swann has had 2 major operations on his elbow, the last one within the last 12 months, it clearly hasn't worked as well as they had hoped so he has walked away. I have no ****ing idea why you are bringing Murali and Ajmal into it when this is about Swann retiring.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
255 wickets at just under 30 runs a piece, matching winning hauls in most series he took part in. Not sure what more you can ask for from an orthodox finger spinner in the covered pitch era. The best of his kind for some time.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, I think it was not appropriate to retire mid series unless it was explicitly discussed with admins and coaches beforehand. It just creates problems of replacements.

Daemon

Funny how Migara has no sympathy for Swann's condition yet I'm 100% certain he would've stood up for Malinga when he decided to retire.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I don't really post here much any more but i thought I'd drop buy to say that Swann was probably my favourite English cricketer of the last 10 years. He's probably the reason we went on such a great run and it was simply amazing that ENGLAND had easily the worlds best spinner for a few years. Love the man and we won't have another spinner getting anywhere near 200 wickets for years.

swan_11.jpg

A huge loss. Even if he couldn't bowl anything like as well as before his elbow went.