• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Look, both sides better cut this 'third gear' rubbish out. It clearly isn't serious discussion any more, simply an attempt to wind other posters up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Because batting doesn't work like that. If your head falls across then your pad will too, and then you'll have to play around it. You can't bring your bat down straight if your leg is there so the shot he has to play to make contact hits the ball square. He's not doing it on purpose.
I don't think so exactly. He sees a ball on his leg and thinks easy runs legside but if he just looks to block the balls on his pads he would survive for longer. - Probably poorly worded, I'll see if there is an instance which shows what I'm talking about.

Just a force of habit. Hard to break out in the middle, but yeah so obvious. Was like Ponting leaning over in his twilight years in particular. Everyone knows he is doing it, even him, really difficult to change though.
Its just such a frustrating habit as he often looks good outside off. I still think he is looking to play legside on some deliveries thinking easy runs and missing them. I'm not referring to every LBW he's been out on.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think so exactly. He sees a ball on his leg and thinks easy runs legside but if just blocked the balls on his pads he would survive for longer.
I don't think he really can block it a lot of the time though; he's getting himself into a bad position and can only play across the line from there.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think he really can block it a lot of the time though; he's getting himself into a bad position and can only play across the line from there.
his head position might trick him into thinking it is further down leg than it really is too

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think so exactly. He sees a ball on his leg and thinks easy runs legside but if just blocked the balls on his pads he would survive for longer.

Its just such a frustrating habit as he often looks good outside off. I still think he is looking to play legside on some deliveries thinking easy runs and missing them. I'm not referring to every LBW he's been out on.
Watson's a boundary hitter, he likes to dominate and get on the front foot and force the issue. Problem is when you plant the front foot so early and prodigiously if the ball shapes in then you are forced to play across it with a minimal percentage of the bat face. If your eye is in you smash it for four, if its early in your innings you probably miss it and out LBW.

ajdude

International Coach
woakes out of lyon and eranga territory.

woakes now out of copeland territory.

i just remembered how good hussey was in that series and want to cry all of a sudden

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
5 bowlers now so shorter spells, I'm guessing. Seems a bit silly this innings though, early swing will be the best way of getting wickets by a long way.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watson's a boundary hitter, he likes to dominate and get on the front foot and force the issue. Problem is when you plant the front foot so early and prodigiously if the ball shapes in then you are forced to play across it with a minimal percentage of the bat face. If your eye is in you smash it for four, if its early in your innings you probably miss it and out LBW.
The thing is when he is set and has his eye in he still gets out the same way. Can't say it is something that only happens when he is new to the crease.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
See that shot just there? 12.2 overs. That was more what I'm talking about what he should do instead of looking to hit it to fine leg. It's not exactly a block but when he looks to hit it to fine leg he is just completely asking for trouble.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Quite stunned at the team selection. Makes me worry that Bresnan's injury might look long-term if they're this keen to get Woakes involved.