• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
can't believe i'm copping spark and nufan coming at me at the same time. surely unprecedented.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Jono's Ashes debut has gone pear-shaped after upsetting the apple-cart. #feelinfruity

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
****ing sick of Mark Waugh on Fox Sports talking out of his arse. He knew nothing about Gary Ballance and started saying how he wouldnt be any better than Stokes. Blewett than tells Waugh of his great record this English summer.

The bloke doesn't international cricket but is happy to pretend like he knows everything about all international line-ups. So sick of him.
This is a legitimate criticism of Mark Waugh. I can't disagree. However I still definitely think the good outweighs the bad. I love how he's willing to get stuck into players if he doesn't rate them - he doesn't mince his words or try not to offend anyone, he actually gives an honest opinion. That's so rare in a commentator that it makes him worth listening to. A lot of that is offset by him not only pretending to know everything about cricket he hasn't watched or even researched properly but also extrapolating the cricket he watches and ignoring everything else, but I still like him on balance (but not on Ballance, obv).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Jono likening himself to Marty Jannetty is enough to make me sick. He's more like Sensational Sherri. Only not sensational at all.

howardj

International Coach
This is a legitimate criticism of Mark Waugh. I can't disagree. However I still definitely think the good outweighs the bad. I love how he's willing to get stuck into players if he doesn't rate them - he doesn't mince his words or try not to offend anyone, he actually gives an honest opinion. That's so rare in a commentator that it makes him worth listening to. A lot of that is offset by him not only pretending to know everything about cricket he hasn't watched or even researched properly but also extrapolating the cricket he watches and ignoring everything else, but I still like him on balance (but not on Ballance, obv).
Exactly my thoughts, especially that he is willing to criticise players and doesn't care if he offends them

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Mike Selvey seems to think Monty has a decent chance of playing - I hope he's wrong
Sounds like it could be any combo of the rest of the squad (bar Finn and Rankin) as possibilities for the 6 and 8 spot.

Jmay's team seems the most likely on recent history. Have grave doubts about Bresnan in general and even moreso now having only just come back from a sustained period on the sidelines so for that reason playing Monty might not be the worst choice.

Don't have any serious preferences any way in terms of selection. I think Ballance and Stokes will have long test careers but not convinced they're finished articles and it can't get much tougher than an away ashes tour for a debut.

Just needs Prior to go down in the warmups (or be dropped) and could have the Root, Ballance, Bairstow Yorkshire middle order which I predicted two or threee years ago in the domestic thread. Put Bell at 3 and play Bres and you have 1,2,3,4, Root, Ballance, Bairstow, Bresnan,9,10,11.

Exciting to see a debutant in Stokes or Ballance. Even if they fail this series they'll be back for a few more ashes series imo, so any experience is good in the long run.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A lot worse places for a debutant batsman than Adelaide tbf. Looking forward to seeing Ballance play if he's picked. Have heard good things about him.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's nowt up with Yorkies really - I mean you can't really hold them responsible for the accident of birth that they came into this world on the wrong side of the Pennines

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In the past, I'd've been worried about Monty's batting against Mitch's and Harris' short pitched bowling. But on this pitch, I'd expect Monty to piss all over their bouncers.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the past, I'd've been worried about Monty's batting against Mitch's and Harris' short pitched bowling. But on this pitch, I'd expect Monty to piss all over their bouncers.
Conditions very different though - rather more "on the turn" in Brighton than Adelaide