• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, fairly close to the truth in my opinion. He's not exactly imaginative.
It's utter nonsense really. I'm no fan of yesterday's pre-declaration tactics but to dismiss his whole captaincy as that? Absurd. We're talking about a guy who has lost one out of something like fourteen tests as skipper. I don't agree with everything he does - I was cursing him when he brought Bresnan on in the final session at Durham for example. But he gets the job done, and is basically just continuing where Strauss left off. It may not be what everyone wants to see but the bulk of the time it's worked.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
It's utter nonsense really. I'm no fan of yesterday's pre-declaration tactics but to dismiss his whole captaincy as that? Absurd. We're talking about a guy who has lost one out of something like fourteen tests as skipper. I don't agree with everything he does - I was cursing him when he brought Bresnan on in the final session at Durham for example. But he gets the job done, and is basically just continuing where Strauss left off. It may not be what everyone wants to see but the bulk of the time it's worked.
because of him? or despite him?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As everyone used to note with Ponting back when he started - you don't necessarily need to be a good captain to win games with a decent team. Just because England wins games doesn't mean Cook isn't lacking in imagination when he's put under pressure. He seems pretty limited tactics-wise, so when things aren't going England's way he reverts to type.

In my opinion Clarke is a much better captain tactically than Ponting, but he's lost a ****load more test matches while he has been in that position. Does that mean he's actually a pretty poor captain? Or is it a reflection of what he's got to work with?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No look, I agree that results don't equate to a good captain. He can be criticised for his approach when the opposition are 450-5. But he was also under pressure when you were 150-2 chasing 299.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Does it really come from Flower though? It hasn't been unusual for English teams over the years to retreat into their shell very quickly when they're not on top.
Someone has to take responsibility for it and hes the coach so the buck has to stop with him, it wouldn't suprise to see England still batting at the end of today and not even reach 300, this 2 an over rubbish, weve seen it way to much lately, watching England in NZ taking 1/2 an over off of Martin and Williamson was about as low as it can get.

Anyway hopefully KP can go big when he gets in, no better sight in cricket than watching him in full flow flaying the bowling around.

Son Of Coco

No look, I agree that results don't equate to a good captain. He can be criticised for his approach when the opposition are 450-5. But he was also under pressure when you were 150-2 chasing 299.
This is a genuine question as I was asleep during our 8 wicket collapse and didn't get to see the game unfold - what did he do differently in the last test to spark the tumble of wickets that lead to us being rolled after being 150-2?

fredfertang

Totally lost my respect for Cook yesterday - picking five bowlers sends out a certain message - 'twas a big fat lie though

HeathDavisSpeed

Someone has to take responsibility for it and hes the coach so the buck has to stop with him, it wouldn't suprise to see England still batting at the end of today and not even reach 300, this 2 an over rubbish, weve seen it way to much lately, watching England in NZ taking 1/2 an over off of Martin and Williamson was about as low as it can get.
A good chunk of that was down to Steve Finn batting for over 2 sessions. **** that was awful to watch but to be perfectly frank, England would have lost that Test if they didn't bat within themselves.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think tests involving Australia are the most entertaining to watch out of any teams in the world. And that's, as you said, thanks to the brand of cricket Australia plays. SA a fairly close second though. Eng right down in the toilet bowl as far as that's concerned.
I find Sri Lanka to be the most exiting team tbh, more with their batting though, the deep points are off putting, the west indies have to be up there too. But yes, Australia have been excellent to watch, especially in comparison to England

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
A good chunk of that was down to Steve Finn batting for over 2 sessions. **** that was awful to watch but to be perfectly frank, England would have lost that Test if they didn't bat within themselves.
yeah, you never knock a team who's batting for a draw, the pitch was to blame for that test match

Last edited:

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Beautiful batting day today. England should really be looking to get 400 this innings as a statement of intent.

Which probably means 250-4 at 2 p/o

social

Anyway hopefully KP can go big when he gets in, no better sight in cricket than watching him in full flow flaying the bowling around.
Eng have no chance of reaching 300 tonight unless KP does something as Cook, Root, and Bell are all blockers of the highest order whilst Trott varies between comatose and run a ball

Reckon (I.e. hope) they will be bowled out today trying to play for a draw from ball one

Tangles

Didn't get to see Smiths ton last night due to the rain pushing the start back. Was happy that he got there and went on with it. Hopefully that's the start of lots more.

The Battlers Prince

I find Sri Lanka to be the most exiting team tbh, more with their batting though, the deep points are off putting, the west indies have to be up there too. But yes, Australia have been excellent to watch, especially in comparison to England
I'd put Windies a most exciting and Sri Lanka 2nd, but definitely agree that they are the most exciting.